• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice please re: NO ENERGY!

831phil

Hi guys - as you know my surgery was almost 3 weeks ago and it went really really well, no complications and I felt on top of the world for the first couple of weeks! I was hoping to go back to work this week, but suddenly I have absolutely no energy - I have tried to resume exercise by just doing a short walk and I am shattered - and also the tops of my legs really hurt and I havent had a problem there before! Is this normal? I am presuming lack of food = lack of energy - but as I had a fab start this has floored me a little and I just want to be able to return to work without falling asleep at my desk!! R xx

I'm no expert and would speak to your team but........are you taking your suppliments? and are you getting your protien? and have you had a B12 injection or been checked for anemia? xxx

I'm having the same problem. I'm three weeks out and for the last 3 days I've been going back to bed for most of the day, due to tiredness. I had a couple of heinz soups rather than the diet ones and it helped a lot. I think I'd not been eating enough protein. I also wasn't having as much caffeine as usual as I was drinking NAS juice instead.

I've got tons of slimfast left from my pre-op diet so I might have some of that each day.

Hi Ruth, I'm not very experienced (7 weeks post op) but I would think it would either be, not enough protein, need a B12 injection or not drinking enough water. Sorry I can't be of more help

Sue xx

Thanks everyone - I havent been drinking enough water - and I have tried to make an effort with that one! Had a slimfast yesterday lunch and the day before and no problems - and really enjoyed it actually - nice and tasty! Had a bit of corned beef hash with cauli-cheese mixed in last night - was nice, but not enjoying this pureed stage at all - makes me wretch just looking at it!! They say you eat with your eyes!! Not had B12 yet - but due for first follow up at end of June. Been taking vitamins but only from Monday when I was given them by GP! Hopefully another week and I will be feeling better xx

I was just the same apart from the sore legs. I was out of hospital 24 hours post op and started walking outside within 3 days however i got to 4 weeks and had a wave of exhaustion come over me.... It's part n parcel of major surgery i think. Just try and get your protein in in any way shape or form you can manage it and most importantly of all, sleep when you're tired xx

Good luck x

I've had the same thing, I had my surgery the same day as you and I went back to work on Monday, I'm not too bad at work but I was planning on going for walks when I get in but I'm coming in from work exhausted and just laying on the sofa all night.
I felt great too the first couple of weeks but this week I am shattered I thought it was becuase I was sat infront of a computer from 9-5 and it was making me tired. I have to start taking iron tablets and vit D & calcium after 4 weeks post op so maybe this will help, Karen xxx

I have taken calcium supplements and multi vits since day one post op, for the record xxx

Its so weird how every area is different - I am now taking the supplements but it was 2 weeks post-op! I have never seen such a big tablet as the multi-vitamin I have to take - hurts going down but not for long!! Feeling a lot better since talking to you lot - had cheesy spaghetti for lunch - not a pureed bit of slop in sight and then my sister made me a gorgeous beef stew with very tender beef - just mashed the potatoes and veg with my fork rather than pureed it and so far its stayed where it is - feels better not to have eaten slop - its just not for me!! Hope I havent done things too quick but I chewed well and mashed where I needed to! Felt energised this afternoon and actually cleaned out one of my cupboards!!

I think you might be low in iron.
My surgeon suggested I watch out for that and mentioned the symptoms you have.
Lynne x

phil, can they not give you a chewable multivitamin? My dietician reccommended either Bassetts or Boots own chewable multivits and they taste really nice.

I think the humongous multi-vitamin I have is the mother of multi-vitamins and better than the ones you can buy over the counter - I am coping better with it now so want to stick to it - plus they are free for me as I dont pay for prescriptions due to under-active thyroid!

Back