• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

6 months nearly up!

ChefClay

Hi to fellow members

On the 15th of March it will have been 6 months since my bypass operation.
Still not had had a post op appointment yet from the hospital! Next one in June! So much for 6 weeks after op to see if my health is okay, any problems, progress??!! That is Sunderland Royal for you!

Fortunately no problems as such. Still have a bad habit of eating too fast and more importantly, not drinking enough fluids! Working hard to resolve this!
Food balance not a problem, meds ok now! Once again, no thanks to dietitians at Sunderland Royal!

As you can gather, really disappointed regarding lack of 'follow-up' from the hospital. Prior to the op they made great play about the importance of post-op recovery and the help they would give if needed. Nothing, absolutely nothing!
I have had to fight for every phone call, appointment, meds & advice.

With regard to the operation, no regrets at all. Weight coming off nice and steady, five and half stone lost now since I started the journey.

If I can be of any help to anyone with regards to advice through my experience, please get in touch.
Good to be back in touch with you all again

Regards - Paul xx

Hi Paul, glad to hear your doing well "despite the hospitals lack of aftercare".
the speed that we eat is a hard one to master "I'm still having that problem to" I would put it on the same level as headhunger.

Hi Paul, glad to hear your doing well "despite the hospitals lack of aftercare".
the speed that we eat is a hard one to master "I'm still having that problem to" I would put it on the same level as headhunger.
Cheers Sue, one thing I do that is beginning to work well is regarding the portions. Whatever I fancy cooking, I automatically half the portion.
I know this might sound blatantly obvious, but my brain tells me that I want a certain amount, but I was finding that my body was only allowing 50% of the serving.
It's a bit of a mind game, but it is working for me so far x

hi Paul, I'm OK as long as I remember that it takes 5 to 10 mins to reach my stomach, I'm usualy OK but if I go out with other people I sometimes forget.

Paul i think poor aftercare is not just prevalent with your provider, so please don't think your the only one! Luckily it seems like your doing well, any sign of mrs chef getting a date yet? xx

Good to hear that you are doing well, Paul! Great weight loss :)

Sorry to hear that your experience at Sunderland has been so poor. (I got a letter from them this week cancelling an appointment that I didn't know I had!) Do you think they are biting off more than they can chew?

Hi Paul

Well done on your loss so far!

Shame the City aren't doing so well :cry:

x x

Good to hear that you are doing well, Paul! Great weight loss :)

Sorry to hear that your experience at Sunderland has been so poor. (I got a letter from them this week cancelling an appointment that I didn't know I had!) Do you think they are biting off more than they can chew?
Hi Gill, nice to hear from you again. I think your comment was spot on.
My whinge is not at any individual because you could not meet a nicer bunch, but the system is letting them down. It is apparent that there is far too much workload for the number of staff they have available. I count everybody in that position by the way, from admin to consultant. They do not seem to have the time available, but the number of patients they are dealing with over the last few years has increased dramatically.
It is not for me to pass comment on the workings of the NHS system, but I can discuss how my experience has revealed the pressure of work on those involved.
I am amazed that the staff concerned have stayed so long within the Bariatric Department, the stress involved must immense. Something has to give that is for sure!
Regards - Paul x

Hi Paul

Well done on your loss so far!

Shame the City aren't doing so well :cry:

x x
Hi Maz, do not mention the 'City'! The points they have wasted this season has been unbelievable. Still, Saturday's result has kept the peace in the area for another year!
Not too far from 'Goal' for you now, you have done excellent. How is life in general? xx

Hi Maz, do not mention the 'City'! The points they have wasted this season has been unbelievable. Still, Saturday's result has kept the peace in the area for another year!
Not too far from 'Goal' for you now, you have done excellent. How is life in general? xx

Shocking isnt it! Yes really pleased with THAT result ha ha ;)

I did reach my goal but I've lowered it a bit, so not much more to go.

Life is good ta, hope things are for you and Bev too x x

Shocking isnt it! Yes really pleased with THAT result ha ha ;)

I did reach my goal but I've lowered it a bit, so not much more to go.

Life is good ta, hope things are for you and Bev too x x
Unfortunately Bev has been very poorly with a gall bladder infection. Been in Gateshead Hospital nearly all February, but came out last week. Back in on Tuesday for gall bladder removal! 2nd attempt!, the first op was stopped as it was too dangerous to continue with all the poison in and around the site.
Consequently her Bypass has been delayed until this has been sorted! She is not a happy bunny at present xx

OMG poor thing! so sorry to hear that :eek:

I had a gall bladder infection many years ago and it was the most painful thing ever!

Hope all goes well with the removal op and she gets her bypass soon x x

Paul forgive me for mentioning this but surely you're only 5 months post-op on 15th March?

I'm not nit-picking about your posting here...I was just surprised is all and I think you're a month ahead of yourself? If its right that your surgery was in October?

Oh yes, I remember! I know it was, as you went down for your op the week I was back in hospital at 8 weeks post-op with major complications! I'll never forget that date, as it was my hubby's birthday the day they took me back to surgery!

Given that, you've done amazingly well with your weight loss.

I know what you mean about SRH. I've been very lucky with my after-care, but having major complications has tended to move me to the front of the queue!

But my surgeon was very frank with me about the demand for surgery far out-stripping the supply and resources being stretched way beyond the limits.

And on my 2 subsequent trips back to the bariatric clinics and ward, I've seen how hard-pressed they are.

You've got it right there, Paul. They must all be under such enormous pressure. Sorry to hear Bev has been so poorly. Hope she's feeling better now and getting back on track for her bypass.

Paul forgive me for mentioning this but surely you're only 5 months post-op on 15th March?

I'm not nit-picking about your posting here...I was just surprised is all and I think you're a month ahead of yourself? If its right that your surgery was in October?

Oh yes, I remember! I know it was, as you went down for your op the week I was back in hospital at 8 weeks post-op with major complications! I'll never forget that date, as it was my hubby's birthday the day they took me back to surgery!

Given that, you've done amazingly well with your weight loss.

I know what you mean about SRH. I've been very lucky with my after-care, but having major complications has tended to move me to the front of the queue!

But my surgeon was very frank with me about the demand for surgery far out-stripping the supply and resources being stretched way beyond the limits.

And on my 2 subsequent trips back to the bariatric clinics and ward, I've seen how hard-pressed they are.
Hi Grace, thanks for keeping me right, lol! It came up as a reminder on an on-line calendar, but it was obviously my first op date! Seems years ago, not months! Will not post on this forum yet then for a few more weeks!
On a positive note, lost more weight in a shorter time!
Glad to see that you are on target with your goal weight, have they managed to sort out the complications you unfortunately had?
ps; Got weighed this morning, 99kg! Wierd feeling being under the 100 mark!
Regards, Paul xx

Hia Paul. Sorry love, I hope you didn't think I was being precious! Post away for me hon!

Yes, hopefully the complications are now a thing of the past. I had a perforated gut which was very nasty....and then recently severe pain which I thought may be the same thing again! But after lots of investigations they think it's probably adhesions, which will hopefully settle down by themselves over time. If not it will have to be more surgery.

At the moment things are looking very hopeful, as I haven't had any severe pan for a few weeks now.

I'm sorry to hear your wife's been having a tough time. Does she know when her surgery will be yet? Under 100kg eh? It feels so good doesn't it?
I think I'm below 80kg now! At the moment it's also slightly surreal for me. I simply haven't got my head around it at all yet.

But its great too! :D

Back