• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A lung exercise machine .

I haven't heard of this although the two hospitals I have been with both actively encourage as much cardiovascular exercise as possible pre-op to improve lung function - obviously within the parameters of what one is able to do without causing other problems...

hi margeret
i had a held hand machine to open my lungs, they were very strict i had to use it every 10mins drove me nuts!!!! all helps though

Before the op I did have to have a lung function/capacity test, I don't know what they would have done had it been low tho.
I was also given nebulisers every 4 hours for 48 hours post op, they clearly worry about those lungs with a GA.

Didn't stop me getting post operative pnemonia tho!

My advice would be that if they tell you to do something, do it, they're only doing it for your safety/health.

Good luck

Rx

Oooh interesting thread. Ive not been offered anything like this but with a history of pneumonia and pleural effusion and clot on lung I am thinking maybe I should invest in one of these. I'm quite surprised they havent offered me one although Ive been told to expect op in October I havent been given a firm date.

How long do you have to use it for prior to op? Myabe they will mention it at my pre op app. Or maybe I shall mention it to them!

file://diving.co.uk/ekmps/shops/mikesdiving/images/ultrabreathe1.jpg

This is what surgeon recommends:

FOR GASTRIC SLEEVE AND RNY BYPASS PATIENTS EXCLUSIVELY:

Dr. Joya also wants you to do Balloon exercises :

Just blow up 30 balloons for nonsmokers and 40 balloons for smokers each day during the two week preop diet period. (the small party balloons that are hard to blow up). Discard each one after you inflate it.

The diet will reduce the risk of complications during your surgery and will reduce the size of your liver. The balloons will strengthen your lungs for surgery. Both are very important to do preop. Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding your preop diet or exercise.

NOTE: IF YOU ARE A SMOKER: YOU MUST ALSO DO THE FOLLOWING:

Quit Smoking Immediately and Do the above mentioned Balloon exercises.

Just blow up 30 balloons for nonsmokers and 40 balloons for smokers each day during the two week preop diet period. (the small party balloons that are hard to blow up). Discard each one after you inflate it.

The diet will reduce the risk of complications during your surgery and will reduce the size of your liver. The balloons will strengthen your lungs for surgery. Both are very important to do preop. Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding your preop diet or exercise.

Interesting. TBH if it helps, I will make them into balloon animals if they want :D:D:D

Thanks Snow Crystal. You are really brilliant at finding this stuff out!

love

TillyBob

Hi Margaret, I think you mean a spirometer. Charing Cross issue these I believe. Details can be found here: Spirometer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do you have yours yet? :D
Hi John
Yeah John I got mine last November when I meet the team the nurse give it to me . The one I have is made by Hudson you have to breath in hard to lift the little ball . The one I have looks like a cheaper one to the one you found but it does the trick .
Take care .
Margaret xx

Interesting. TBH if it helps, I will make them into balloon animals if they want :D:D:D

Thanks Snow Crystal. You are really brilliant at finding this stuff out!

love

TillyBob

Hahaha!...I know, I know I need to get out more.

But I too would do it it I thought it would get me in tip top condition for surgery.

(((hugs)))

Oooh interesting thread. Ive not been offered anything like this but with a history of pneumonia and pleural effusion and clot on lung I am thinking maybe I should invest in one of these. I'm quite surprised they havent offered me one although Ive been told to expect op in October I havent been given a firm date.

How long do you have to use it for prior to op? Myabe they will mention it at my pre op app. Or maybe I shall mention it to them!

file://diving.co.uk/ekmps/shops/mikesdiving/images/ultrabreathe1.jpg
Hi Swizzlestick
Maybe you could phone your hospital on Monday and ask have they got one you could have or as Snow says get the balloons because that sounds good to . Take care .
Margaret xx

Hi Snow
Yeah blowing up balloons would be good because it would make the lungs work . Take care .
Margaret xx

Thanks for the adivce, I shall defo use balloons. Ive just been given my op date and will be given my pre admission app imminently so I will ask about getting a bj machine then :eek:.;)

Xx

Thanks for the adivce, I shall defo use balloons. Ive just been given my op date and will be given my pre admission app imminently so I will ask about getting a bj machine then :eek:.;)

Xx

Swizzle, What is a BJ machine?...my husband and I are piddling ourselves as this could be very misconstrued when you ask for one.

(((hugs)))

Back