• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Minimins your advice please

glitterangel

Hi

I'm due to see the NHS consultant on Monday and am not sure what to have. What big B do l go for Bypass,Band or Ballooning???.
I need to know the pro's and cons. I'm at the mo 22 stones so have lots to lose l also have PCOS. Advice please.

xxx:confused:

Hi
I am going for the band
I am 18stone 8 and also have pcos
I started at 20stone 5 and a 6 month weigt management course efore I am referred.
It is completely up to you
I think that I "should" go for the bypass due to the amount of weight I need to lose but I dont want anythin that drastic and still have time to lose the 9 stone. So this is what suits me.
I have not been offered the balloon.
I also dont eat much sweet things so thats another reason for me not wantin the bypass.
I am more a big hearty tea kind of person, I love a plate of bangers and mash etc...
There are lots of helpful peopleon here who will give you the pros and cons on each.
Good luck
x

its a very individual thing i told by consultant to have bypass but i couldnt face the seriousness of the op or not being able to eat sweet things so i had a band i started at 25 st 4 im now 22st 6 after 4mnths the weightloss is slower but it was right choice for me, there are times i wish id had bypass as id be loosing alot more weight more quickly but id rather loose slower and have more choice in my food that probably me not facing upto my food addiction but its working i cant ask for more than that

Hi if you have a bmi of 50 or more most surgeons on the nhs are reluctant to fit a band as weight loss on a band is not as great as a bypass. Also it depends what type of eater you are I am a sweet person myself but also eat far too much and have very will power and I know my inner demons will always win if there is a chance that the system can be cheated and the thought of dumping is what attracted me to having the bypass. Have a look here and see if it helps if you have any more questions just shout BOSPA - The British Obesity Surgery Patient Association

I want a bypass - i'm 35, so time is against me healthwise now. I developed hypertension last year, so i am looking for quicker results.
I have PCOS and hypothyroidism, so i think i will benefit from the reduced absorption element. I am hoping i will be prone to dumping to help with the sugar cravings i get from the PCOS !

I was given the option, but was advised to go for the bypass, as my BMI was very high. The surgeon explained to me that a band is great, but not for people who have a LOT of weight to lose, as it takes longer and is harder to lose the weight. Bypass is more of a permenant thing, you lose weight faster, therefore lowering your BMI quicker which is good because of health reasons. That there are more complications with bands in comparison to bypass.
(All what my surgeon told me)

It would be a good idea to research about the different options yourself, it will look really good if you go to your gp knowing all the facts, risks, pros and cons, and show that you've done your research and are prepared for the risks.

If you ask to be referred for weight loss surgery, and your gp is happy to refer you, you will then see people who will explain the procedures to you, and tell you which would be the best for you individually, based on your weight, your history, your BMI, any other health factors etc.

Good luck.

Oh forgot to add, my eating habits were never questioned, and so it had nothing to do with the type of surgery recommended. Every surgeon is different.

Well I have had The gastric Bypass and in Just 8 weeks tomorrow I have lost nearly 3 stone, I also have PCOS and the surgeon said That it will more or less cure it, I had all the symtoms of PCOS and as of now I'm starting to feel a lot better an feel the benifits already.
At the end of the day its really up to you, But I have not had any problems what so ever with the bypass and would reccomend it to anyone. Personally I didnt want the hassle of going for band fills, and wanted something that will change me forever.
Good luck with what you decide. I hope all goes well for you! x

I second all that's been said. It really is a good idea to research all the options and have an idea of what you want. Your bariatric team will discuss this with you and recommend the option that's best suited to your health needs. I decided on a by-pass because I mainly didn't trust myself with the band. At consultation, the main issue for me was the very high risk of developing frank diabetes. I had gestational diabetes 5 years ago. It was recommended that I have the bypass as it offers a very real chance of stopping diabetes in it's tracks. Also, at a bmi over 50, the bypass offers the greatest weight loss for achieving this health goal. Personally, I'm not too patient so slower weightloss would frustrate me.
xxx

Back