• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice needed from diabetics please

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hi there
I need some advice.
I am type II diabetic and am also on the pre-op diet before my operation this Thursday coming (29th).
I am struggling to keep my blood glucose level above 4 and it is often dropping below that, the lowest has been around 2.3 and it is making me feel simply awful.
The only thing helping it to not bottom out completely is the soups because there is a bit of natural sugar and carbs in it but I am really struggling today.
Can anyone advise me on how to keep these stupids glucose levels up please? My last pre-op is on Monday and Ill be asking them then and also about how to keep my levels up when I have nothing from midnight the night before but until then, has anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks in advance xx
Steph xx

hi
I WAS type 2 diabetic befor my op.
Are you still on medication?
The trouble is everybodies pre op is different. the best thing is speak to your dietitian urgently.
Sorry not been much help.

Hi Stephie,

Are you on any meds for your diabetes?

I'm also type 2 diabetic on Metformin. I was on Victoza (injections) but they were stopped when I started the pre -op diet. My levels are pretty steady at the moment between 4.6 - 7.8.

My Gp said if they had gone lower they would reduce or stop the metfromin.

Pinky x

I stopped my meds on day one so I am incredibly suprised that they havent shot up rather than lowering so much.
The thing is it is Saturday and I doubt she'll be there. Ill just have to keep plodding on until Monday and then talk to them.
Steph xx

Hi Steph

I saw my diabetes nurse on Friday and she advised me to ensure that BS levels must not fall too low. I am still on the same Metformin dose and some insulin, but this has been reduced to about 20% of what I was taking before my pre pre-op diet. I too have had instances of dropping to 2.3 which is not nice. Despite being on the vlcd I ate some carbs to get it back up again. It is a very fine balance, a bit like keeping 6 plates spinning.

You must get some advice asap. I was given Dr Le Roux's mobile number - he is the Endocrinologist at CX for just this reason. I am surprised you have not been given an emergency number.

Until you get professional advice I would suggest you keep your BS levels at a safe reading even if it means breaking the diet. But I am not a doctor.

Hi there, if your blood sugar drops below 2.5 you should take yourself up to the hospital or shove the diet and get them back to a healthy reading with some food.

I really would not worry about the diet, your health right now till you can speak to your team is at risk.

Try one of these quick fixes and take another reading...

Prompt Treatment for Hypoglycemia

When people think their blood glucose is too low, they should check the blood glucose level of a blood sample using a meter. If the level is below 70 mg/dL, one of these quick-fix foods should be consumed right away to raise blood glucose:

• 3 or 4 glucose tablets
  • 1 serving of glucose gel—the amount equal to 15 grams of carbohydrate
  • 1/2 cup, or 4 ounces, of any fruit juice
  • 1/2 cup, or 4 ounces, of a regular—not diet—soft drink
  • 1 cup, or 8 ounces, of milk
  • 5 or 6 pieces of hard candy
  • 1 tablespoon of sugar or honey

Hi there, if your blood sugar drops below 2.5 you should take yourself up to the hospital or shove the diet and get them back to a healthy reading with some food.

I really would not worry about the diet, your health right now till you can speak to your team is at risk.

Try one of these quick fixes and take another reading...

Prompt Treatment for Hypoglycemia

When people think their blood glucose is too low, they should check the blood glucose level of a blood sample using a meter. If the level is below 70 mg/dL, one of these quick-fix foods should be consumed right away to raise blood glucose:

• 3 or 4 glucose tablets
  • 1 serving of glucose gel—the amount equal to 15 grams of carbohydrate
  • 1/2 cup, or 4 ounces, of any fruit juice
  • 1/2 cup, or 4 ounces, of a regular—not diet—soft drink
  • 1 cup, or 8 ounces, of milk
  • 5 or 6 pieces of hard candy
  • 1 tablespoon of sugar or honey

Great advice Caz. Remember the pre op diet is to shrink the liver not for weight loss although it does help. If you need to raise the bs levels then so be it and I think this is what your team will advice too. Give them a ring 1st thing monday morning and see what they suggest. Good luck and please be very careful and keep monitoring those levelsxxx

Thanks for the replies guys.
Nope they never gave me an emergency number but I have the number in case I need help but I see them at 10.45am tomorrow morning so thats ok.
I looked on my sheet and it says three small glasses of clear apple juice per day and hadnt been having that, so I got some last night and that bit of sugar perked me right up and the carb from the soup has kept the levels up at a decent level, so that sorts it out for now but it is operation day I am worried about so I will have to discuss that with them tomorrow.
Thanks for caring so much guys, youre all awesome xx
Steph xx

Hi Steph
You could try ringing the Spire in Macc, there maybe a nurse who can advise you on the ward there.
What time is your appointment tomorrow? Candie (Sally) and I are there for a post op check at about 4.
Lx

Aww damnit, couldve said hello but Im there at 10.45am so Ill be well gone by the time you guys get there.
Steph xx

Awww shame! Would have been good to have a gas! Whereabouts are you? We are having a little gathering, probably late November, in Preston. You may feel up to that if you're not too far away.
Lx

Im in Widnes, about a 40-50 minute drive from Macclesfield.
Yeah I could maybe come to that if all is going well.
:):):):):):):)
Steph xx

Steph,

Stick with it and watch those levels. I am four weeks post-op and off all diabetic medicines and the blood pressure tablets too! The by-pass is a great way to go. My BS levels are below 6 in the morning and below 7 thereafter. My GP is amazed and whilst still monotoring me weekly, is convinced that I have got the type 2 diabetes under control in such a short period of time.

This procedure really is amazing. I am just over a week away from my first weigh-in on 1 November (I promised myself I would only way on the first day of each month) and am looking forward to the figures. I feel it already in my clothes which are hanging on me.

U

Glad you sort of sorted yourself Steph, don't forget to ask them at the hospital tho hun. Good luck xxx

Back