• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Would a stomach ulcer affect surgery???

Heah

Hi, I'm wondering about the endoscopy part of the wls journey... If they found a peptic ulcer would that affect your chances of surgery. When they carry out the endoscopy, what are they looking for exactly???

If you have any idea please enlighten me!! xxxx

Don't know for sure, sweetie but guess they are looking for irregularities so there are no surprises on the day, but don't know if this would be enough to stop surgery. I would ring your team & ask rather than worry about it xxx :):)

Thanks Denise, I haven't got an ulcer, it was just one of those random things that came into my mind... xx

Would maybe depend on whether it was in the area the pouch was meant to be or in the rest of your stomach.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Yes it would, i think i may have an ulcer as had one about a year ago and has now decided to return less than 3 weeks before my op!

As i am having my surgery in czech been told i may have to postpone until i have it investigated by my gp as if an ulcer is found during the gastroscopy they cant perform the procedure.

I am soooooo gutted :-(

The endoscopy is to accertain if there are any irregularities inside your stomach such as an ulcer or a bacterial infection that some people have without knowing. If found the bacterial infection can be treated and the same goes for an ulcer. Once operated, especially Gastric Bypass, there is no way of treating the symptoms orally due to the stomach being detached from the main stomach, and would lead to more major surgery through the abdomen wall say if you suddenly got a perforated ulcer. Before bypass surgery, treatments for either of these conditions is relatively straight forward and accessable to treat orally.

If you are found to have these problems when you have your endoscopy, you would have treatment to clear you of the problems before your surgery was done. You would get surgery once you were clear of the problems again.

Thanks Jen

I am having a gastric wrap and the endoscopy is done on the same day as the surgery out there, suppose thats one of the downsides of going abroad.

I am hoping to get to my gp next week and see if they can test me

I had my endo last week and was told that they were looking for anything that could complicate surgery but if anything found it could prob be treated with medication in advance or repaired during wls but it shouldn't delay surgery. They didn't find anything so I'm now on the waitlist x

Back