• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

9 days post op and feel so unwell.. help..

Sarahlou123

Hi all.
I had a gastric bypass on the 7th December. Today and yesterday in have felt so unwell. Sick dizzy lightheaded the kind of feeling I used to get when I didn't eat. I'm having around 1.5lts of fluid a day 1 pint milk, small sugar free jelly and strained soup. I have to do liquid for 4 weeks so kind of limited.
I did the milk diet pre op and never felt like this with just milk.
Could it be my blood sugar levels or am I not eating enough?
Tried to call dietician but not in today don't think I can go on till Monday
Weight is dropping off 2lb a day which is great but very fast. Am I not having enough?
Thanks in advance x

Sorry to hear your not feeling well :(
Are you allowed protein shakes ? I know nothing about your op I'm afraid , but I know protein drinks can give you the lift you need and stop you from feeling so weak ..
xxxx

Is there anyone else in your team you can speak too? If you've not been told you can have shakes them check it out because it could be you need a bit more sustenance. I'm sorry you feel so unwell and it definitely sounds like you needs some proper reassurance x

Is there anyone else in your team you can speak too? If you've not been told you can have shakes them check it out because it could be you need a bit more sustenance. I'm sorry you feel so unwell and it definitely sounds like you needs some proper reassurance x

Thanks for your reply. I have just brought some actimel as I've read good things. I have left a message for another nurse but not sure if she will help.
Thanks for your comment xx

Sorry to hear your not feeling well :(
Are you allowed protein shakes ? I know nothing about your op I'm afraid , but I know protein drinks can give you the lift you need and stop you from feeling so weak ..
xxxx

I was told to drink protein shakes but the block me up so i stopped. Perhaps I should try again x

Don't have any advice but hope you get help and feel better soon x

Sorry you are feeling so unwell, are you on painkillers? Codeine and soluble paracetamol made me feel really sick. Also, are you taking lansaprozole? When do you feel most sick? All the time or through the day? I had to double my lansaprozole and take one in the morning and one in the evening for the first few weeks - but check with your team first.

Hope they get back to you soon and you start to feel better.

How you feeling today?

I contacted the dietician and I'm not having enough liquids or protein. Started taking protein powder so hopefully things will start looking up. Just worried about how much is coming out the other end. Or not coming out as the problem may be :) thanks for asking x
Please consider asking for help with your bowels. I had lactulose for the first 2 months and now I am eating real food again I rarely need it. Its just a been short term problem for me really, although at the time it felt dreadful.

Please consider asking for help with your bowels. I had lactulose for the first 2 months and now I am eating real food again I rarely need it. Its just a been short term problem for me really, although at the time it felt dreadful.
I have read that lactulose causes dumoping? How did you find it. I took it pre op on the milk diet and it was great but I've been put off using it post op because of dumping. X

I have read that lactulose causes dumoping? How did you find it. I took it pre op on the milk diet and it was great but I've been put off using it post op because of dumping. X
First of all I dump something awful - on milk and if I drink too soon after a meal. Since lactulose is so sweet I asked the chemist and she checked and actually whatever makes it sweet it is not glucose. - it only has a very few calories per spoonful. I really don't like the sweetness of it, it makes me 'yuk' every time, but it has never made me dump. That is my experience and I have never come across any one who says it makes them dump so far. (P.s. I tried milk again last night, really miss a drink of milk!, - a tiny glass and was still getting the symptoms so my dumping has not gone away.!) I keep trying things that make me dump, but only when I am at home, alone and don't have to do anything and only try one thing at a time and a tiny bit.

First of all I dump something awful - on milk and if I drink too soon after a meal. Since lactulose is so sweet I asked the chemist and she checked and actually whatever makes it sweet it is not glucose. - it only has a very few calories per spoonful. I really don't like the sweetness of it, it makes me 'yuk' every time, but it has never made me dump. That is my experience and I have never come across any one who says it makes them dump so far. (P.s. I tried milk again last night, really miss a drink of milk!, - a tiny glass and was still getting the symptoms so my dumping has not gone away.!) I keep trying things that make me dump, but only when I am at home, alone and don't have to do anything and only try one thing at a time and a tiny bit.

Thanks for your reply.
I am 2 weeks post op and I drink a lot of milk poor you, I do love a glass of milk.
Thanks will try the lactulose.
I guess I'm not going to know what causes dumping until I try
Is dumping as bad as everyone says? X

The first time it was pretty horrible. Shivering, sweating, nauseous (I really thought I was going to be sick) I had to lie down and then had to run to the loo with diarrhoea. Since then I have learnt to be very careful when trying new foods, not to drink straight after a meal and only try little bits. After about 45 minutes to an hour I was back to normal. I wouldn't do it out of choice, but it's nowhere near as bad as the time I had chicken and sprouts a bit too soon and spent 4 hours vomiting it back up. Then I wished I had never had the op. But it taught me to recognise when I am full and when to stop eating and that is worth knowing. I hope you feel better soon.

I was told to drink protein shakes but the block me up so i stopped. Perhaps I should try again x
it sounds to me like a shortage of protein. Having been diabetic pre-op you may be right about blood sugars.
I never dumped with laculose. Asked my GP about the sugars in it and apparently they go in the other direction so you don't absorb it. It was the only thing that helped with the constipation caused by the amount of protein and no roughage.

Back