• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Acid erosion? Hmmmmmm

emmahc1975

I've been to the dentist today. My last visit was 3 weeks prior to surgery. He said he'd noticed significant acid erosion & i should cut back on the fizzy drinks, fruit juices & fruit. Just slightly confused because i have had no fizzy sugary drinks since the pre op on 2nd jan (rarely had them anyway) maybe fruit juice twice (i did drink juice 3 or 4 times a week pre-op) & i was never a big fruit eater & remain so!!!
I told him this & he suggested acid reflux (surgeon fixed a hernia at surgery & had no acid since) or vomiting (not been sick for years)
I'm struggling to think what else it may be or indeed if its related to my lap band in any way.
Just wondered what you guys thought or if any one had a similar experience?

YES! My dentist said exactly the same to me. I don't have fizzy, but I do drink sugar free squash. She said it was probably that although I drank it pre op too and diet coke! I wonder if perhaps our bodies don't make it as well? I am using sensodyne pro namel toothpaste now x

It is odd! I dont drink sugar free either (i wont have aspartame) i do have diet coke though (sainsburys brand cuz no aspartame) and i probably have more than pre op although not a lot more. I wonder if its that then?

I take a calcium supplement too btw & vit d so i dont think its a deficiency
Diet coke is the suspect maybe?

Im a dental hygienist from leeds. Diet coke is more acidic than normal coke so is actually worse for your teeth! Acid erosion can develop over a long period of time. The dentist who spotted the erosion may of done so now as the erosion has become more noticable. Just reduce frequency of acidic foods/drinks as every time it enters your mouth your teeth will loose minerals for half an hour. Also do not brush within 30 minutes after food/juice(also sugar free). Do not rinse away toothpaste with water just spit out. The sensodyne proenamel is the toothpaste I recommend to my patients who have erosion. Hth.

Just to add try to stop diet coke...it is the devil to teeth hehe!! If u love it too much drink it through a straw:)

Ahhh thank you.
As i suspected the diet coke i googled it & it said diet coke was as bad as meth anfetamine (sorry dunno how to spell that) for your teeth. Shocking!! You'd think 'diet' coke would be better but I'd guess its just another example of the food industry 'having one over us' but that's a whole other thread!
What would you suggest i drink as a more suitable mixer? I can easily swop it on its own but what would you suggest for a low cal / band friendly / tooth friendly alcoholic drink?
I dont want to damage my teeth. I'm very proud that I have only 1 filling at 38 & a full set of nashers!

Back