• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

4 weeks and counting

bex.wils

Hi everyone,
I have just come across this page whist looking for feedback of pre op diets, post op details and generally anything to do with WLS. I tried to find blogs to try and follow people's journey but there was no really recent ones I could find.
However this forum seems a great way to talk and discover everything.
I'm getting my band on 28th oct and will start my pre op diet on 21st. I'm looking at the variety on the milk and yoghurt diet rather than the food look calorie low carb diet, I'm open to any ideas, advice, feedback or just general feedback and info on everyone's thoughts and experiences.
I look forward to talking to u all and hopefully gaining support and advice too :) x

Hello bex.wils
for me, I did the food diet because I couldn't face the slimfast or milk ones for the 4 weeks I had to do the pre op diet for !
But since your only doing it for 1 week it shouldn't be that bad
very good luck to you

Hi Los and thanks for the advice.
What sort of things can u eat on the food pre op diet?
I'm trying to get my head around it as I'm picky with soups and food. I just don't want to struggle.
Just over 3 weeks to go x

I was allowed cracker bread cherry tomotoes fish ( size of a cheque book....who has a cheque book!
2 pieces of fruit a day 1/3of milk and 100g of protein in a meal chicken or whatever you liked with fat taken off a breakfast bowl of salad unlimited drinks with no sugar
have to say it was ok for me I did slip up a couple of times, having 1 banana to many or crisp bread to many but over all it worked for me a typical day would be
Breakfast
4× cracker bread 4 cherry tomotoes 2x boiled eggs tea milk no sugar
lunch
1x ham sandwich side salad fruit squash
dinner
cod loin baked in oven with 3 small potatoes boiled or mashed fruit squash no added sugar ones
snacks
2 x bananas
this was a routine that worked for me if it helps have a look at my food log in I did as my pre op and includes my pre op LSD on it as well
good luck

I did food option too.

My diet was:

Breakfast: a toast with a tiny bit of low fat spread or non sugary cereal (up to 40g)

Lunch: 50g of protein (fish, ham, chicken, turkey..), 50g of carbs (there was a spesific list of carbs i could have. Like slice of bread, 2xcrispbread, potato, carrot, sweed, parsnip, lentil, pasta, rice and so on) and green salad/veg (there was a list too for example green salad, tomatoes, cucumber, cauliflower, brocoli..). If i wanted i could have changed my protein into 30g of low fat cheese or 2 eggs.

Dinner: 50g of protein, 50g of carbs from the list and vegetable.(also instead of 50g of lean meat or fish i was allowed 30g of low fat cheese or 2 eggs)

Also i was able to have 200ml of milk (i used it for cereal in the morning), 2 portions of fruit (banana, apple, pear..) and one pot of youghurt Low fat and less than 10g of sugar in 100g).

It was easy to follow, i didnt feel like i was starving. I went to the gym during those two weeks, had plenty of energy most of the time :) drank a ton of water (up to 3.5l a day) and i was really happy to see 1st 1lbs loss at the end of the diet and my liver did shrink enough to let the surgeon do the surgery.

Thank u so much ladies, it's making me rethink my choices for pre op. I'm going to re read the lists of food options and see if I can plan my week around meals and work, I'd much prefer to eat rather than be on liquids, I think I would feel in missing out however if I do liquids only it may ease me into the post op liquid diet better?!
Hmm decisions xx

Good luck with your pre-op choice and your surgery I will follow your progress, I hope that I'll get a date soon x

Last edited:
Hi Janet I hope you're ok?! How far along in your journey are u?
After looking at the calorie controlled diet I am opting for this. The good intake is small portions if certain protein and carb based foods weighed and measured. I start this on Monday 14th.
I'm also choosing to do this for 2 weeks rather than the one week my surgeon requested of me.
The reason for doing so is so I can start my life changing journey of weight loss sooner, see results sooner, and get my head around how I'm going to be eating for the rest of my life. There's also the small matter of I want a perfectly tiny liver too lol.
Thanks for the well wishes. Xx

After looking at the calorie controlled diet I am opting for this. The good intake is small portions if certain protein and carb based foods weighed and measured. I start this on Monday 14th.
I'm also choosing to do this for 2 weeks rather than the one week my surgeon requested of me.
The reason for doing so is so I can start my life changing journey of weight loss sooner, see results sooner, and get my head around how I'm going to be eating for the rest of my life. There's also the small matter of I want a perfectly tiny liver too lol.

Hi Bex.wils
I have only just got my letter for my 1st appointment to see the Bariatric Nurse Practitioner Group Session on the 7th November on the back of letter it say's 18 week referral to treatment time! So I hope that means surgery. But I don't know for sure I was hoping that someone on here had been trough same process at Bournemouth

I take it you're going through the NHS? I tried that route, they put me on Orlostat for 9 months and took photocopies of my slimming world book, I seen the dr once a month for 3 months after that and I got nowhere. All I got was there is no funding. And the way I felt, even if there was funding I would still have to live my boring miserable fat life for another 6-12 months before my life could change and by this point I was sick of myself and totally fed up so I decided to go private.
How are u finding the process?! Have u got all the info u need, or do u just have to wait until 7th nov? X

Hi Bex.wils
Yes I am going NHS and I have to wait until 7th Nov to find out anything :0( But, I'm hopeing that the process won't be that long as on back of letter it say's from referral to treatment 18 week target. So that would mean by February at latest, so I've got my fingers crossed. Glad to hear you have got your journey planned out I think it helps getting your head around your new way of life. Good luck keep me updated with your progress x

Hiya!! Just thought if drop in let you know how I'm getting on!!
I'm 3 days on to my 2 week pre op diet, and my scales say iv lost 7lbs! I'm buzzing!
I'm currently on the vlc diet, not sure whether I'm doing this for the full 2 weeks or changing to milk and yoghurt next week.
How are u getting on Janet? Any news/dates? X

Hiya!! Just thought if drop in let you know how I'm getting on!!
I'm 3 days on to my 2 week pre op diet, and my scales say iv lost 7lbs! I'm buzzing!
I'm currently on the vlc diet, not sure whether I'm doing this for the full 2 weeks or changing to milk and yoghurt next week.
How are u getting on Janet? Anywell news/dates? X

Well done 7lb!! Oh I wish I was at the same stage as you! But until I go on the 7th Nov for my group session I don't know! Hopeing it won't be too long as it says on back of letter their target is from referral to treatment is within 18 weeks!! So my fingers are firmly crossed! Please keep me updated love to follow your progress.

Hi Bex.wils,

I'm so excited!! I got my paperwork come today(Bariatric Surgical Assessment & Patient Questionnaire) to fill in and take to my 3hour Group Session when they will be doing blood tests etc on the 7th Nov with my surgeons names on it are Mr Davis & Mr Byrom. :0)

That great news!! Is that just blood tests and things then it do u get to meet your surgeon and ask questions etc?!
This has come around so quickly for me! Only 12 days left of pre op then I'll be sat firmly on that losers bench!! X

That great news!! Is that just blood tests and things then it do u get to meet your surgeon and ask questions etc?!
This has come around so quickly for me! Only 12 days left of pre op then I'll be sat firmly on that losers bench!! X
I cannot believe you only have 12 days to go! Great news! In think from the way it reads I might be seeing a surgeon either Mr Byron or Mr Davis the first app said 2hrs this one says 3hrs so hopefully! I'm so excited cannot wait until 7th seems along way off but its not really I'm hopeing I will have the sleeve but he might have other ideas lol

Back