• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice

Hi xnataliex

Welcome to Mini's

At the risk of repeating what has already been said...you do have all the best advice by all the above...
You will get lots of support at Mini's and find a lot of like minded friends.

(((hugs)))

Thanks again all for your kindness!! :)
so meggie does this mean that now i have an appointment i will be getting one of the gastric options?

Natalie xx

Hi Natalie, welcome to Mini's. There are so many lovely and supportive people here. Which area of the UK are you in - there will probably be someone from your area who will have a lot more info.

I had G.Band but had to go privately as my area does not do WLS as a rule. I am very pleased so far although I have a long way to go. I wish you every success and hope yr consultation goes well. x

Thankyou Jenni, im from south london, im new to this site so i dont really know how to use it and how to find things lol, but im sure ill work it out in the end :)

Natalie xx

hi natalie just wanted to say welcome and wot a wonderful name you have pmsl thats my name too

love natalie xxx

Hi all, i wondered if anyone can help me?? ....i got a letter through saying i have an outpatient appointment on the 18th september which i mentioned before which would be my first ever appointment, but i recieved a letter through the post today sayin they have changed my appointment to the 27th october, but its for diabetes & endocrine appointment which is a totally different appointment then before and i cant eat or drink anything 8 hours before my appointment, and i was wondering if anyone could help me, if they know what this is about? because they have changed my appointment for something different to the first one i recieved and i dont have diabetes, so im confused to what this appointment is about and just wondered if anyone can help? and also about the not eating or drinking 8 hours before, does this mean they will be doing anything? can anyone help?

hi and welcome, what hospital are you with? this is important as they all work differently.
good luck sue

i got a letter through saying i have an outpatient appointment on the 18th september which i mentioned before which would be my first ever appointment, but i recieved a letter through the post today sayin they have changed my appointment to the 27th october, but its for diabetes & endocrine appointment which is a totally different appointment then before and i cant eat or drink anything 8 hours before my appointment, and i was wondering if anyone could help me, if they know what this is about? because they have changed my appointment for something different to the first one i recieved and i dont have diabetes,

not eating or drinking 8 hours before, does this mean they will be doing anything? can anyone help?

Hi Natalie - this appointment will be to test your fasting blood. It will give an idea of your health and if there is any medical reason for your obesity.

This sort of appointment is very common before weight loss surgery. All sorts of investigations are carried out before surgery, in order to make sure if surgery is the right sort of treatment for the patient, and if there is anything medically that could be tried in order to make the patient lose weight by non-surgical methods. There is even psychological evaluation for patients to make sure that they realise the implications that being slim will have on their lives. Also to make sure that patients who rely on food to deal with boredom, emotions, self-abuse with overeating, and who won't be able to eat so much as before after surgery and how those post-op patients will cope with their emotions without using food.

Surgery is really considered the last resort and if the health professionals consider there are other avenues to try, they will try them.

The doctor at your appointment will be highly qualified in the medical side of obesity, so it is just a normal step you will be on on the process for weight loss surgery if the doctors think it will be the right thing for you.

Weight loss surgery is considered the last resort, (even by surgeons who do weight loss surgery), and only if all other methods have failed, including weight loss medication, and only if the patient is medically suitable for it.

Going through weight loss surgery process on the NHS is most often a long process, which I suppose is why so many go private.

Whatever happens, I hope you do well on your weight loss journey.

Last edited:
Thankyou for that information, it has helped alot, the only thing i worry about is i dont really know what to say to them, i have tried weightloss medication from my GP, also have bought weightloss medication from a private clinic a few years back now, and ive tried weight watchers, slimming world, rosemary conley, and more diets!! and i dont seem to have the wheel power to keep it up etc and i feel that the only way i can be helped and would want is to have the band or bypass!!

Hi Natalie and welcome to this lovely board.

I see that you are in South London so may we ask what Hospital you have been referred to? There are a few South London peeps on here so we may be able to give you a little bit of help about the next steps on your journey. Just remember that every hospital has its own procedures and sometimes different surgeons at the same hospital do things entirely differently as well (eg there is someone else on here who is also going to have her op at Kings College, but she is under a different surgeon to me and her journey so far has been entirely different)

Good luck

TillyBob

Hi Natalie and welcome to this lovely board.

I see that you are in South London so may we ask what Hospital you have been referred to? There are a few South London peeps on here so we may be able to give you a little bit of help about the next steps on your journey. Just remember that every hospital has its own procedures and sometimes different surgeons at the same hospital do things entirely differently as well (eg there is someone else on here who is also going to have her op at Kings College, but she is under a different surgeon to me and her journey so far has been entirely different)

Good luck

TillyBob
hi, they have referred me to st thomas hospital in london, so i dont know what there gonna say to me and weather i will get and answer from them! i just really hope they will save yes and are able to give me the funding to have the band or bypass!! :)

Hi all, i just wondered if anyone can tell me abit more about the gastric bypass, because i was thinkin of asking for the band, but alot of people keep telling me about the bypass and maybe i should go for that! i just wanted to know how different the bypass is and is the eating bit different to the band??

hope to hear from you soon x

Back