• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What did you see or how did you decide to go for surgery .

margaretmc

Hi Everybody
What did you see or how did you decide to go for surgery . I was reading the local news paper The Belfast Telegraph . I seen this article about a man looking for a gastric bypass I didn't even know that the was people getting bariatric surgery in the UK just USA I thought . The next day I made an appointment with my Doctor and told her about the article and ask could I be sent to the Obese clinic at Belfast and she wrote the letter to the Royal Victoria Hospital and the rest is history as they say.
Id like to hear your stories if that's OK . Good luck and take care .
Margaret xx

What happened was I knew a woman who was always big. I didn't see her for a long time and heard she'd had a gastric bypass. Back then I wasn't sure what that was, but when I did see her about a year after her surgery, I was blown away by the change. I honestly didn't recognize her. She looked fantastic. It wasn't just her figure, it was her face too. It was so amazing to see and realize that might be possible for me as well. She just was transformed and it showed in her self confidence too. So when I found out it was possible to get bariatric surgery on the NHS, I went for it. For one reason and another it took 3 years to get it done, but it's the best thing I have ever done for myself and I am only 14 weeks post op. This woman, Patty, said it was her only chance of being slim as most of her family is big, and I knew it was my only hope too. I've lost 3 stone since the op, over 4 stone if you factor my heaviest weight before the 10% I had to lose to get funding and the pre op diet.
I hope the credit crunch doesn't stop other people getting surgery if they need it on the NHS. There is no way I could have had it done privately. Thank God for the NHS, and my wonderful surgeon Mr Fiennes.

I'd sort of heard about gastric bands but just thought that surgery was not for me. I didn't think seriously about it until I read about Fern Britton. It's now called The Fern Effect! I researched it and approached my doctor who said it was a great idea and phoned the surgeon who suggested a bypass. I nearly fell through the floor! Anyway, I researched some more and agreed that it would probably suit me best. Zxx

i slipped in the shower and dislocated my shoulder. after that i asked myself if i hadnt been so big would i of slipped? possiably! would i of done as much damage? no! i kept hold of the shower door and my ar took all 21 stone. After that i started on lipotrim i initially lost 3 stonein 3 months but then in spite of continuing with it for another 6 weeks and not cheating once i stopped loosing. disheartened i went to see my GP who refered me to an endocrainologist. as soo as he saw me and looked at my bloods he asked me what weight i had been as a baby and how long. i told him i was 10lbs 5oz and 17 inches long. he said thet my bloods were fantastic and that my body was converting what ever it could to fat. he said the only thing he would do was a bypass and explained why he wouldnt consider anything else. i wasnt even aware that i could have it done on the NHS as i had never considered surger he gave me some reserch to do and then phoned me 2 weeks later. when he phoned me and said what do you think and i said yes. he said you wont regret it and i havent.

I had struggled with my weight all my life and despite proving that I can diet having lost very large amounts of weight on several occasions I have always put it back on and more besides. When I starting dieting last time which was 21/2 years ago I weighed 29stone 11lbs. I couldn't go anywhere, had crippling osteoarthritis in my knees and I knew that this would be my last chance diet as if I didn't succeed I would be 30stone plus next time and likely dead soon after.

I lost over 8 stone on weight watchers but as always happens I got bored. I did better than usual in that for 18 months I kept it off but no more joined it just up and down the same stone and I suspect that putting it all back on was not far away. My friend had a gastric sleeve op in September 08 and in order to support her I looked for information on the net which lead me here in October 08. I read everyone's accounts of their journey and started to research the ops and decided that a bypass was what I needed. I went to see Shaw Somers in November 08 to see if I was suitable and he emphatically said I was but I wanted to think more and try to kick start my diet as I was scared of the op at over 20 stone. One day in February this year after a particularly bad food day I decided enough was enough and booked the op which was carried out in April.

I'm hoping that all goes well andit seems to be at present. My friend has not done well with her sleeve op and we have a patient who has regained all their weight after a bypass (goodness knows how but he has) so I am cautious but the successes on here give a good example to follow and I'm trying hard to do that in order to make my op successful

Sorry rambled a bit there

M

I'm hoping that all goes well andit seems to be at present. My friend has not done well with her sleeve op and we have a patient who has regained all their weight after a bypass (goodness knows how but he has) so I am cautious but the successes on here give a good example to follow and I'm trying hard to do that in order to make my op successful

M

If you don't mind my asking about your friend, what went wrong with her sleeve? I ask because I had mine done in March and I'm losing and all seems well I still worry.
Sounds like you are doing great with your bypass. I'm sure you will see wonderful results. A lot of success has to do with having a good attitude and accepting that your relationship with food has to change. Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Good luck!

i was ovre 25 stone when i asked for banding because i have a damaged achellies tendon and because of the weight always on it i couldnt walk for more than 5 mins without being in tears i was having ride a bike everywhere and i knew it wasnt going to be long befor id need a moterchair thingy, i also deperatly wanted another child and was told by dr id never be able to carry one let alone get pregnant at that weight, if im honest wish id done it sooner its given me my life back

My brother had bypass last may and he has now lost 12 stone and looks and feels fantastic!
I went to docs 2 weeks after he had his op at the time i wasnt 100%sure if i wanted to have but thought i would get ball rolling anyway and boy am i glad i did as the wait has been horendus will be 15months in total from seeing gp to having op in august.
palm_tree.gif

My heaviest weight about 4 years ago was about 13st2lbs and then I suffered from depression and anxiety and thats when my weight ballooned up to 15st7lbs, My heaviest ever and I said enough was enough, My friend had the gastric bypass a couple of years ago and lost around 11st, I started to do my own research and decieded thats what i wanted, to end the torture of dieting year in year out.
I have no regrets what so ever and only wish i had done it sooner.

After trying every diet ever invented:rolleyes: and each time putting more weight on after it, and seeing Fern Britton's success with the band, I originally went to ask about that.However my surgeoun talked me out if it cos I eat so much crap lol:eek:
Hence i'm having a bypass on july 10th:D:D:D

In October 2007 I lost my Dad and couldn't believe what effect it had on me probably cause I had lost my Mom 5 years earlier anyway was very depressed and off work for 3 months, my bp was sky high and one day at a doctors appointment my doctor said 'have you ever considered surgery' I was flabergasted as I'd heard of the band but not the bypass. In June 2008 had my 1st appointment at the hospital and when I walked in they said 'Do u want the bypass or band' it was as easy as that, it did take 12 months to get my surgery done and I'm now 9 days post op and getting better every day.

Anez xxxx

Hi Margaret, Im 30 with 3 children and just sick to the teeth of being over weight, Im not massive or anything just hate the way I look, I was a size 12 before I had my 1st baby son, was in a shitty relationship and the weight just started to creep up on me, thankfully I ditched the monster I was with and gradually the weight loss followed, then... bang ....one day I met the love of my life, within 6 months I had 2 stone on me and pregnant, my daughter arrived and the weight stayed, 2 years later pregnancy no3 arrived and the weight just kept piling on lb by lb :sigh: before I knew it I had gone from 11st to 15st, mightn't sound much to some people but its a hell of alot to me, I couldn't even shift it for my wedding...well I lost 1 stone but thats it...it very quickly went back on. My baby is 9 months now and if I continue the way I am I will have another couple of stone on me in no time, fed up of clothes like tents and nice clothes not fitting!!

A few months ago I read an article about someone who had a band and every couple of days or so i researched a bit more about it on the internet until eventually 2 weeks ago I plucked up the courage to ring The Hospital Group and within 30 minutes I had £500 paid and my bed booked, I have been dealing with Judy and she is a God send, has had the op herself and so dead on to talk to.

My op is on Saturday and I cannot wait, I am so looking forward to being back to the old me again, a bit flirty, more confident , just back to the girl that my husband 1st fell in love with

One night we went out as a family and when we came back my 21 year old son was asking me if he could pay for me to go to the gym so I can get fit and lose weight, he also broke down in my arms telling me that he didn't want me to die and that he want's his mom around for a long time. I won't join a gym at this weight as I have lost all self respect for myself and my joints are in so much pain due to carrying an excess of 10 stone. I'm doing this for myself and my kids especially my elder one as I was gob smacked for a strapping lad who doesn't show his feelings easy to come out with what he did. Maybe he is embarrassed of me? that thought upsets me as well. So now I am doing something about it and i'm only in the early stages of the referral. My son is off to Afghanistan next month and if he can be brave to fight for our country then I can be brave and have this operation!

Hi Everybody
I loved reading your stories . Jezabelle no your son isn't embarrassed with you he luvs you and want you around for a long time to come . I hope to God he comes back to you safe and sound after his tour of duty . Kate I hope you get your life back after your surgery , That's what I want to because I hate living like this a big fat slob . Anez I`m sorry about you loosing you mum and dad I lost me dad in 1993 and it still hurts like hell.
Candie I hope everything goes well with your surgery hun . FGS you look fantastic hun . Good luck Julie for your surgery in Aug and good on your brother loosing 12 st he did great . I hope to loose about 12 st as well . Serenitylove your looking fantastic as well hun how much weight did you loose altogether . Ditsy-dame good luck with your sleeve hun the was a woman on TV last year that lost 11 st in a year and she looked great . I might be getting one but d rather have the bypass . CCPM I thing you made the right choice for going for surgery with the Osteoarthritis it is very painful , have you found it is helping with the pain hun . hopelesscase your looking fantastic as well . roll on this blinking surgery that's all I can say . Zetacatty good luck with your surgery hun I hope everything goes well for you . Id like to thank you all again . Good luck and take care all of you .
Margaret xx

What fired me into action to do something positive about my weight was seeing a woman in town that must have weighed about 30 stone plus, struggling on a walker frame. She had her daughter with her, who from what I could tell was about 12, she was the same size as me!!

I decided...enough is enough, I don't ever want to end up like that.

So I went to my doctors and asked him about surgery and he referred me to have a band.

Best decision I ever made.:D

Back