• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice re appointment

LoLa1980

First appointment. Advice needed.
Hi, I went to my doctors 'begging' for a gastric band. She referred me to Salford Hospital. I have an appointment at the weight management department with Dr Syed's team on friday. Does anyone know what will happen on this appointment? Will they look into me having the gastric band, or will they want to try other methods first?

My history- I am 32, 5"4' 19 stone, BMI 45+, with impaired glucose tolerance, therefore high risk of developing diabetes.
I have joined all the slimming clubs, used reductil, orlistat, and phentermine, seen a dietitian, etc. I used Lipotrim 3 years ago and got down to 8 stone!! I split up with my hubby, and piled all my weight back on I have tried LT since but just cannot get my head in gear. I feel I have tried everything else and think the gastric band is all that's left. Being so much overweight has dramatically changed my life, I am a huge comfort/ binge eater, I never go out as I'm too ashamed and I feel I'm a let down to my boys

Any advice on what will happen Friday and how to proceed with the gastric band would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

I can't help with the appointment information but I will say that you need to also take this time to get your head into gear for the band . . .it won't stop you comfort eating or binge eating, its a great tool to aid weight loss, but its all down to you to make the choices etc with what you eat.

I've had mine for just over 5 months and strictly control what I eat in terms of cals, protein, carbs etc and do regular daily exercise with 3-4 gym visits a week. I love my band, but what I've lost has been achieved through really careful control, strict choices and being in the right mindset for this. If you find that you're heads not in the right place or into gear for other things, then it may not be for the band - it's a tool to help in weight loss, but far from it being the answer to sorting out eating issues.

I understand the feelings of being ashamed and a let down - I felt that towards my son. He is one of the reasons and my main motivation behind finally getting my surgery which took me 7 years of considering and my head being in gear to take the step.

Always worth at this time approaching your GP for help in terms of perhaps counselling or CBT to work through the food and eating issues - it may help you to get the head in gear if you do proceed with the band :)

Welcome to the boards too :)

Hello and welcome to the site :) I was going to ask if you matched all of your PCT's criteria? I just looked it up for you and this is what it says:

"All patients must attend in-house Weight Management programme for minimum of 6 months prior to surgery consideration"

So if you have already been through this weight management programme then you can be considered for and referred for surgery. If not, then you may be asked to attend this weight management programme first.

Hope that helps and good luck with your appointment x

I can't help with the appointment information but I will say that you need to also take this time to get your head into gear for the band . . .it won't stop you comfort eating or binge eating, its a great tool to aid weight loss, but its all down to you to make the choices etc with what you eat.

I've had mine for just over 5 months and strictly control what I eat in terms of cals, protein, carbs etc and do regular daily exercise with 3-4 gym visits a week. I love my band, but what I've lost has been achieved through really careful control, strict choices and being in the right mindset for this. If you find that you're heads not in the right place or into gear for other things, then it may not be for the band - it's a tool to help in weight loss, but far from it being the answer to sorting out eating issues.

I understand the feelings of being ashamed and a let down - I felt that towards my son. He is one of the reasons and my main motivation behind finally getting my surgery which took me 7 years of considering and my head being in gear to take the step.

Always worth at this time approaching your GP for help in terms of perhaps counselling or CBT to work through the food and eating issues - it may help you to get the head in gear if you do proceed with the band :)

Welcome to the boards too :)

Hi many thanks for taking the time to reply. I just feel that life is passing me by. I've practically been a recluse for the past 3 years, to embarrassed to go out. I've seen lots of counsellors over the years, re my marriage ending, and other issues, all of which I can readily confront with the counsellor. Mention eating habits, and I feel really uncomfortable and drift away from the topic. Hopefully tomorrow they will be able to advise further on this.

Thank you again, and well done with your journey, you have done amazing.

Thank you samsara for researching for me, much appreciated. No I haven't done the 6 months weight management programme :-(. I'll let you know what they say.

Hi Lola,

From the facts above you have been referred for weight management. This isnt to do necessarily with Bariatric surgery . You will need to obtain funding from your PCT ( CCG) . Salford will most likely accept your referral for weight management but will discharge you when you are finished.

I suggest you contact your PCT to apply for funding. Seeing as you are in Manchester I am assuming you are under Manchester CCG they will require you to undertake a weight management programme before hand (It has to be the PCT own programme not Salford's). Manchesters criteria is BMI 50+

Hi lola
im also @ salford royal & have done the routine 6 months weight management course,
when you meet the surgeon they will discuss your options for surgery & will ask you what you think is best for you !
from start to now ( waiting for a date for op its only took 8months or so
hope this helps you & please ask any questions & if i can i will help

Back