• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice wanted new here

BEXS99

Loves this site x

Hiya am new on her, have been over weight for years, but worse the last few years as the consultant put me on steriods, I weight 20 stone and my consultant said i tick all the boxes for gastric surgery - want it done but done, if you get me, am scared that might die or something go wrong, is the surgery more common now and what do i need to prepare myself for x

Thanks x

I had my surgery a year ago and whilst I was nervous before the op, I would change nothing now. My bypass has given me my life back.

Bexs if you seriously want it done then get yourself physically prepared for it.....

My gp told me to walk for half hour a day every day. The fitter you are the better you should be with the anaesthetic and recovery. If you can manage to lose a bit of weight all good as well...

Does your provider ask that you lose a certain amount before surgery?

Hiya Bex and :welcome2:to the forum. All I can say to you is read up and find out everything you can about the different weight loss surgery ops. This is a great place to learn as we have many bypass patients, banders and gastric sleeve patients who can give you advise from their own personal experiences. Also speak honestly to your gp and consultant about your eating habits as they will know which op would best suit you. Ask away any questions you can think of and some one here will try and answer them for you. Good luck on your journey sweetheart.

Hi Bex & welcome.. I agree with others in that you should chat with your surgeon & then try to eat more healthy now to to get you in the right frame of mind.
I too am very near to having a sleeve or bypass & I'm VERY nervous ;) I keep questioning myself am I doing the right thing? I think this is probably normal as you don't go into such a life changing op without proper thought & investigation such as being here asking questions.
You will be fine, take your time ask questions find out as much as possible until you feel comfortable with your decision .
Hugs xx

Last edited:
hi bex and wecome to WLS, i can't add anything the others haven't already said.
wishing you lots of luck with what ever you decide to have.

Hi there & welcome to the WLS forum. Like the others say, you need to do as much research as possible so you fully understand what different types of surgery there are, and how they are used as a tool to help you lose weight. You also need to work out what type of 'eater' you are, because this will help you & your surgeon to decide what type of surgery would be best for you. Then you really need to make an effort to make your eating habits as healthy as possible, and improve your fitness to make you as healthy as you possibly can be for surgery...I'm not suggesting you start training for a marathon but try to increase physical activity as your health will allow between now & the surgery. As for being scared about dying during the op...most of us have felt like that, but you need to consider several things to help balance this out: if you don't have WLS then you will possibly die prematurely from obesity-related diseases anyway, and secondly, WLS is much more common now than it ever was. Many surgeons, their anaethetists and their teams have performed hundreds, if not thousands of these operations, so they are very experienced. Also, they do every available health check before surgery to make sure you will be as well looked after as you can be during surgery.

Back