• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice please

Katie84

Hi, i am wanting peoples advice please, if i manage to persuade (beg) my doctor to refer me for gastric surgery what happens after that? i have no idea, do i go hospital? who do i see? i am going to see my psychiatrist tomorrow for my bipolar and see what she thinks about me having surgery see if i am mentally stable now as i used to be all over the place.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Katie, Im not 100% sure as I went private but just wanted to wish you luck with getting your op. Hope all goes well for you xxx

Hi Katie

All hospitals are a bit different. Some do group appointments, let me tell you how mine went.

I went to my gp and explained that for years i've been fighting the flab, done all the clubs and taken most the tablets/milkshakes the works. Now i'm diabetic too.

He sent a referral to my local bariatric surgery team, which for me is Walsall Manor Hospital in the West Midlands. They called me in for an individual appt where i was weighed/measured and then they asked what proceedure i was interested in. I already knew that a bypass was what i needed as i wouldnt be successful with a band as i'd cheat on it. They explained the proceedure in laymans terms and i went home knowing i had to wait for 4 months for my next appt to see if i want the operation still.

My 4 months is almost over so in about 4 weeks i go back to say 'Yes' and then the funding etc is applied for. I get 2 pre-op appts and then the op. In a nutshell.

My advice to you is go through as much of the wls part of this site as you can and also check the nice guidelines and bospa website.

Good luck Katie xx

Hi,thanks for the support unfortunately my bmi is 44 and it needs to be 50 for my area, but i dont mind battling to get it, i have asked doctor before to refer me but he refused but i am going to beg and say i am willing to battle to get this surgery.

Back