• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

What do you think ?

debbieb

As people who have read my posts will know, I am now 9 weeks post bypass and things are not running smoothly at the moment, and I have got to have the join between my stomach and intestine stretched as it is too narrow , ( DREADING IT!!!! HAVING PANIC ATACKS ALREADY !!)...
anyway, long story short. my daily food intake at the moment consists of 1 weetabix, roughly 2 fat free yogurts, and a tin of soup.. Which doesn't amount to a lot of calories.
But I have today discovered that I can manage soft crisps such as ,quavers, French fries etc...but I am feeling guilty for eating these as I know that they are empty calories, but I am hardly eating anything anyway, and all I want to do is get past the liquid/ purée stage and be eating regular food again, can't wait for a jacket potato !!.. So what do you think? .... Should I be eating crisps or not ?..x

Hi,

Can't sleep so thought I'd reply quickly, it is empty calories and will make you feel crap. Try cracker breads with something spread on them (marmite) and dipped is something hot so they melt much as crisps do. It's better to train yourself right now rather than let bad habbits get the better of you already.

Night x.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I agree, this will be the road to ruin. Start thinking healthy options now, otherwise you will struggle x

As people who have read my posts will know, I am now 9 weeks post bypass and things are not running smoothly at the moment, and I have got to have the join between my stomach and intestine stretched as it is too narrow , ( DREADING IT!!!! HAVING PANIC ATACKS ALREADY !!)...
anyway, long story short. my daily food intake at the moment consists of 1 weetabix, roughly 2 fat free yogurts, and a tin of soup.. Which doesn't amount to a lot of calories.
But I have today discovered that I can manage soft crisps such as ,quavers, French fries etc...but I am feeling guilty for eating these as I know that they are empty calories, but I am hardly eating anything anyway, and all I want to do is get past the liquid/ purée stage and be eating regular food again, can't wait for a jacket potato !!.. So what do you think? .... Should I be eating crisps or not ?..x

Just to say - I had Quavers few weeks back and was fine, however(!) - then decided a couple of weeks later had chipsticks and frazzles (packet of each) and boy did I feel like S**T !!
Was up all night, very ill and all because I made wrong choices!!
However it can be hard to stick to rules especially when your food range is sooo limited :sigh:
Try some low calorie dips with melba toast (these melt in mouth) or some philly cheese (if you can manage it)

Not done any snacky crispy thing since and have made sure when I eat have had healthy choices :eek:

Think sometimes it is good to learn from ones mistakes though! :eek:

thanks everyone,
i was struggling with this one as my food choices are so limited, and sometimes i think i do it out of frustration !!!, all i want to do is eat solid food
,for example as i am writing this now i have had half a ryvita, chewed it to death and ate it , but i am already feeling sick !!!...(hopefully i can manage to keep it down.), but i take on board what you say and i will be off to tesco's for some crispbreads and melba toast . THANK YOU. XXXX

Try the dutch crispbakes its in a round packet, I no tesco and morrisons sell them same area as melba and crackers etc for me wen i was on that stage they went down better I had problems with the melba toast it was getting stuck, its really soft wen in mouth and they taste nice hope they help you can't be easy being limited to what you eat xx

if you can manage a packet of soft crisps then you should be able to manage a jacket potato with a bit of gravy to mash it down a bit.. which although still just carbs would be better for you than the crisps xx

Keep off the crisps, try melba toast or bread sticks with low fat cheese spread or low fat pate instead chew until it us completely dissolved in your mouth and wait twenty seconds before your next bite, if you can eat crisps this shouldn't be any different remember tiny bites too xx

Hi debbi
It must be really hard food wise for you as your op hasn't gone the way you expected it to. At least you know when they stretch you it will be much better. I think on so little calories i would be looking for foods that go down easily. A packet of quavers isnt going to mean disaster in the future, so dont beat yourself up about it, you should be enjoying normal food at 9 weeks but your not and i can only imagine how hard that is.
Kim

Thank you everyone, I take on board what you all say, it's just so frustrating !!!... I know that there is always a risk of complications with these op's as that is one of the first things that your consultant tells you , and I know that the benefits out weigh the risks.... And yes I have not had it easy , BUT...I DON'T REGRET HAVING THE OP!...it's just so dis heartening when I read all the fantastic success stories here and think why did it go wrong for me ? ...the lovely lady who was in the bed next to me and had the op in the morning as I had mine in the afternoon ( who i have now become friends with) , she was eating solid foods at 3 weeks !!.....
Sorry for the whinging moan people just feeling a little down. X

Ryan had the same problem and he ate wotsits to keep his cals up, as he was extremely limited to what would go down. Really dont beat yourself up over quavers. You are going through enough at the moment without feeling guilty too. I am sure once you have had the stretch, the empty cals will go out the window. You are pleased you had your bypass. Which means you will make it work :)

Good luck to you chick xxx

Thanks fluffs, like you said I don't regret having it done it just gets you down when things keep going wrong that's all. X

That is totally understandable! And at the moment to avoid becoming depressed you need to get by however you can. Just like Ryan did. Now he has gone on to lose loads of weight and hasnt got a problem. So just keep your chin up as much as possible and get through this rough time as best you can (((hugs))) x

thank you,
you can always manage to feel a little better, once you have spoke to people on here . xxx

Then our job is done :D thats what we are here for. Glad you feel a little better now lovely xxx

Back