• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

A wee bit confused.

ladylite

I always thought you had to do the milk diet for 2 weeks. Well my surgery date was bought forward and my pre op is next week which will only leave 1 and half weeks before the op. I asked if I should start the milk diet now and they told me I only need to do it for a week.

Could that be cause I have no gall bladder, or I only have a bmi of 43, a bit confused.

Opinions please, thanks.

It was only 10 days for me and that wasn't with short notice either.

Different surgeons have different ideas about pre-op diets :)

I have been told to do mine for only 5 days & my bmi is only slightly higher than yours, so maybe it is a weight thing.

I did question this at the time and asked if my liver will have shrunk enough in that time, but i was told it was to mobilise the fat cells rather than to shrink the liver, this stops it tearing apparently - ouch!

Must admit, i have decided to start the liquid diet shakes i have purchased via my provider 8 days before just to be sure.

I find it amazing how there can be so many variations with the pre & post-op diets, but i guess the professionals know best - its obviously more preference than medical.

Good luck with it anyway, it will be good to know that i will not be doing the pre-op on my own x

Yep, different surgical teams give different advice. Mine was 2 weeks.

Its vital that everyone follows their own surgeons advice.

Yep, the pre=op diets vary wildly from place to place.
My hospital gives a choice of 5 diets, 2 food ones and 3 liquid and we are told to do it anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks before the op. Very strange.
Also, one of our diet plans is just to calorie count 800=1000 cals a day with no mention of reducing carbs! Strange x

I've stuck to my pre-op diet rigidly but the proportion of carbs seems very high. Mind you, I'm averaging less than 700 calories a day in total so I don't suppose I need to worry ?

Rose

Everywhere varies.... I've heard of people doing it with a weeks notice. Don't worry your surgeon and his team know what they're doing...

Good luck with it xxx

Well I double checked and it is only a weeks milk diet. Perhaps it because I am not as large as some (sorry folks) or that dont have a gall bladder, but they know what they are doing.

I missed a phone call from the hopital today, which I think was to tell me my pre op, will ring 1st thing tomorrow.

Thanks folks, I am ready for the milk diet now.:)

hi i have just been given my pre op diet and my op july 20th . i am starting on 25 may i am not on a milk diet . the diest sheet says
this diet is designed to give you approox 100g carbohydrate a day . it is low in fat ( although the extent will depend on food choices) and moderate in protein. the energy level of this diet is between 800- 100 calories a day .
it also states i must eat the specified amount of carbs or i will feel unwell.

i have been given a basic sheet of bits i am allowed..........
i have no gall bladder either but was told that didnt count for any thing lol

well good luck all xx

Well I am on the final day of my milk diet and I must say sometimes it has been easy and sometimes it has been hard in equal measures.

What amazes me and has been said by a few how can I not eat for 10 days and lose approx 12lbs then need this op. Its easy I am food addict, if I stay off food I am fine, but the minute I put some in my mouth, wham bang thank you mam.:break_diet:

Back