• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A question i always get asked and never know how to answer!

HoPe*87*

Hi everyone,

I frequently get asked this question by people when they find out about my sleeve, when will your weight loss stop? Will it stop? Wot if it keeps going and you go to nothing? I know it will stop and I won't go to nothing, but always find it hard to explain to others that it will eventually stop hopefully when I reach my goal weight. Does anyone else get asked this? And how would u answer it?
Thanks in advance xx

im only 8 weeks post opp but ive been asked that loads of times already and like u i aint got a clue what to say coz i really dont know when it will stop im hoping it stops when im a size 12-14 but it could stop b4 that id be interested in what other people say to this one hun great post!

When you get to your goal weight or near... you wil have to maintain... some people will be able to maintain ie stay the same weight, some will start to put on and some will carry on losing weight... we wont know until we get there... but you may have to up yo calories at that point, have less protein etc... that is something we have to discuss with our dietitions when we get there... but it is when the hard work begins as we dont want to put the weight on xx

Hi

It's mainly because once you are at you bodies natural normal weight your weightloss will vertualy stop because in reality we can eat a very small diet and meet all our bodies nutrient requirements, eating under a 1000 calories a day when you are 20 stone is a strict diet, but eating under a 1000 calories a day when you are an 8 stone woman or 13 stone man is quite a healthy diet. If you do go a bit far on your weighloss you can always add an extra meal or two to bump up the daily intake, but on average you should level off on your own.

That's what I was told when I asked my dietitian.

Paul

Last edited:
If I reach a weight I am happy with, I'm told, just to eat a couple of hundred extra calories a day, like have butter instead of lo fat spread, and full fat cheese/milk/yogurt. I look forward to maintaining!

I frequently get asked this question by people when they find out about my sleeve, when will your weight loss stop? Will it stop? Wot if it keeps going and you go to nothing? I know it will stop and I won't go to nothing, but always find it hard to explain to others that it will eventually stop hopefully when I reach my goal weight. Does anyone else get asked this? And how would u answer it?

Hi Hope,

I saw your question a few weeks ago but I was still pre-op then and unsure of how to answer. Still too soon for me to answer personally yet, but I just looked up the "official" answer according to Dr Alvarez (the world leading gastric sleeve expert).

Dr Alvarez's answer is:

Q. How does my body know when to stop losing weight?
The gastric sleeve is very different regarding losing too much weight compared to the gastric bypass or the duodenal switch. These surgeries can cause you to lose too much weight or have a difficult time maintaining because they have the intestinal component, which prevents the patient from absorbing 100% of the nutrients eaten. The gastric sleeve procedure will only do so much for you. In other words, you also have to exert some effort to achieve your goal. The surgery may also leave you with a few extra pounds (statistically weight loss is on average 10 pounds less than with a bypass). Therefore the gastric sleeve will not cause you to lose too much weight.

Kirsten the bariatric nurse, says our bodies are constantly striving to reach our maximum weight again. That's scary! I am only about 10lbs from my (newish) goal of 10st, but as I'm not even 5 months out, I think I'll reassess when I get there and see if I'd like to lose a bit more. Definitely on scrawny watch though!!

Back