• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

5 months since requesting surgery and I've just been to the clinic

louisaL

looking to make a change!
Its been ages since I was last on here I had almost given up hope of my journey even beginning.

Today I went to Luton & Dunstable obesity clinic as the panel gave permission for me to be assessed.

I spoke to a doctor and a nurse today and had my bloods done and an ecg.

They said it will be extremely unlikely that I wont be granted permission to have the surgery done. :D

I am now waiting for another date to go back to meet the surgeon, dietican and phychiatrist and I will be put on the cambridge diet to loose 5% of my weight as my bmi is 65 and apparently needs to ideally be no more than 60.

does the beginning of the journey so right to everyone who done it?

hope i havent been given any false information.

Last edited:
Its sounding good to me. Congratulations on having made your first steps. xxx

thanks guys :)

not sure what the delay has been as the authorisation was made in aug lol

Louisa its just a slow process I think pet. Just settle your mind to that. I got my funding even before my referral by my GP and it still took 18 months!

Its been ages since I was last on here I had almost given up hope of my journey even beginning.

Today I went to Luton & Dunstable obesity clinic as the panel gave permission for me to be assessed.

I spoke to a doctor and a nurse today and had my bloods done and an ecg.

They said it will be extremely unlikely that I wont be granted permission to have the surgery done. :D

I am now waiting for another date to go back to meet the surgeon, dietican and psychologist and I will be put on the cambridge diet to loose 5% of my weight as my bmi is 65 and apparently needs to ideally be no more than 60.

does the beginning of the journey so right to everyone who done it?

hope i havent been given any false information.
Hi Laura...
Its Exciting huh...:D
I went for my first appointment at the L&D two weeks ago....:cool::cool::cool:
Like you I am now waiting for the Dietitian/Psychologist and lose 5% appointment .:character00116:
I was told it would be between 6-9 months before I get surgery.(I have funding in place!)

The waiting is a killer ...but we will get there in the end hun X:DX:D

thanks everyone i'm so impatient its unbelievable

thanks lisa its great to see someone else at the same hospital x

and hey zoe x

Last edited:
There is a few of us L&Ders around...
Hopefully we wont have to wait to long for our appointments...(she says finger tapping the desk with impatience!)

Take a deep breath and be prepared for anything!I started this journey aug 08,funding applied for this feb and approved this June.Still havnt seen the consultant at the Spire yet but hope to see him before chrimbo so surgery if I get it will be next year!Im 56 in march and hope Im done by then.Maz x

It sounds like your on your road to wls now!! :D

I am a L&D patient....applied for funding Feb 09 refused:mad:, appealled and had it granted in June 09.

Had my 1st appt at hosp 24th July 09, (i had a previous appt made with weight loss management team so they just transferred me over to the surgical team ;)) Saw the bariatric nurse and the lovely Dr Haslam and was 'officially' reffered to the surgial team!
I had a long wait for the trio of appts, (psychologist, dietician and bariatric nurse), 2nd Nov 09, and then I commenced the milk diet to lose 5% of my weight.

2nd Dec 09, I went back to the Dietician and had lost 7% so they were pleased and I was then given an appt to see the Consultant (14th Jan)....I was given Mr Jain, which I was very pleased about :D:D

Saw Mr Jain and had lost a little bit more and was given the date March 31st 2010!:553:
So from first being seen by the team to surgery was a total of 8 mths.

Hope this is of some help to you and good luck with your journey x

I was bypassed at the L&D as well from 1st appointment until day of surgery was 8 months, please be aware though if you dont lose the 5% in the 4 weeks it will be longer, don't wanna put a downer on it for you just want you to be aware.
Good luck they are a great team there. I'm there on 18th of November for check up and post op blood tests

thanks daftmoo. 5% for me is 1st 4lbs and i lost 10lbs in my first week both times of doing the cambridge diet before so i'm quite confident i can do it...or put it this way i WILL do it lol

sounds very promising im sending luck sweets x

oh hi karma (sorry was reading up the post lol)

nice to see you L&B ladies as well

ok so i best start saying 8 months then lol so that July 2011. hey thats not bad got hubby's 30th in june so can at least enjoy his birthday meal with him lol

thanks cherry x

Back