• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice and motivation please!!!

jessmac

Hi All!! I went to see my GP today to discuss being referred for gastric banding and she basically said I wouldn't get any funding because I'm only 24!! It really disheartened me and I started looking at this forum and thought some of you may be able to give me some advice/motivation!!!
I've got a BMI of 49(!) and like everyone else I've tried everything!!! My GP said all she could offer is slimming tablets or a 12month support plan with weekly meetings!!
I feel like I've already done the weekly meeting stuff with slimming clubs and stuff and don't want to do that again!!!
Any inspiration/advice desperately needed!!
Thanks!!!
xx

hi jess welcome to minis x im sure someone on here younger than you has recently been accepted for wls , i dont know if different areas have different age brackets , maybe someone will be here soon to give you some better advice x good luck

Thanks for the reply! Not sure how to approach things now, whether I should go back with the guidelines of my PCT or just try to raise the money myself and go private! I'm really disappointed with my GP. I've read a lot of people's stories who had a much lower BMI than mine and they've had the op!! I don't see why I shouldn't just because I'm 24!!! Ooooo rant over!!! lol! x

Hiya babe - this is rubbish! I was 23 when I had my surgery, im 24 now - tell your GP to refer you or to give you the criteria list! Ive never heard nowt so daft?!

This doesnt sound correct to me, I'm only 21 and I've been referred. Go back to your GP with the guidlines, and if they dont reffer you then ask to be seen by another doctor.

Dont give up, if its what you really what keep pushing the issue.

:) xxxxxx

Hi JESS
sorry i can't help as i went privately but just wanted to say welcome to minis it's a great place for support but i do know that your gp is def wrong with saying your age is against you.As others have said try another gp in the pratice if you get no joy with your own x

Hey everyone. Thanks so much for your replies!!! I think I'm going to do some research and arrange to go back and try again!! I just hope that because I haven't tried slimming pills it won't stand against me!! I'm just fed up now so something has to change!!! xx

Hi Jess, definitely do your research and return to your GP armed with all relevant info. Maybe you will have to go to Weight Man for a while and try xenical, if you are lucky, these could work and you will be spared the difficulties and despair that lead us to WLS. If they do not work, then you have a stronger case for WLS referral. If they offer appetite suppressants, if you feel uncomfortable taking a tablet that can have an effect on your moods - then tell them this straight. Very best of luck to yoy x

I can only ecco what has been said already.

I am 22 now, however, I was 21 when I was first refered by my GP for my Gastric Bypass last January!

I should be getting my date soon, and throughout the entire process my age was never really mentioned.

If your trying to get to gather some research to take back to your GP then I suggest you start with the NICE guidelines. These say that anyone over the age of 18 should be eligable for bariatric surgery (alongside other criteria of course!).

Good luck!

x

Hi Jess and :welcome2:to minis. Get all the info you need and go back to your gp. Don't let her fob you off. If you go in expecting to be turned down again then this is what will happen. Go in full of confidence and with the fact you know what you're on about, then her attitude towards it may be different. If you still feel like you're getting no where, then go and see a different gp in the pratice. Fight for what you want sweetheart and don't let them use your age as a excuse.Why should you have to suffer till your 30/40 years old before you're ellegible for surgery??? It just does'nt make sense does itxx

Thank you everyone!!! I was so upset and down today and now I feel really upbeat and ready to push for this!!! I'm very glad I joined now!!! I'm determined I won't be miserable because of my weight any longer!!!! xx

Jess you should'nt have to be miserable and suffer through your weight. If you can honestly say that you've tried everything then I see no reason to be turned down. Have you had the xenical/orlistat from your gp?? Sometimes they will not refer you untill you have tried them.Good luck on your journey and hope you find the help and support you need here on minisx

Hi Jess,

I posted about your GP on another thread, but in case you don't see it...

JessMac that's disgusting! I would go straight back and ask if your GP is familiar with age discrimination. There is nothing in NICE guidelines or any PCT criteria to say that age is a factor at all. So long as you are over 18 you are eligible. Oohhh some GPs make my blood boil! E.P. is a different PCT than mine or I could have helped with the local criteria ;)

Shel (just down the road :p)

Hi Jessmac

Every one has already given you some great advice...arm yourself with the criteria for WLS under your PCT...

Your GP has no right to shoot you down and dismiss your needs this way...My GP had never referred anyone before for WLS, but he got his colleague to help him and they did it together for me...However, my GP was concerned that I wanted it and made me realise how serious WLS was...he also made sure that there was no underlying psychological reason for my request...but this was just the act of a concerned GP...he never refused me.

I have learnt a lot by joining Mini's...and received loads of support...as you will too.

Good luck
and don't take no for an answer....you have the right to a referral.

(((Hugs)))

Hi and welcome to minimins. I just want to echo what everyone else has already said, keep pushing you will get there!!! lot's of love and loads of luck!!!! x x x

Back