• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A mindset change?

ReadyToDoIt

I'm not sure how to phrase this without coming across as negative. I'm really not, I'm just worried.

I'm so encouraged by everyone's stories and have made the decision to get the VSG in a couple of months. In my mind, I keep thinking 'well, once I get the surgery I'll be inspired to eat healthier food, and exercise'. I see all your stories and that's exactly what seems to happen to you all. People who have never set foot in a gym are now as fit as a fiddle, grilled chicken replaces bars of chocolate. That's what I want too!

What I don't understand is how the surgery changes a mindset. If I don't/can't/won't chose healthy options and exercise daily now, how and why will that change? I get that it's a restrictive procedure so that helps with quantity, but what about the rest? Was it the fact that you felt that because you'd taken this drastic measure then it's an opportunity not worth wasting? Or does the tool of the WLS offer more than that?

Obviously if I don't change my eating and exercise habits after the surgery then it's not going to work. But, as several people around me are 'kindly' telling me "well why not just change your habits now and save yourself the surgery?" Deep down I know I need this surgery, but I can't actually come up with an answer to that question (for them or me!)

So, I suppose I'm looking for clarification that I'll be able to do this.., bit tbh I'm not exactly sure what I'm asking you all for...., but thank you in advance for responding.

Unfortunately the reality is that none of us really knows going into it whether we can make those changes. And those changes don't become permanent - it is a battle that I fight every day. The reason I do continue to lose weight is down to two things. Due to the initial rapid weightloss I was incredibly motivated. By the time it slowed down there was no way I was going to let it creep back on. So now its fear of going back the wrong way that keeps my head in the game. Its also support - everyone knows I've had the operation and people from all areas of my life support me and encourage me through compliments, asking about my weigh ins etc. I also go to slimming world now and the group really helps me to stay in the right frame of mind.

In short there is no magic. Its all about making the right choices much much more often than you make the wrong ones. I had an opportunity before and I wasn't ready then. By the time I did I had hit rock bottom. I felt like I was just waiting to die. I never ever want to get back to that.

Yve is right. You will not magically change overnight and the surgery is only ever a tool to help you get to where you want to be.

I was worrying about grieving for food and thought will I ever live without being able to eat a oozy cheesy pizza again or wolf down a plate of fish and chips but I rationalise by saying, when I could do that, I was not getting out of life what I wanted.

I didn't make the healthy changes then and to be honest, I probably would not have made them long term. I know what I needed to do, but I could not stick to it long term - ever which is what brought me to the surgery. I needed the help.

The fact is - you do not wake up from surgery transformed into a Tofu munching gym bunny. But you do have to be committed to making the surgery work and helping yourself and as Yve say's once the weight starts dropping off, the motivation to succeed kicks in and you are happy to make the changes.

I've sat and looked at ways I can make my favourite foods in a healthy way, I looked at all the new adventures I will be able to have in a fitter healthier body. Listed all the positive things I can do when I am skipping up stairs two at a time.

Surgery can seem a drastic measure. To me it was a life changing measure, because that was the whole point. I wasn't happy in my skin and I wanted to be. I couldn't do it on my own so now I have my tool to help me keep on the road I want to be on.
I know the road won't be easy and there will be ups and downs, but I am hoping that the ups will far outstrip the downs.

Great post hunni and i think something we all ask ourselves pre op and can't add much different to those above........... i only add that i think the mindset begins to change before hand.........why? because if we didn't want to change we certainly wouldn't be here searching advise nor even contemplating the op LOL so congrats on that hunni the rest seems to slot into place once your on the pre op diet....... then immediately post op your intake will be very limited..... these losses certainly spur you on to keep going and the further you go the further u want to go :)
Of course im not saying its easy either, its not like flicking a switch it all takes time and alot of hard work x x x

Back