• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A Bit Disappointed

MazBot

After already being referred to the weight management clinic (albiet unsuccessful in the long term), some years ago, last year I asked my GP if he would refer me for surgery.
That was September, he said unfortunately he had to refer me back the the WLC as that was procedure.
Well, after he forgot and then eventually referred me, I finally had my appt today.
During that time though, I rather cheekily contacted Dr Tahera @ The Heartlands who said I shouldn't have to go through weight management again and he awaited my referral to him, I even took a copy of the email with me!
I also checked the NICE Guidelines and with a BMI of 49.5 I certainly meet them, only to be told today that East Birmingham Trust now have their "OWN" criteria, which I don't meet!! WHAT!!!! Their own criteria!!:mad:
So, now I HAVE to go on their programme again and lose and maintain 5% of my body weight.... which he said should be easy... Oh yeah, it's that easy, I could have done it before!!!
How can they have their own guidelines than those set out by NICE??? Anyone else heard this?:confused:

What's anyone elses thoughts?

So as you can imagine, Im a tad fed up this evening! :cry:

Im afraid lots of PCT's and hospitals now set their own criteria....In this age of cut backs etc they are changing the goal posts all the time.....Im really sorry for your disappointment XX

Thanks for replying Jacqui, but surely there's no point in NICE setting guidelines then?
:(

I know it does seem really stupid for them to set guidelines and then others to just change them! If you look at the list though loads of places dont follow the NICE guidelines....another example of the postcode lottery Im afraid! XX

Sorry to hear this...no consideration these days towards peoples feeling xxx

NICE guidelines are just that , guidelines... Why not ring your pct and ask what the criteria is for funding. I'm guessing they probably want a bmi of 50, in which case it may be you have to put a couple of lbs on which is not good but if it does the job xx

I'm really so sorry to hear of your disappointment... it's 'shifting sands' all of the time right now, not a good place when you are trying to move forwards... I wish you all the very best of luck and am sending you a huge hug.... xxx

The NICE guidelines are just that...guidelines. They can and often do have their own set of criteria, which unfortunately for many PCT's, are set ridiculously high. They don't seem to see the big picture, but in the current economic climate, the fatties get it first. The best bet is to ring your PCT directly to enquire exactly what their guidelines are. Don't give up though, it is becoming more difficult to get WLS but if you jump through the hoops & persevere, you will get there. It can be a typical 1 - 2 year wait for funding anyway for many PCTs, by the time you've done everything/seen everyone they ask you to.

Thanks for that Angie, I think Im just disappointed because Dr T had said I wouldn't have to go throw it all a second time!

I had my wls a year ago and at the time my BMI was 49. Glos criteria was then a BMI of 35 with a co-morbidity or a BMI of 40 +. Speaking to my practise nurse a few weeks ago the critertia has been changed to a BMI of 50+ for wls . If you have a comorbidity you would then be accepted. If no comorbidity you go on a waiting list!
This means that I would not of hit the criteria for wls. So by now I would probably be 26-27 stone, on insulin and becoming increasingly unable to do things. As it is I weigh 13 stone, no medications and have more energy than I have ever had! I am saving the NHS money every year. I am giving my kids a better chance of having a mum around for a long time - which again could save them money. WLS is not a right BUT in this age of obesity and cut backs, reducing the amount of wls patients is so shortsighted. Right I've said my piece so I'll get off my soapbox.
much love
xxxxxxxxxxx

Im with you Amrac. Im 42 and my sister died at 54 and dad at 61, so because my BMI was 0.5 below the criteria, does that mean now I have to carry on with the risk that I might only have 15 years left in me. I dont like being over weight. Im very disappointed by what happened today, especially as the Trust only made this decision recently so if my GP hadnt forgotten to refer me, the consultation may have gone very differently. However, I have very big feet to stomp, so I will stomp away for a while and see if that gets me anywhere! lol

You stomp! make a fuss! it might help! have you got any co-morbidities? That would help.
It is so unfair. I would be gutted in your shoes.
keep persevering pet.
Grace xxx

Just wanted to wish you luck Hun, write a letter tellingvthem how you feel
You never know their decision might change xxx

So sorry to hear this. Its a terrible situation for you if you're only 0.5 under their guidline.You are in a no win situation because surely it would be easier to gain and reach the guideline than lose 5% but then they'd say you were'nt committed. gutted for you sweetheart but give it a go and remember you can only do your best. Good luck xx

Back