• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Didn't think it would be this hard

jenny17

I don't know what's going on. In the last 4 days I have eaten:

Saturday 503 cals 26g protein
Sunday 595 cals 51g protein
Monday 559 cals 51g protein
Tuesday 403 cals 39g protein

and have PUT ON 2 pounds since Saturday. I have been eating similar amounts to this for the last 3 weeks and in the two weeks prior to Saturday had only lost about 3 pounds. Am I doing something wrong. It makes me feel as if I should eat even less. I just can't understand it. Is it just a case of waiting for my body to catch up or do I need to do something different?

According to a website , with my weight, age and height and even with no exercise I need at least 1400 cals a day to maintain. so 600 should be more than enough to lose plenty. I am eating healthly and don't want to just fill up with liquid calories such as milk when I am not hungry. I am not sure what I do now.

You are not eating enough, chick :(:( Aim for 800cals & at least 2litres of water & watch the weight come of. Starvation mode is a very real danger with the number of cals you are consuming. Make the extra 300cals contain as much protein as possible with milky coffee or babybel snacks. Good luck, honey :) xxx

Thx for this useful post. I fear I'm in this category. Must do better, must do better ........

It sounds so complicated, trying to get the calorie/protein balance right :confused:
I'd better get doing some serious research. My problem seems to be that lots of the high protein stuff for early on are milk based and I really don't like anything milky.

Stage 1 sucks tbh. Mushy's fine as is solids but I hated stage 1 by the end.

Nibble babybels,drink milk and chew almonds,have peanut butter on crackers.All extra calories but protien!

Thanks all. It is very complicated, logic tells me that the less I eat the more I will lose, and I am finding it very hard to eat more than I feel I need as my stupid brain is telling me " you are managing on 500 calories, if you eat more you will get fatter" and the guilt feels so strong. I have had a pint of milk in addition to the rest of today's total which takes me to 830 cals and 71g protein. I will try having the additional milk for the next week. At least I know that milk won't stretch my pouch, and see how it goes. :)

Ahem .. are you going to the loo ok and drinking enough? My losses are low when I have had a bad time of it, keep a food diary I try to eat no processed foods and try increasing veg too xx

mayamoo said:
Ahem .. are you going to the loo ok and drinking enough? My losses are low when I have had a bad time of it, keep a food diary I try to eat no processed foods and try increasing veg too xx

Actually it's funny you should say that, I am not going to the loo ok, and that did cross my mind. Two pounds seems to be a lot of gain in 4 days. I have been taking benefiber but hasn't really done anything although I think it is helping my diverticulosis but not much else, so I have resorted to some sennacot. I do keep a food diary on myfitnesspal, which is why I have been able to specify my calorie intake so precisely. I am eating mainly roast chicken with cottage cheese or low fat philly, fat free fromage frais and babybel light for snacks. I will admit I am not eating much veg, just really tomato, parsnips, green beans and brussel sprouts and onions but only with a meal where there is gravy. But on the wholeI think it is fairly healthy. I am only 6 weeks out so still experimenting with food. I am definitely drinking enough as I measure and weigh everything that passes my lips. I will try reducing the chicken and eating more mince and veg, see if that helps :)

Just got on the scales and I have put on 5 pounds since Saturday. I upped my calories to 800 yesterday and today and promptly gained 3 pounds, even thought the senakot worked its magic. I could cry.:(. I somehow think I might be one of the people for who the bypass fails...

I have ditched my own scales and weigh once a month at Boots. I found I was becoming obsessed with weighing before this.

Chin up and good luck x

The Mathis don't work. You won't put on 5 pounds by increasing your calories to 800 calories a day, so it's logically got to be something else! Your body is still recovering, adjusting to the after effects of a major op and going through its normal monthly fluctuations. I am a fine one to say this, but weighing daily is not the best thing, IF it's going to create negative thoughts. Think of weekly or even better, monthly loss, that way you keep things in perspective. I stalled and increased my calories / protein and the weight started to drop off. Also keep the fluid levels up. Sometimes it takes a leap of faith to increase your consumption ... While we are all different and you need to follow what your provider advises ... I and lots of other bypasses / banders / sleevers have taken that leap and it's worked. You WILL NOT fail x

Thanks:) yeah, it doesn't work out for me either. According to various websites, in order to put on and additional 5 pounds I would have to eat 37,500 extra calories which is absolutely not the case. In light of that, I wonder if I could be retaining water? If I am suddenly retaining water, why? I never use salt, and the food I have been eating isn't high in salt. It has also crossed my mine that is it possible I have a leak, but I would have thought that if I did I would be in pain, or feeling really ill. I think if nothing has improved next week, I will ring the hospital dietician for advice.

According to various websites, in order to put on and additional 5 pounds I would have to eat 37,500 extra calories

Is this right? I ask as I (incorrectly?) understood that 1lb of weight was circa 3500 calories. So, 5x3500 would be 17,500 extra calories.

Of course the worst part is my body doesn't do the Maths either and in the past i may have done 10500 cals less (or more exercise) in a week - but my weight would not change at all (let alone the 3lb I was 'expecting'). But, if you are right, then that would explain it for me.

Last edited:
Hi Jenny you had the same op and consultant as me, have you followed your diet sheet I have seen the dietician several times twice in hospital and since at hosp app. also rang them for advice they always get back to you if they are busy. Are you following their advice, she told me NOT to count calories etc, just stick to 6 portions of protein, 2 carbs, 2 veg, 2 fruit and lots of water, by all means weigh n measure each portion till you know what a size is, it is all too easy to get into this trap of becoming obsessed with calories, n they don't want us back down that road thats how we got to the point of havn the op. Please get out your info and digest it, it is hard at first, and it does feel like your day revolves round eating and drinking forget the scales weigh only once a week the weeks you don't loose measure yourself. good luck and follow your hospital advice ring the dietician if you need to. Istill have loo problems, i have prune juice and yoghurts every day to help. xx

Hormones! Us ladies do suffer from all sorts of fluctuations which lead to temporary weight gain?the surgery will also affect your hormones.

Yeah, I am following it, but what is worrying me is how I can physically have put on 5 pounds since Saturday. This has been my first week back at work and therefore I have been much more active than the other weeks since my op. Logically that would mean that I should lose more, not gain. I have noticed that my hands are more swollen this morning and my feet feel itchy so wonder if water retention is the key. Thinking back I don't think passing as much liquid this week either.

Muttley1900 said:
Is this right? I ask as I (incorrectly?) understood that 1lb of weight was circa 3500 calories. So, 5x3500 would be 17,500 extra calories.

Of course the worst part is my body doesn't do the Maths either and in the past i may have done 10500 cals less (or more exercise) in a week - but my weight would not change at all (let alone the 3lb I was 'expecting'). But, if you are right, then that would explain it for me.

Yeah, sorry typo.

It's water retention! Trust me, it's warmer now and you've just gone back to work - all reasons why the scales are not telling the whole truth. Bet you if you relax and leave it another week, you'll lose loads! I gained weight in the early stages, I knew it was impossible but weight gain isn't just fat it's water fluctuation too.

Anna x.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I don't know what's going on. In the last 4 days I have eaten:

Saturday 503 cals 26g protein
Sunday 595 cals 51g protein
Monday 559 cals 51g protein
Tuesday 403 cals 39g protein

and have PUT ON 2 pounds since Saturday. I have been eating similar amounts to this for the last 3 weeks and in the two weeks prior to Saturday had only lost about 3 pounds. Am I doing something wrong. It makes me feel as if I should eat even less. I just can't understand it. Is it just a case of waiting for my body to catch up or do I need to do something different?

According to a website , with my weight, age and height and even with no exercise I need at least 1400 cals a day to maintain. so 600 should be more than enough to lose plenty. I am eating healthly and don't want to just fill up with liquid calories such as milk when I am not hungry. I am not sure what I do now.

You're caloric intake is too low. Your body is going through starvation mode. My minimum intake should be 1200 and most days I don't reach it by 100 or so calories. But the week I met my minimum I've lost the most. Try to up ur intake a little by having a protein shake daily.

Back