• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

new to this site

bertie26

Hello everyone
I am a new member. I need advice and support. I was referred to Walsall hospital for a review. the consultant said he will do a gastric bypass since I qualify for nice criteria for bariatric surgery . I have subsequently found out the PCT I fall under changed their rules for bmi to 45 if you have co morbidities.I have a BMI of 40.1 when I was assessed.

I am absolutely devastated since it took so long for them to decide I am a suitable candidate and now the rules have changed. i am scared i am going to die a overweight diabetic can anyone suggest alternatives to get my weight down to help me rid myself of this uncontrolled diabetes. thank you Albert Smith

Hi Bertie and :welcome:

I too am a Walsall Manor bod, there is a dedicated Walsall Manor Thread here

Was your funding application made before the change? What PCT are you under?

Hello I saw Dr. Hartland in August. All he told me was that it will take nine months waiting time and that i am a suitable candidate. He said I will have to see the other members of the team on separate appointments.
I called on Monday and his secretary told me that there will be no appointments because I fall outside the criteria and a letter has n=been sent to my Gp to explain this to me.I sent and email to the hospital and the complaints manager told me that Dr Hartland agree that I am eligible under Nice criteria but not under South Birmingham POT since they changed their rules in July. I was upset and felt if he knew this before my consultation or at the time why did he not inform me . I am desperate and fear i am going to die from diabetic complications. thank Albert

Hi Bertie and welcome.

Sorry things have not gone to plan so far. Might be worth a call to your local PCT just to establish the current criteria and when it changed. Then perhaps if you were referred under old criteria they may agree to fund it.

If not, is going private an option for you?

criteria

The consultant at selly oak hospital refered me in may /june I got my apointment letter in Juearly July. does it mean there is hope that one can argue that i was in the system at the time of the change and can such an argument hold its weight thanks albert

private

hi there going private is not possible at least for another 3 yers when I am able to afford it. thanks

Bertie,

It is certainly worth the enquiry and potential fight. I would do as Sam suggests in the first instance to establish a timeline of events. Some of the people on here have had long and oftentimes traumatic journeys to their surgery dates, but on here you will find help, encouragement and advice will help you all along the way.

hello thanks you all make me fell better already. I think I will request a referral letters from Tracy Lowe and write to the PCT about that. I hope the people in Walsall hospital will forgive me for writing a complaint, however if I did not I would have been none the wiser. I hope they do not feel hard done by with the complaint anyway nothing ventured nothing gained. bye albert

Bertie,

There is nothing wrong with requesting dates of letters, copies etc. It is your right. The other avenue of help you may wish to consider is PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service). The contact details are on the Walsall Masssiiiiive thread, which I posted a link to earlier. I'll see if I can dig them out for you.

One of our number, Tranquil Butterfly, has had one helluva fight to get her surgery date. I am very happy to report that after going toe-to-toe with various officials - she got there. So hang on in and start that ball rolling!

On a different note, the Walsall Manor people (aka the Walsall Massssiiiiive!) meet monthly at Harrison's Sports & Social Club in Great Wyrley. The next meeting is Monday 18th October (next Monday) 7pm. You are very welcome to come along!

Back