• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice or help please??

slimbydecember

Hi guys,

I got approved funding for my band at the beginning of the year. After a couple of appointments at Southmead Hospital in Bristol I was placed on the waiting list on 30th June. I have an appointment on 14th September to have a camera down my throat and then I assume my pre-op appointment will be after that.

I have been trying to cut down my portion sizes and I have managed to maintain my weight roughly for about 7 months now. I tend to gain 2lbs to 3lbs at the weekend and lose it in the week keeping me around the same weight. I'm proud of myself as this means I must be eating 'normally' now to be maintaining my weight.

My dietician at Bristol hospital has said she'd like to see me losing weight and if I turn up to any of my appointments and I have gained weight I will immediately be taken off of the waiting list.

Although I tend to be maintaining my weight I still do feel hungry at times. I just can't get into a dieting mood and i'm so frightened i'm going to be taken off the list.

My compulsion to eat is stronger than wanting my band at times. It makes me sound so ungrateful as I hate being the way I am at the moment and being put on the waiting list for a band was my dream come true. I really believe this is the tool I need to help me control the amounts I eat.

Can anyone give me some motivation to try and get a few pounds off or at least let me know what you guys did??

Thanks

Hayley

First tip is to have breakfast every morning - even at the weekend - as it sets you up positively and helps you to curb picking when you're hungry mid-morning.

If like me you were a binge eater the book 'Overcoming Binge Eating by Dr Chris Fairburn' is invaluable.

As part of the conditions to put me forward for the op I had to attend group therapy for my binge eating disorder (BED). Essentially what we did was read through the second part of the book.

The first part of the book is info on what BED is, why it happens and who it happens to, plus it has a lot of examples of real people's issues.

Basically the first step (in the 2nd part of book) is to forget about dieting. Then it tells you to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner plus three snacks each day. By following the principles in the book I lost 6kgs (13.2lbs) over 4 months and ate much more than I had before and never felt hungry.

Before I'd starve each day then binge on high fat, high sugar, stodgy foods in the evening. I was always either starving hungry or sickeningly full.

Of course this will only apply if this is your problem area.

If you want more info on this pm me - I'm happy to help.

Poppy x

P.S. As to motivation remind yourself daily that you have a goal in mind, don't worry too much about losing as you were told they'd like you to lose weight not that you have to.

Back