• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice sort re my eating (whilst waiting hospital appointment)

Watching my daily calorie intake

• helps keep me on the straight and narrow

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • is something I keep an eye on, when I can

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • is neither here nor there to me

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • is of no use what so ever. It scares me

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ryanrara

RyanRARA
Hi all (me again). Need some advise really. If you have seen my previous posts you will know I have had a terrible time with my eating. I am 3 months post op (open bypass) and cant stomach most pureed foods, and hardly any solids. My daily food at moment consists mainly of ready break for breakfast and dinner (very, very smooth). Then my snacks vary from cheese (babybel, applewood, cheese spread), crackers (ones that crumble easily), bread sticks and cheesy wotsits. This has been my staple diet for a few weeks now. For drinks I have coffee, water, watered down apple, orange or pineapple juice and if go out I have a latte(or 2). Now the hospital are having me back in a few weeks and putting a camera down and a possible a stretch is required. As said I have blogged about this already so you may be aware. But that's not really what I am posting about today.
The food I can manage, other than the porridge, isnt really good for me. Slider foods mainly, Crackers full of carbs, cheese full of carbs (though plenty protein thankfully).
When I do try something new, like the other night i tried four tea spoons of minestrone soup, and landed up sick for over an hour.
With that in mind, as of about three weeks ago, as I was sick every day (and when I start vomiting it takes a good few hours to settle before I can even manage water agaiN), I decided to only have the food I can manage, ie porridge, crackers, soft cheese, etc. And keep doing this until I have my hospital appointment next month. That way I stop vomiting and give my tummy a much needed rest. Not a great fix but until I see the surgical team it's the best option.
But now here is my issue. When I wasnt managing the food and vomiting all the time, I was lucky if I took in 300 - 400 calories a day and 20g of protein. Not great I know, but on a plus note its only been three months and I am 6.5 stone down.
But now that I am focusing on the food I can handle, my calories have shot up to 800 - 1000 a day. Cheesy wotsits are 95 calories a bag, a latte 200 calories plus, cheese (2 pieces) 150 - 200 calories, if I have babybel thats 60 calories a baby bel. Then when I have my pineapple juice for example. 300 ml = 165 calories. So I am racking up all these calories, but not having a proper meal. My meal is my porridge, which luckily has loads of nutrients, etc.
I am taking my supplements - ie adcal, forceval, etc. And as my porridge full of goodness I think I may be getting away with the nutrients I need. My GP is doing a full blood count next week all the same. And remember my surgical team will be doing the camera in the next few weeks.
I am just panicking that its mainly junk I am eating and that I am taking in far too much calories. And then my weight loss slows down. It has over passed three weeks.
It could be coincedence, as will all slow down at a stage and I had a big start, or is it because I am eating all the wrong things.
I have decided I will stop the cheesy wotsits from today, as there is no value in them. WHen I first started with them, it was to up my calories to 300 or 400. But now I have surpassed that I dont need them.
I might try soups again, as have more goodness, its just that Minestrone made me violently ill.
I know they say dont count calories, but being so early post op, I want too, as I want to know where I am. What calorie intake is the guideline? WHat do you average on?
Any help, advise?
Bearing in mind until I see surgical team in a few weeks, I am not overley keen to start trying different foods again.
What makes it worse, work has been hectic and I am forever in the office and as a result I havent done much exercise yet. Thats also worrying me. I have bought a Wii and a Wii fit though and have a 5mile walk planned for New Years day and again 2 weeks later.
:-(

Blimey :(
I apologise if I sound patronising - honestly dont mean to at all :) have you tried making your own soup??? Like a really tasty butternut squash & red pepper, stick some bouillion powder in it bit of onion and garlic???

Is there anything that you fancy that you could make wetter and intto mush???

Forgive my ignorance as I am not up to speed at all with post-op foods, just thinking what I would eat myself - if that makes sense xx

Hi! I had my sleeve 3 weeks ago so am on the purée stage. I wonder if the problem with the minestrone was the pasta in it?

I have made a couple of recipes that were my favourites when weaning my boys!! Annabel Karmel recipes are fab, and you can adjust the consistency really easily to suit purée or soft stage. I have tried one pot chicken, stewed pears and lentil soup so far.

It is difficult when you've had a fright like that, but my advice would be to look again at your diet sheet, go back to purée with good quality proteins and take one step at a time.

Crackers x

Ryan - stick with the lattes, but switch to skinny ones - same protein, but minimal fat. Keep your chin up sweetheart; they'll sort you out eventually, then you can concentrate on finding Mr Right (or Mr Right Now anyway).

Back