• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

i know i SHOULD know but...

Well, it is simple. If you reach your desired weight and the weight is still coming off, you can increase your calories a little until you stop losing weight. Additionally, you can increase your simple carbs a bit, that will usually stop weight loss. However, this is *rarely* a problem. You must consider that surgeons advise you can expect to lose 70% of your excess weight after bypass. Many (me included) have set our goals at our 'ideal' weight according to BMI which would be 100% of excess weight lost. Your weight loss will eventually slow down and stop (somewhere between 1-2 years post-op) all by itself. People who have reached their goal weight and wish to stay at that weight after their body adapts may find that they have to work a bit to maintain the loss. I wouldn't worry about trying to stop your losses until after 1-2 years. At that point your pouch will have stretched some and you will have grown more intestinal villi to compensate for your shorter intestines so you absorb more of what you eat. That is why you will sometimes hear doctors and long term bypassers say that year 3 & 4 are the tough ones and the time when weight can fly back on.

Hope that helps,
Nic;)

Great question Mermaid, and fantastic response as always Nic. Cant rep ya... sorry.

For me its meant eating more, and eating more carbs. Breaking some of the post op rules like drinking with meals etc. It's quite tricky finding the balance and takes a bit of practice. It's a good idea to allow a few pounds that you would be ok losing after your goal.

Well, it is simple. If you reach your desired weight and the weight is still coming off, you can increase your calories a little until you stop losing weight. Additionally, you can increase your simple carbs a bit, that will usually stop weight loss. However, this is *rarely* a problem. You must consider that surgeons advise you can expect to lose 70% of your excess weight after bypass. Many (me included) have set our goals at our 'ideal' weight according to BMI which would be 100% of excess weight lost. Your weight loss will eventually slow down and stop (somewhere between 1-2 years post-op) all by itself. People who have reached their goal weight and wish to stay at that weight after their body adapts may find that they have to work a bit to maintain the loss. I wouldn't worry about trying to stop your losses until after 1-2 years. At that point your pouch will have stretched some and you will have grown more intestinal villi to compensate for your shorter intestines so you absorb more of what you eat. That is why you will sometimes hear doctors and long term bypassers say that year 3 & 4 are the tough ones and the time when weight can fly back on.

Hope that helps,
Nic;)

wow...what a great, easy to understand reply...thanks hun x

Back