• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Didn't think it would be this hard

It's water retention! Trust me, it's warmer now and you've just gone back to work - all reasons why the scales are not telling the whole truth. Bet you if you relax and leave it another week, you'll lose loads! I gained weight in the early stages, I knew it was impossible but weight gain isn't just fat it's water fluctuation too.

Anna x.

I am pretty certain you are right. At the moment my calves are absolutely solid and swollen. That being the case, what is the best thing to get rid of it? Exercise or putting them up? Or something else entirely?

I think chrisa has the right idea, keep following the plan - post op I didn't even lose a pound until approx three weeks post op when suddenly 11lb dissapeared over night - keep on keeping on and you will get the results x

Am sure yours will kick in wouldnt weigh myself daily though as there are days that you will seem heavier than others as well as a week remembering menstral times etc as well as the water retention dont loose faith

If you have got bad water retention and its not the norm for you I would be off to your local pharmacy today for some advice you may need to see your doc xx

Have just seen dietician and showed her mfp. I have been grazing just to get the proteins in, which I shouldn't be getting into the habit of. Some good points were read labels as fat free doesn't mean sugar free - I was having loads of fat free yoghurts. Also I add a spoonful of dried sk milk powder to nearly everything, soups, coffee, fage.

The weight will come off babe, persevere. Do your clothes feel different?
All the best xx

jenny17 said:
I am pretty certain you are right. At the moment my calves are absolutely solid and swollen. That being the case, what is the best thing to get rid of it? Exercise or putting them up? Or something else entirely?

Keep drinking, it stimulates the kidneys to work. I'm trying to think back to my pre op weight which was 28 stone, it was May and very hot, I had swollen feet for weeks, but in time it gets better. It's a process and slowly my body adjusted to the shocks I'd inflicted on it and the weight dropped off! Be patient.

Anna x.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Cicca said:
Keep drinking, it stimulates the kidneys to work. I'm trying to think back to my pre op weight which was 28 stone, it was May and very hot, I had swollen feet for weeks, but in time it gets better. It's a process and slowly my body adjusted to the shocks I'd inflicted on it and the weight dropped off! Be patient.

Anna x.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks, I will stop worrying and be patient :)

Sorry you're struggling a little - hope things improve soon x

How are you doing now Jenny?

I have upped both my calories and water intake, but my legs are still really swollen and solid when I get in from work. I have also upped my exercise using kinect shape up on the Xbox and the last 2 days I have done 5 miles on the exercise bike, but couldn't do it tonight as my knees are hurting to much. Ibuprofen would have sorted the pain straight away. I have been taking paracetamol and codeine but it is nowhere near as good. I should go to my gp and see about an alternative. On the bright side I have lost most of the 5lb I put on and I have deffo lost inches so I feel a bit better about that. I am going into town tomorrow and going to try some herbal aqua ban and see if that helps. I might ring the dietician next week for advice if it doesn't work. I found out that SRH has a bariatric drop in clinic 3 days a week, so if still no better in a few weeks I will drop in there. Also I work in an office so don't have much opportunity to get up and about, and the water retention only started when I went back to work, hopefully excercise should also help I think.

It's weird because I know that stalls are common, but when it happens to you it is devastating. Before I had the bypass I was doing really well at losing the weight and sticking to the diet and I lost 2 and a half stone. (even though my past history proves that I would put it back on). I just keep thinking,what was the point of having the bypass, if I can't lose weight after when I was before. I know it is just psychological but I feel quite depressed about it. I am starting to get a bit obsessed about it and get on the scales at least three times a day and even get on after I have been to the toilet. Hopefully i will be able to stop once the stall ends, if it does. Before I had my op I was on a very low calorie diet and I keep wondering whether I have screwed up my metabolism :(

On the bright side I start my swimming lessons on Monday, which I am quite excited about. I also found out that there is a Boxercise class quite close to me and I deffo want to try that:)

Got the scales this morning for the weekly weigh-in I count on my signature, and I am 14 stone 5 1/2 pounds, which I feel much better about, but my legs still feel uncomfortable so there is definitely still some water there. Going for a day out shopping so will get plenty of walking in rather than being stat at a desk all day. Hopefully that will help:)

Stick at it Jenny, even when you stall keep the focus as your body does catch back up! I know what you mean about feeling devastated with a stall, particularly if you can hand on heart say you've been angel, you'll come good though x

Got the scales this morning for the weekly weigh-in I count on my signature, and I am 14 stone 5 1/2 pounds, which I feel much better about

Too right you should, that's nearly 2lb down from 2 weeks ago, even taking into account the increase from last week!

Last edited:
It sounds so complicated, trying to get the calorie/protein balance right :confused:
I'd better get doing some serious research. My problem seems to be that lots of the high protein stuff for early on are milk based and I really don't like anything milky.

Emma, you're gonna be screwed with the milk diet then :8855:

Went into town today, and it was really nice. No sign of rain. It seems that even though I am losing weight quite slowly, I am losing inches. Managed to fit (and look good) in a pair of size 16 jeans from Marks & Spencer's. I am really happy and feel a lot less stressed. I also bought some aquaban so hopefully that will help get rid of the damn water :)

Retfordmag said:
Emma, you're gonna be screwed with the milk diet then :8855:

you can do the low carb option instead of the milk diet so don't panic x

Back