• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3rd party reference to your pouch / band

tpt

Uber geek
Morning all....I was chatting to nursey sis the other day telling her that my pouch didn't like something or another and reacted blah blah..she commented that since the surgery I referred to my pouch as a 3rd party and not something that was part of me. She also said that this was unhealthy and that I should consider it part of *my* body and take ownership of it and any reactions / behaviours should be my stomach or body behaviours. She said it is a slippery slope by viewing the pouch as a seperate entity.

TBH I had not thought about it but on reading through a few pages on this forum, I realise that actually there are a fair number of us that do this. I am unsure whether it is because we are being asked for specific information or details that relate just to the pouch or band but would be interested to know what you think? Do you refer and think of your pouch / band as a seperate entity? Do you talk about it's behaviour as if it were something seperate to your body (that you have no control over) or do you generalise and talk about the overall stomach effects or side effects?
:flirt2::flirt2:

Really agree with this. Mia

We are ALL different in some way's which is what makes us ALL special on this planet...For me I look at myself as the "same",100% me....as NOTHING has been removed from me just altered.
M

I don't talk about my new pouch as a seperate entity but as something I have been given that needs special care and attention and needs to be treated with respect not like my old stomach.

I don't see it as being as seperate entity, but being so early post op I am super aware of my pouch and all it's workings:D:D

My stomach band is called Tiny Tummy and her birthsign is Piscean/ Aries cusp. She is quite a moody old thing - liking something one day and then refuses to eat more than a bite the next day. I love her.

Is this strange?........

Maybe its because we have been told to view our pouches as a tool. I find it very hard to think along the lines of my pouch being a normal part of my anatomy. Its not normal now and I have to be constantly aware of it so that it can do its job properly.

I'm not sure its unhealthy to think like that either.

not being post op I cant speak for myself but thinking about it. Maybe its referred to as 'my pouch/band' as in the initial stages you have to be aware of it most of the time.
Then as you get later on it just becomes habit ? Very interesting though, think I might give mine a name, like Albert or Phylis :D

Why is "my pouch" any different from the statement "my arm, my leg, my nose etc..."

The pouch is part of us just as much as any part of our body is. If you went to the doctors and said
"Doctor it's my arm, it's been playing up, all achey" (describing arm in 3rd party)
should we now say
"Doctor, it's one of my upper connective appendages that holds things and can wave about it hurts"

Sorry, I think your nurse was nit picking a little and giving you something else to worry about. :eek:

I agree 100% with Caz

Somedays i'll day 'my pouch' cant tolerate it or others I might say 'I' cant tolerate it, its just whatever comes out of my mouth at the time

The pouch, although I havent got mines yet, is definately a part of us and not a 3rd party.
I think it is just a natural thing to refer to 'my pouch' or 'my band', I agree with caz it is no different from 'my arm' or 'my leg', and doesnt necessarily mean you are not accepting or embracing it.
However it is interesting how others see things and by the way I think you are doing just fine. Congrats on you weight loss, and give'pouch' my best...........lol. Just kidding.

Jenny you made me laugh, that is wicked............Tiny Tummy..........brillxx

Jay xx

Sorry, I think your nurse was nit picking a little and giving you something else to worry about. :eek:

She is my sis not my nurse, she just happens to be a nurse and far more qualified than I was when I did my nurse training over 20 years ago! I will ask again for her reasons against 3rd party ref and pop them on the thread - can't remember at mo.

Sorry it wasn't clear to me who you were referring to, I saw it as sister as in nursing sister.

But still, does it matter how we refer to our new plumbing?

I just think of my band as my "Buddy". I used to be a "Buddy when training newcomers and had to follow their every move. My new "Buddy" goes everywhere with me and will continue to do so while I'm on this journey.So YES I suppose I speak of it as a third party toox

Back