• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post Op - Liquid Only ideas..?

TMD68

Six Month Post Op
Back from my band done Friday (will come back on here in a few days and go through it all including the post it note and the knickers!)

Obviously on a fluid ONLY diet.

Strained the ox-tail from the oxtail soup yesterday and managed 1/4 of a tin!

Today managed 2 sips of fruit juice and 1/5th of a slimfast. Think to be far its cos the slimfast is uber sweet I couldnt stomach anymore (Choc flavour)

Been told to consume at least 1 pint of milk daily and to add (to 'certain' soups) a couple of spoons of powdered milk to help get some protein in.

Fruit juice is limited to a small glass a day...

So, apart from soup and slimfast... what did everyone else do for 4 weeks post op please?

I had Complan made with hot milk (it can be made with water, but used milk to get the calories needed) there are several flavours available and its good to get nutrients needed (nurse at my GP surgery recommended it)...chicken flavour cup a soup (has lots of taste)...milky coffee's...skinny cow triple choc ice lollies (only 87 cals/lolly) slide down nicely and are a treat whilst recovering :)

take care of yourself and get well soon xx

I had my band 2 1/2 months ago and this was my regime if it helps.....every surgeon is different on how long they expect you to do each stage but mine was with WLSG and was as follows

I was on liquids only the First 2-3 weeks this meant
  • Skimmed milk & Semi skimmed milk
  • Soya & goats milk
  • Oat and rice milk
  • Slimfast shakes
  • slimfast smoothies
  • Innocent smoothies
  • pure juice but NOT large quantities
  • V8 Veggie drink
  • Tea & Coffee
  • Bovril
  • Clear soups
  • soups that have been liquidised then strained through a fine sieve
I then moved on to Thick liquids and Purees for a week or 2 getting thicker as time progresses..I could of course still have the above.
  • Very runny baby rice
  • sloppy scrambled eggs
  • Yogurts
  • Custards
  • Apple Puree
  • Baby foods (some of them are lovely especially the purees)
  • mash with gravy (to make it runny)
  • thicker soups with smaller pieces of soft veg or pureed soups
Soft foods 5-8 weeks
  • Sheppard's pie
  • porridge
  • soggy wheatabix
  • any minced meat as long as it has plenty of sauce/gravy
  • mashed veggies
  • mushy peas
  • fish pie (potato)
  • soft rice pudding
  • milk puddings
  • S-F jelly
  • stewed fruit
  • mashed banana
in the last week or 2 of this stage I moved on to more normal foods but slowly till I was back to eating normally.

However some foods do cause some bander's problems these can include
  • Bread and bread products -some can when back to eating normally eat wholemeal toast
  • Rice
  • Pasta
  • red meat
  • pork and lamb unless minced
  • turkey and chicken unless cut up VERY small and /or chewed very well
  • Fizzy drinks
  • chewing gum
  • Booze - not recommended by my surgeon for at least 12 months

Just an idea..........how about jelly with milk and whisk it ............it goes like a milk shake the strawberry one is fab.....and raspberry too.................the more milk u put in the thinner the shake goes.......and u get source of goodness from milk also xx...............or a cup of bovril, oxo or marmite (if you like it )

all the best and speedy recovery - mejulie x x

Back