• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Do you feel your band after each Meal???

pauladerm

Hi all,
I was banded on the 10th of June with my starting weight at 18st 5 and today I weigh 14stone 10. I have had 2fills which brings my band fills to 5mls in a 10ml band.
My question is: after each meal can you feel your band or the top of your stomach very hard? Yesterday after eating egg salad and tiny slice of bread, I could feel my band and the top part of my stomach , it was very hard like a rock and later it did settle. I have never realised that. I don't know if that has always happened and I hadn't realised it or it's something new.
I am just a little bit worried as I tend to eat large mouthful though I chew and chew the food. Is this common or I should have a ring to my provider.
One more thing, I do eat a lot of toast almost every morning, I have never had food stuck or any discomfort or pain. All that I have had is constipation since after my surgery and I have1 tablet of Ducolax almost every night .
It will be of great help if I get some of ur views.
Thanks guys

Im a new bander but both my daughters are long term banders and they still have to chew very small bit size mouthfuls or they get stuck and have discomfort

I think you need to slow down and reduce size of each mouthful and you might find that will help

Also Both Daughters can only eat a small amount of bread each day..how about you try a wrap its easier to eat, so they tell me

Nice to meet you
Val x

Thanks Minn, for the advice. I felt much better after having my dinner last night as I decided to have scramble egg instead of something crunchy. I am also trying to get rid of my bad habit by eating small mouthfuls and chew my food very well. So all that made a slight difference and I also realised that I was bloated.
Well I see I can't get much help on this topic, so I will channel it to my provider. Anyways thanks guys.

I'm sorry I've not seen this thread before. I haven't felt my band in the way that you describe, but then I haven't had any level of restriction. Now that I am finally getting there, I do feel the sensation of food above it in a way that I haven't before and I can tell that the hole into the stomach is incredibly small.

This is like learning all over again, because a lot of this is resolved by eating very small bites (not bigger than a 50p piece from my provider) chewing longer and more and then waiting more. I am finding at the moment that I'm having to wait a long time after a mouthful before I can have another one.

It sounds as if the feeling you're getting is because the mouthful is far too large, even though you may chew it, there's just too much volume of food, it therefore sits above the band and at the top of the stomach and while it will eventually pass through, it is the fact its sitting there which can lead to stretching the pouch above the band - hence why small mouthfuls are really important :)

Do be careful though if you find that soft foods are going through ok and other foods aren't, that could be an argument to suggest that you are over restricted and the urge to then start eating foods that are soft and sliders leads us into foods that aren't band friendly and more often than not higher in fat and calories and then puts you into a place of not working with the band :)

id be wary of the bread its a nono from my provider along with rice and pasta and eggs can also be hard to ea when u have a degree of restriction I think you need to look at the food your eating as well as the mouthfuls I only feel like you described when I eat foods not so compatable with me

Oh wow pauladerm you have done so well weight wise. I was banded 2 weeks after u and was similar weight. I had 5 in but was too tight so had De fill. ...now at 4.25, but I cant eat eggs, bread or potatoes. Am amazed u can have toast every day, have no advice for u but just wanted to say well done x x

im newly banded and still on liquids so i cant really say, but well done on your weightloss! x x x

Thanks guys, just trying to change my habits and I have noticed the difference. I need to be careful as not to stretch my band. So I have been eating small mouthfuls and it make so much difference. However, I have realised that I can now feel my port all time, I believe it's due to the fact that I have lost weight. So now it's becoming more prominent as I am loosing weight faster around my tummy than my thighs and also It's such a strange feeling touching a foreign object in my body.lol lol lol. I guess I just have to get use to that.
Thanks ones more for the heads up, as it always feel good to have such lovely advice from y'all .

it's common to feel the port as you lose weight, I can feel mine and cos it's moved a couple of inches it catches on my ribs when I bend over or exercise.

Glad that eating differently is helping - it's an ongoing learning curve, with each fill changing how things are - since my last I've got to learn and we sometimes forget...

Back