• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Diabetics and bypass surgery...please advice.

Farzu,

If you are under the hospital consultant for someting else you can ask them to refere you for WLS.
My Rhumatologist has referred me for other things. Fotunatley my GP was great and referred for Bypass. My GP and other Dr's have said what a difference it will make to my diabetes and high blood pressure.

Hi Pinky, Thanks for your advice. I am under St barts hospital for fertility issues. I was trying for a baby for last 3 years but couldn't conceive. My hubby and I have done all the tests and the results came back normal. Fertility Doc also told me to loose weight otherwise he won't start treatment. Do you think i can go to him and tell about WLS? I see him every 3/4 months and my next appointment is on 11th june.

Farzu, I agree completely with what Shelbell and the others have said here. My story is complicated but long story short, I had one wls surgery abandoned while I was in theatre becuase my liver looked worse than was showed up on ultrasound ( I have nonalchoholic liver disease and cirrhosis). The risk was felt too great with the liver disease, surgery was stopped and I was very depressed for months. Last summer we went on vacation, and still very upset about losing my chance at WLS, I decided to enjoy my holiday in France. So I was having croisannts with jam for breakfast 2 coffees with sugar and orange juice. At that stage I was unaware of my blood sugar being high, let alone off the scale. So, I had the croissants and jam for brekky then I would have ice cream on the beach, also French pastries because they are incredible over there. Also, pish and tush to diet coke. I had REAL coke and also Orangina. I didn't feel well but put it down to the heat. When we got home I still felt rubbish and I then realized my eyesight was completely up the wazoo. Turns out I had sudden onset acute and severe T2 diabetes. My blood sugar levels were so high I had to go into hospital and start insulin shots every day. When that happened, the surgeon I had first time reconsidered my case and decided that with the diabetes, the bigger risk now was my blood sugar and I finally got my sleeve gastrectomy 7 weeks ago. I've lost 2 stone, but the really amazing thing is this-- I went from having to have 30 units of insulin injected every day. That reduced down to about 18 units during the pre op diet. But since the surgery I have normal blood sugar with NO meds. No insulin, no pills, nada. My surgeon says he is always amazed at how many people with t2 diabetes are cured after surgery. Of course I can't do sugar blow outs any more, but that's fine. Diabetes is a compelling argument FOR WLS, not a reason not to do it. Find another doctor if you're not happy with the one you're seeing. If you're in London I suggest Mr Feinnes at UCH in London. He is the best and I owe him so much for doing surgery on me when I was so high risk from the liver issues. The diabetes is a reason you SHOULD be given the option of WLS. All the statistics back that, it's a well known fact to doctors. Good luck! Let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Thanks Dristy_dame. I really enjoyed reading your post. It feels really nice to know about other's success and i hope i will also be able to tell about my story to others. At the moment i am waiting for my 2nd blood sugar test, which is on this thursday. after that i will take another appointment with the oldest working GP in my practice. I called the practice and got info about all the doctors but i don't think they have reffered anyone for WLS till now. I also spoke with my mom about surgery and she was very happy. She knows how i felt all my life about being over weight. i hope everything gets sorted out soon.

Hi Pinky, Thanks for your advice. I am under St barts hospital for fertility issues. I was trying for a baby for last 3 years but couldn't conceive. My hubby and I have done all the tests and the results came back normal. Fertility Doc also told me to loose weight otherwise he won't start treatment. Do you think i can go to him and tell about WLS? I see him every 3/4 months and my next appointment is on 11th june.

I don't think it will hurt to speak to him. The more professionals on board the better.

Back