• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice please.

lollycakes

Hi, I have a few questions and this seems to be the place to ask them.

Just a little back story: Almost 2 weeks ago I finally plucked up the courage to talk to my GP about getting a gastric band. She agreed to refer me for one, as well as booking me in for blood tests (which, thankfully, all came back as normal). When I asked her about what hospital she was refering me to and how long it would take, she really didn't know anything.

So, now for my questions.

1. How will I find out about my hospital/referral appointment? Will I receive a letter with an appointment date?

2. If I will receive a letter, roughly how long will it take before I get it?

3. If there's no letter, how do I find out?

4. Is there any point contacting my GP again, given that she didn't know much herself at my first appointment?

5. After the hospital appointment, what comes next?

If anyone has any general info on the run up to getting a gastric band, I would really appreciate it. I am just completely lost and confused on how I am supposed to go about getting one via the NHS. I don't want to go about it the wrong way and mess the whole thing up, as this is something I desperately need. :cry:

Thanks,

Laura

Hi there Laura, I started a thread called NHS ins and out, some of the answers are there...;):)

Laura, I am in the same position as you right now. I am so impatient and want to know everything now. I am hoping I find out something soon.

Hi Laura, i'm a Laura too! I got referred on July 29th 2008 for a band and I got an appointment with the consultant on April 17th 2009. The NHS guidelines aim to get an appointment for you within 9 months so you should hear. I asked the receptionist at my GP to find out when the referral went out and she emailed me a copy of the fax and the chase up fax where the hospital confirmed I was on the wiating list but it was quite a wait. It then took 2 months before I saw the psychotherapist. From speaking to various people on here their experiences and waiting times are really different and also dependant upon where you are from but once you are seen the ball does get rolling. Hope this helps you for the moment! :eek:) Laura x I had a million questions when I found this site a few months ago and just by searching on this forum I got all my answers. Good Luck in your journey xx

Hi Laura, I have just been referred around 12th of this month and got the appointment on the 21st of July. I got it through the choose and book system where the GP gave me a referral letter and a password and i had to take the appointment with the surgeon myself. My GP told me to call in for the appontment the same week but i was so impatient that i booked it just after returnng from the GP. In the letter the waiting time said 49 days for Royal London Hospital. Which area r u from?

Hi and welcome to minis. Here is my story so far. I have tried various different diets for years. Last year I was refered to the obeisity clinic at our local hospital, I followed the milk diet for 3 months and lost 3 stone. As soon as I started to introduce food again it all went back on and more. The dr at the obeisity clinic applied for funding to the pct in December. After I joined minis a few weeks ago following the advice of everyone on here I emailed the pct and was told to ring back about 10 days ago and a decision would be made. When I rang I was told a decision hadn't been made and they needed more info from the clinician. To ring back in 3 weeks. Hopefully they might have an answer when I ring. Good luck with your journey hope yours is quicker than mine has been.

Back