• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

5 weeks since referal and Dr has just phoned.

stripeytop

The pct has turned me down because I don't have all the requirements. Dr doesn't even think it is worth re-applying because she has been through all my notes and cant see anything that she can use. (not diabetic & no sleep ap) I know I should be happy because I am healthy.

Now I really need to look at going private. I can get a loan and my husband backs me.

I might have to consider surgery abroad to be able to afford this. I will have a read through the threads for advice on this but if any one has any comments on this I'm all ears.

Sorry you are unable to get funding but great news that hubby supports you and will help with getting a loan for the op
all the very best wishes

Jay xx

I am so sorry your PCT turned you down. That is so awful. I am going private as the NHS hospital I was referred to treated me so horribly. Are you hoping for a bypass or a band?

cant comment on having surgery abroad but if it were me, I would try and find someone in the UK as much for aftercare as anything else. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'm going privately. As interest rates are so low at the moment, I increased my mortgage. Over the space of the next 10 years it's not much extra every month and it'll be worth it for the health benefits alone. Plus, you get to have it sooner. I will have waited 3 months from my initial consultation which is much better than the NHS waiting list. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies. Am hoping for a band rather than a bypass. Have been trawling the threads for surgery in Belgium as this doesn't feel too far away.
I live in Norfolk so am limited in UK options anyway. I did speak to my Dr about aftercare.

Feel so mixed up about it all. Good job I found this site, but just not sure what to do next.

I am sorry your PCT wont fund you, it is so disheartening. I wish you good luck in your search, and hope you find somewhere soon,.

My pct has also turned me down, BMI is not high enough and although I have diabetes, still no go. I am therefore considering going private and would like to have Mr. Ammori do the op in Manchester. Can anyone tell me how to do this please?

Hello there

Am sorry to hear your pct turned you down for funding, What PCT are you under ??? why does your doc think theres no point appealing ??? Have you no health related weight issue at all?? and also I hope I not speaking out of turn here , but isnt it up to you wether you appeal not up too the doctor (unless there is something I do not know about ) If there is I apologise.

Good luck In what you decide

All the best - MeJulie xx

Hi Stripey

there is someone on here called Island Breeze who has similar surgery to gastric bypass in Belgium and is very happy with the results. It was a different pocedure for a medical condition but the surgeon also does bariatric.

She might not be contactable at the moment as has had to travel I will try and remember where it was she went in Belgium and let you know

Sorry the NHS turned you down. :( something strange seems to eb goin on at the moment re wls they seem to be having a mad rush to get people on the waiting list done and their are also a lot being turned down. Wonder if there are changes afoot!

Hi Stripey

There is a company in Prague I think called Cosmetic Bliss that have had very good reviews. I did consider going with them and they were very helpful but decided that because it is such major surgery (I had bypass) I stayed in the UK. Mind you I still had to travel from Edinburgh to Manchester which is far enough. I had Mr Ammori at the Spire and he is fantastic.

Good luck with whatever option you decide.

Hello there

What PCT are you under ??? why does your doc think theres no point appealing ???

Am under Norfolk who do not follow the NICE (?) guidelines. You need a bmi over 40 and either diabetes or sleep apnea.
I have looked at the pcts meetings notes and it looks like they have only funded 1 band in the past 6 months.

My Dr said that she had gone through all my medical history and can't find any health problems that would help with my cause. I did feel that she had been helpful.

I am therefore considering going private and would like to have Mr. Ammori do the op in Manchester. Can anyone tell me how to do this please?

I am seeing Mr Ammori privately through Healthier Weight. He also goes through a few other companies I believe. I found Healthier Weight to be the best option for me and I really liked their aftercare.

stripeytop

sorry you are having this problem concerning funding.

Dr Bruno Dillemanns st jin hospital Brugge Belgium

I looked into going abroad in 2007 as my friend had gone to Dr Bruno Dillemanns st jin hospital Brugge Belgium, she was delighted with him and the hospital. The only down fall is the price of sterling at the moment as the euro is much stronger than our pound. So the price of surgery may not be so atractive.

So sorry you have been turned down. I am going through all this too, I have been turned down twice and am going tomorrow and friday for sleep apnea tests. If I turn out to have it I can have the op but if I don't I will need to appeal again. The next appeal is a face to face meeting with the chair of the panel. He then takes it back to the panel again for another decision to be made. I am hoping (I know how silly it sounds) I get a diagnosis of sleep apnea as I have a bmi of 60 and my pct has the same criteria as yours. Good luck with whatever you decide but you can appeal if you want to.

Sorry to hear you have been turned down, I was too as I have no co-morbidities, it's really disappointing huh? I too decided to borrow the money to go private and I'm hoping it'll be the best few grand ever spent! :cross:
Good luck with whatever you decide,
Cuppa xx

Thanks everyone for the information.
Have googled the Dr in Belgium and filled in some enquiry forms.
Would love to get this sorted as soon as possible but have a holiday booked for two weeks 24th Nov.

I am so sorry your PCT turned you down. That is so awful. I am going private as the NHS hospital I was referred to treated me so horribly. Are you hoping for a bypass or a band?
FashioblyLate,Many thanks for your response and I have booked a consultation with Healtier Weight.

stripeytop

sorry you are having this problem concerning funding.

Dr Bruno Dillemanns st jin hospital Brugge Belgium

I looked into going abroad in 2007 as my friend had gone to Dr Bruno Dillemanns st jin hospital Brugge Belgium, she was delighted with him and the hospital. The only down fall is the price of sterling at the moment as the euro is much stronger than our pound. So the price of surgery may not be so atractive.

Hi Stripeytop am sorry you were turned down and i cant understand why your doc wont even try to appeal:sigh:
The reason i am quoting gingernutter`s post is that i 2 have heard very good things about Dr dillemanns and i looked into having surgery with him a few yrs back.
Take care xx

Hi
Sorry you were turned i know where you are coming from i wouldn't have got funding here in Glasgow because i too was healthy. I like Andrea went privately to Mr Ammori in Manchester a distance of 220 miles it is worth it to think of the expense of aftercare. Good luck with your consultation x

Back