• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

ABSOLUTELYU GUTTED

Omg Hun I'm gutted for u :( that's so unfair they shud have told u sooner I really hope u get the op soon chin up n big hugs xx

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

aww my god hun am gutted for you xx but chin up as your still gonna get your op xx not a lot of consellation at this minute in time but bare with it xxx

genevive57 said:
please forgive any typos but i am typing this through streams of tears.
i have just had a telephone call saying my sleeve op planned to take place in 3 days time has been cancelled!!
i had a sleep apnoea test a fortnight ago and my surgeons bariatric nurse phoned me to say that my results were finr.
b ut, this morning she has received an email from the respiratory team saying i have sleep apneoa and have to have cpap and cant have my op for at least six weeks.
those of you who have read any of my threads will know that i have been quite worked up n anxious about op this weekend but, i woke in a positive mood today and packed my bag for hospital before getting this call about 20 minutes ago.
i have seen cpap mentioned on here before but i dont reallyu know much about it. what happens, what do you do?
also i have to stop my liver reducgin diet and go back onto my usual weight loss/healthy earting diet [which means i will have the rotten liver diet to do again now].
am totally paranoid as i am havin a run of things going wrong in my life at the moment and feel like forgetin about the surgery and continue being a hermit

Awwh this is so sad! I'm sorry to hear this it terrible when things like this happen!! They shouldn't have told u the results were fine if they clearly aren't!! I can't help you on cpap sorry but just wanted to let u know I'm thinking of u. Please don't give in! Just think of it as another hurdle u have to jump and just think it's better they do the cpap test so there's less risks during the op xxx

oh god what a load of w*****s telling you at this time, there are a few people on here who have the cpap machine snagglepuss and caron, being two of them, please dont give up as your time will come and bad luck does go away eventualy i promise you that. just think if you give up and continue to just stay in you will never forgive yourself, keep posting on her gen there are people who do care be them vertual friends dont go it alone. xxxx

oh big hugs hun.... 6 week will come and go before you know it.. please dont get upset about it. f hey sayou have sleep apnea it means your breathing can change while you are asleep... so they need to be careful as they are putting you to sleep for your op... im a bit pants at explaining things... but i guess they will give you a cpap machine to use for 6 weeks til your op just to monitor yor sleep pattern... its a mask you wear at night time which bows air into your lungs to help you breath and sleep. You have nothing to worry about.
I so understand your frustration and dissappointment. but i guess they have to be safe xx

so sorry hun totally gutted for you xxxx

Genevive,

I realise this must be a disappointment, but they have to make the operation safe. Once diagnosed with sleep apnoea, all patients have to wear the CPAP mask at night for at least 6 weeks -- it improves your breathing and will improve your breathing under anaesthesia.

It is very unfortunate that they left it to such short notice to let you know, but if they had gone ahead with the operation with your sleep apnoea untreated (the CPAP machine is the treatment) you would have been a much higher risk under anaesthetic.

Last month I turned up for an appointment on 14 February at the Whittington which I had been informed (by letter) was my 'pre-op assessment' but when I turned up found that the hospital had made an admin error .... I took it on the chin and did not (until now) even mention it on here.

I find even when things go wrong, and the hospital has made an error, it is easier to just take it on the chin, relax and wait for the next appointment.

As my GP said to me over a year ago at the start of my journey, "Just go through all the motions, no matter how long it takes and you will get your operation."

You WILL have yours as well, Genvive, it is just going to be a month or two later.

Oh honey I'm so sorry :( you poor thing :( xxx

from me phone :D

How disappointing hun x

OH Jan, i knowhow you feel, mine was cancelled with 20 hrs to go, and that was 7 weeks ago, but consider THEY HAVE cancelled for a good reason, good respiratory functions for an op. they are safeguarding your health, be strong and positive. and goodluck x

So sorry hun !!!!! Better to be safe during your op hun, six weeks will fly by and you can look forward to a good summer xxxx

So sorry for you hun

Big hugs XX

Hi Genevieve,

I am a sleep apnoea sufferer and a hosehead (I use cpap at night). As you have just been diagnosed, the oxygen saturation of your blood, even during the day time is currently lower than it should be. Your heart has been under extra pressure as well. The six weeks they are asking you to try the cpap should bring your saturation levels back to normal making the surgery safer for you.

As for sleep apnoea post surgery, I have read that the stats are 50-50. The odds are in your favour if the apnoea is a result of the obesity, however, its a bit chicken and egg; for some the apnoea comes first.

Feel free to pm me if you need more info.

HTH

Really sorry to hear that, the bariatric nurse should have double checked b4 tellin you. The cpap machine will help with the sleep apnea, which will make the surgery safer. When they give you pain relief after surgery (usually narcotics) these drugs depress the drive to breathe so its a concern if you have sleep apnea. I remember laying in my bed after my second dose of morphine and stopping breathing for a few seconds, it would wake me up every time. It was a very strange feeling. Your op is going to happen and you will be fine once its sunk in. :)

Poor you, but I'm glad the first wave of despair has passed and you're seeing things more rationally now. It IS to save your life...the last thing they and you would want, would be an emergency mid op as you stopped breathing. So take a deep breath, with or without the cpap! LOL and just say it's all for the best, it's for MY safety..and I'm sure your husband will be happy that his wife is safe and not at risk. I'd be gutted too, anyone would, but it's only six weeks.

Back