• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post-op app. at Sunderland - 9 MONTHS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChefClay

Just left a thread to Joylouise regarding her post-op appointment, some people believe I should share this info!
My op was 15th October 2010. I have not had any follow-up appointment or even any contact from the hospital (Sunderland Royal) since then.
I did contact them once regarding a Vitamin query, but the dietician was very busy and could only chat for a few minutes, told me that was hospital 'Protocol'!
My first appointment since my op is late June 2011, nearly 9 months since my operation.
So much for the importance of 'Aftercare'!
Regards - Paul xx

Just left a thread to Joylouise regarding her post-op appointment, some people believe I should share this info!
My op was 15th October 2010. I have not had any follow-up appointment or even any contact from the hospital (Sunderland Royal) since then.
I did contact them once regarding a Vitamin query, but the dietician was very busy and could only chat for a few minutes, told me that was hospital 'Protocol'!
My first appointment since my op is late June 2011, nearly 9 months since my operation.
Regards - Paul xx
To Moderators;

Could this thread be placed in a prominent forum please? (This is the 2nd time I have had to criticise Sunderland Hospital and it may be just coincidence, but my thread (s) keep getting tucked out of the way!
I feel the matter I have raised is extremely relevant to all members, especially those receiving treatment at Sunderland and I would appreciate it if could be displayed for all to see. Please advise me if you consider I am displaying threads in an inappropiate forum - Regards, Paul

If no one replies to the post would it not get dropped further down?

It's terrible to think you have waited so long for an appointment? Have you chased them? Sometimes I think we are responsible for ourselves to ensure things get done. On a positve note you have had the surgery and seem to be doing really well with it?

Xxx

Regards - Paul xx

9 months for a post op appointment is appalling, doesnt hold out much hope for the rest of srh patients does it............ what are their reasons for such a long delay in ur post op appointment ???

9 months for a post op appointment is appalling, doesnt hold out much hope for the rest of srh patients does it............ what are their reasons for such a long delay in ur post op appointment ???

i will most likley get shot down in flames here yet again but there is lots of patients waiting, if Paul rang to queery this timescale im sure they would of explained why, 9 months is not a usual waiting time for post op patients, so its unfair of you to say Julie that the rest of the Srh have no hope of after care, the team work around the clock to keep there clinics running in order, a phone call to queery a problem and it can normally be sorted out. Im sure Pauls problem could be sorted out if he rang the appropriate department.

Last edited:
i will most likley get shot down in flames here yet again but there is lots of patients waiting, if Paul rang to queery this timescale im sure they would of explained why, 9 months is not a usual waiting time for post op patients, so its unfair of you to say Julie that the rest of the Srh have no hope of after care, the team work around the clock to keep there clinics running in order, a phone call to queery a problem and it can normally be sorted out. Im sure Pauls problem could be sorted out if he rang the appropriate depeartment.

If Paul has waited 9 months for an post op appointment I do think its appalling aftercare that he has received, and I dont doubt they are running around the clock too keep their clinics running.

Im sure Pauls problem could be sorted out if he rang the appropriate depeartment.

Maybe Pauls problem could be sorted out,but his post didnt come across this way , he made it sound like the hospital is providing bad aftercare.

If Paul has waited 9 months for an post op appointment I do think its appalling aftercare that he has received, and I dont doubt they are running around the clock too keep their clinics running.

Im sure Pauls problem could be sorted out if he rang the appropriate depeartment.

Maybe Pauls problem could be sorted out,but his post didnt come across this way , he made it sound like the hospital is providing bad aftercare.

you have your right to your opinion about something you know nothing about.

Sorry but I agree with liz - we are responsible for our own health or at least doing what we can to control as much as we can. I would have rang them as many times as needed.

Again on a positive note Paul does look like he is doing really well xx

Sorry but I agree with liz - we are responsible for our own health or at least doing what we can to control as much as we can. I would have rang them as many times as needed.

Again on a positive note Paul does look like he is doing really well xx

:) Thanks for your comments....It is extremley rare for a post op patient to wait 9 months for there follow up appointment after a GBP, im sure theres a reason for this especially with the volume of patients going through the system here, the north east is one of the highest demand areas for wls in the UK.

I think Sunderland are the leading providers also, other NE hospitals are trying to catch up which is why the waiting lists are so long. I'm just overmoon to be on list and hope I can do as well as others on here x

Now for my input, as a nurse in pre-assessment at SRH I have 1st hand experience at how busy all departments are at moment, the outpatients are running full whack!
There aren't just bariatric clinics but other surgical and medical clinics and limited space/facilities to hold them. Surprisingly as they are as talented as the surgeons cannot be in more than one place at a time so if we have more outpatient clinics there will be less surgery done and at the moment our bariatric surgeons are currently doing Saturday and Sunday theatre lists as well as those during week to cope with the number of patients coming through (so working 7 days a week to help patients), they also have on call duties and ward rounds to cope with so please give them a break!
Its easy for people to criticise the hospital over appointments etc but if you feel you have been 'forgotten' then either phone the appropriate secretary or write to surgeon instead of just complaining on here.
Routine appointments unfortunately do get cancelled when urgent appointments (such as patients cancer pts) need to be seen but the hospital does try to give another as soon as possible, however patients also need to take some responsibility and ring secretary if they wait more than a few weeks.
Maybe we would have more appointments available if already scarce slots were not wasted by the number of selfish people who fail to attend for appointments without giving adequate notice so we can offer slots to other patients (such as my 1st bypass patient this morning who failed to attend for pre assessment because he had "slept in" no apology offered either !).
I could say more but unfortunately have to rush out now due to family crisis!

well when i see mr Small in June i will be asking questions about what aftercare is provided and what professional advise and support is available. i agree 9 months is an aweful long time time but i cant help wondering if there is a piece of the jigsaw missing here?

Iv alway sympathised with the staff at SRH , I have had my post op appointment at four month but I have to say I wasn't impressed when I got there. It takes me an hour to drive there my appointment was an hour late which I don't have a problem with but they then stuck me in a room for twenty minutes waiting to be seen while I listened to my surgeon , dietician and a doctor in the next room laughing and joking and talking about everyday things .so one hour twenty minutes from my appointment time.they came and saw me for about three mins in total didn't take bloods had a quick check of wounds and that was it , I can't fault the care iv had with them before and during the time I was in hospital and I'm eternally grateful for what they have given me so hate to moan. But I havnt been impressed with the aftercare x

Thankyou Denise for your comments xxxx
Bobo sorry to hear your experience wasnt a good one x

I feel awful for moaning because I'm so gratefull but sometimes it's just the way it goes my local a+e can be the same and they are never run of their feet . Iv already got my next appointment for July so Paul I would ring them they maybe have just missed you somehow . Hope you get sorted xxx

Bobo everyone is entitled to their own opinion so don't feel bad x I guess it's just how you make your choices on whether or not you ring the hospital to chase things up or leave it to the professionals to ensure things get done, we both (patient & professional) have a responsibility I suppose to ensure things happen xx

Just to clear up any hidden adenda here - I was told before and at the time of my surgery that I would have a post-op appointment within 6 weeks of the operation.
Further, that it was extremely important that I attended as to ensure that I was progressing well and that there were no problems.
I received the first app for 14th Feb., this was then cancelled by the hospital and changed to 16th. May. This was also cancelled by the hospital and changed to 20th. June.
So Liz, Denise and any other doubters, make what you will of that. I have the cancellation letters.
Also, yes I do believe in contacting the hospital if there were any problems, fortunately there was not.
Remember, it was the hospital staff that emphasised the importance of this follow-up not me.
As for you Denise, words fail me with your comments. You will obviously go a long way in the NHS!!
Regards - Paul xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back