• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Acid and gerd! Post op!

lynnepoth

Have hiatus hernia but surgeon said because he would pull stomach down and part of stomach that holds acid will be removed I would no longer suffer! Now 3 weeks out and last week and half its back! Always feeling as if something stuck! Wheezy from acid and can here it gurgling up! Where not eating like before it's just in a spasm all the time! Still on lanzaprasole as before! Before op I had just received appointment for ph level testing but surgeon said would not be necessary as the rny would sort it!

?fed up with it! Anyone else suffer?

Oh I am so sorry to hear you are not well. I wish you all the best Lynne, and a very speedy recovery.

Hi sorry your surgery didn't fix your reflux and acid! You prob don't want to hear this but I had a h hernia and a gastric band that caused severe acid reflux throwing up at night waking with mouthfuls of acid heartburn lots of times in the day drank gaverscon by the gallon got quite immune to it really I had double strength ranitidine all that did was made the acid I brought up a bearable taste!! I managed to get my band removed and hernia repaired and a bypass done all at the same time just before Christmas and now I have zero medication for acid related illnesses to which I am so happy with to be honest if it was amazing the difference it has made in my life ! I am so sad to hear you are still suffering its horrible and wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy please all I can say is keep persevering with the hospital fingers crossed it will get sorted ! It took me a year and a half to sort my acid out worse time of my life!! Good luck with the fight to remove your acid!! Xx

Have hiatus hernia but surgeon said because he would pull stomach down and part of stomach that holds acid will be removed I would no longer suffer! Now 3 weeks out and last week and half its back! Always feeling as if something stuck! Wheezy from acid and can here it gurgling up! Where not eating like before it's just in a spasm all the time! Still on lanzaprasole as before! Before op I had just received appointment for ph level testing but surgeon said would not be necessary as the rny would sort it!

?fed up with it! Anyone else suffer?

I was a 24/7 reflux sufferer before my RNY & just as my surgeon said it would I have not had any attacks since.
Personally I would phone your team. You should be on a protein pump inhibitor ie lamprozole to protect the pouch and therefore shouldn't be getting acid attacks at all. Are you sticking to your measured meals? Don't try and eat /drink any more as you won't feel any restriction yet so it's easy to over fill the still healing pouch.

Did you get this sorted out Lynne?

Suffering badly with acid reflux and I am pre-op. Only thing keeping me going atm is that it will disappear after the op. As buglady says, I would not wish this on my worst enemy.

Did you have the full bypass or the mini? I had gastric band induced acid reflux before my revision. I revised to the mini but I still have reflux despite being on 40mg of acid medication. I am hoping it settles down over the next few months and it is just because my stomach is still producing the same amount of acid as a normal size one at the moment.

Did you have the full bypass or the mini? I had gastric band induced acid reflux before my revision. I revised to the mini but I still have reflux despite being on 40mg of acid medication. I am hoping it settles down over the next few months and it is just because my stomach is still producing the same amount of acid as a normal size one at the moment.
Not had my revision yet but it is supposed to be the mini GB. I think Lynne had the full RNY but not 100% sure.

:( sorry to hear you still get it, what a nightmare.

I have a Bravo PH gastroscopy on Friday, for which I have had to come off Omeprazole and it is horrendous. My husband is really worried as I am struggling to breathe. 1 week before we go away on holiday and I am unable to do anything as out of breath even going to the loo.

Think I will nave to phone the consultant here tomorrow cos I cannot live like this till Friday.

Last edited:
Hi

I had full rny I still get acid if I pick spicy foods tomatoes etc just like before! It is settling a bit but can wake up like it! I am still on lansaprasol my team said take one morning and night if a bad day!

Sorry to hear that Lynne. From what I have read so far it seems that for some people it goes away and for others, like yourself, it doesn't. A vicious circle all round. Being overweight makes it worse. :(

Back