• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

advice please Employment support allowance!

CHUCKY

hi please can someone give me some advice.
As you all know i had open bypass 8 weeks ago on thursday and found out i have been laid off from my job due to lack of work.
The problem is i am limited to the type of work i can do at moment, I cant stand for more than about 15 mins at a time due to weight and i have bad knee and also not 100% from op.
If i sign on dole do i have to be able to do any job?
I am currentl on emploment support allowance and have to go for a medical and interview, Do you think i should see doctor before will i need sick note from him.
This is all new to me.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi Julie,

Sorry I am not able to help with your questions but I think if you change the title of your thread to something like "employment support allowance"

You can change the title of your thread by going into the first post and clicking on edit, then click "Go Advanced"

Someone who does know the answers will be alerted sooner!

Can't believe 8 weeks has passed already since your op! Time flies!

I hope all is going well for you?

Love Mini xxx

If you get your GP to sign you off sick for say a month or two, then you can still receive JSA (but its incapacity benefit - same amount). Once you are fit for work, you have to be ready to take anything really so a note from your GP is the way forward I feel. You may not feel ready to work before Christmas, hopefully sooner but you dont want to be worried about money. Hope this helps.

Hi there,

Firstly were you signed off sick in the period you were laid off?

As by law they cannot actually get rid of you if you are under medical sign off. I know they are saying it's due to a lack of work but has anyone else been laid off?

Technically they have to hold the position open to you (unless they go into administration) even though the likelihood of you getting notice the moment you go back is inevitable.

Have they given you notice? Will you get paid for the notice period?

If you are signed off sick still you will not be able to claim Job Seekers Allowance as you are not eligible. You may be able to claim incapacity benefit (although this can take up to 8 weeks to get any actual money) The other option is to be signed off long term and you might be able to get disability benefit. Once you start loosing weight, some of your problems might go away and you will be able to work again.

Once you have been given the all clear by the doctors after this operation you will be able to claim JSA, but you must be able to do any job, if you are not, then you cannot claim this benefit.

Also if you are married or living with someone who earns, you wont get a penny either.

I would seek advice from the CAB, I think your company might be in breech of something here but I could be wrong.

I hope you manage to sort something out.

hi i was contracting was with company for 18 months but as a temp so have no rights.
I am married and at moment i am getting Employment support allowance, They want me to attend interveiw and medical. My current sick note runs out friday and have made appointment for friday with gp.
Will see what he says hope he will give me sick note as i know i cant stand for more than 15 mins without pain at moment.
Thanks everyone

hi im not sure on the current laws but if your going for medical i wish you the best of luck without wanting to be negative although i had a damaged tendon and couldnt walk/stand for more than ten mins at a time i was not on incapacity , you will probably be expected to go on job seekers if they dont agree to incapacity but you can tell them about your limitations and they can help work with you xx

Julie, I am a money adviser and give benefits advice in my job every day. Employment and support allowance is the right benefit to claim if you are currently unable to work and are signed off sick. This replaces the old incapacity benefit which is being phased out and is no longer available to new applicants.

You may be asked to attend a medical, but the mere fact that you are signed off sick at present is enough to qualify you. There are two sorts of ESA - contribution based (doesnt matter what your household income is for this - you are eligible if you have been employed and paid enough National insurance contributions) or Income Based ESA which is for people from a household with a low income and paid regardless of NI contributions.

If you want more specific advice hun, based on your own personal circumstances feel free to PM me.

Whether your employer was right to dismiss you whilst off sick is a seperate issue and one you may wish to take advice on. Try ACAS in the first instance.

hi julie hope your ok xx
i claim benefit as dont work at the moment but i dont think youd be entitled to what i get but as others have said you will be entitled to one of the others. try to not worry too much and maybe go to the cab to get some advice. xxxx

Sams right the old incapacity benefit is no longer available to new applicants, I know this because my son is currently on ESA. The medical will assess you for any kind of work you can do. If your hands and mind work they think there are jobs out there like sitting on a checkout at the supermarket. If they feel you are unable to do anything then you will continue getting ESA but it all depends on your medical. I wish you luck and hope you feel better soonxxx

Back