• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice needed

A.S

Hi all
My last gastric band failed so I am having it replaced. The doc who inserted the first one and is replacing it has asked me to go on a two week pre op diet which I am really struggling with and it’s only day two. I have been told this particular doctor follows a more extreme diet than the hospital I am using normally uses. They sent me two sets of pre op diets, their regular one plus my doctors specific one. I think it’s important to note my bmi is only 31.5 and on the regular hospital guidelines it states that a person with my bmi (between 30-35) only needs to eat sensibly and follow the hospitals guidelines and pre op diet a few days before the operation but my doctor has requested 2 weeks. I haven’t spoken to him personally about this only a dietitian at the hospital. What I want to know is can I get away with following it for 1 week only?

Sarnie

Hi all
My last gastric band failed so I am having it replaced. The doc who inserted the first one and is replacing it has asked me to go on a two week pre op diet which I am really struggling with and it’s only day two. I have been told this particular doctor follows a more extreme diet than the hospital I am using normally uses. They sent me two sets of pre op diets, their regular one plus my doctors specific one. I think it’s important to note my bmi is only 31.5 and on the regular hospital guidelines it states that a person with my bmi (between 30-35) only needs to eat sensibly and follow the hospitals guidelines and pre op diet a few days before the operation but my doctor has requested 2 weeks. I haven’t spoken to him personally about this only a dietitian at the hospital. What I want to know is can I get away with following it for 1 week only?
Hi, I'd say you need to follow the doctor who is doing the surgery's diet or talk to him about doing an alternative one rather than just doing it off your own back. Good luck with your surgery. x

Bling Babe

Hi all
I definitely wouldn’t so my answer has to be a big No definitely not, the pre-op diet is to reduce the size of your liver, any weight loss is a bonus, my BMI was low before my surgery and I had to do 3 weeks on the milk diet, just milk and at Luton you have to do 4 weeks as soon as you start the journey, but if your considering going against instructions at this early stage I would question if your ready for wls, I’m sorry if this sounds harsh, no offence meant, can I ask why your first band failed?

J

Jonicorn

Hi all

Remember that the surgeon is the person who calls the shots on the day. If he opens you up and your liver is not an acceptable size to maneuver his instruments he will close you up and refuse the surgery and you will have to wait for another date and probably pay for the privileged. All pre op diets are strict, regardless of procedure. Mine was 4 weeks of milk and the first 3 days were torture. Once you are through those days, you are absolutely fine.
If the pre-op diet is a struggle for you, it's likely that your brain hasn't adjusted to the idea of reduced portions. You said your first one failed? was there no pre op procedure for this one?

Hope everything goes well xx