• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice wanted please with regards to alcohol.

xdebbiex

I have been asked to go out with my girlie friends over the christmas holidays. I am at the moment 4 weeks post op.
I haven't yet tried alcohol and would normally have a glass of wine with soda or a JD and diet coke...
I am aware that I cannot have pop and I am unsure about drinking because of the sugar content, so I thought I would ask the people who know best !!
So please any advice and info on what you drink when you go out would be good.
I did consider having a glass of wine maybe the week before at home to see how I react to it.
Also I wanted to wait untill I had at least gone through the weaning stages of my post op.
I am on week 2 of my puree stage my consultant recomends me to be on this for 3 weeks.
All info much appreciated Thank you Debbs x x

Hospital advised me to wait at least 3 months before trying booze and then to try at home before going out as it hits you much much faster than it used to. Obviously you cannot have any carbonated mixers and even leaving them to go flat is not a particularly good idea. Its hard - lots of people on here take their mixers with them when they go out - fresh juice as opposed to the sugar stuff that pubs and bars serve. I would stick to a small glass of wine but do a test run at home first

this WLS is so confusing we all have the same operation yet different areas give us different advice I wonder why that is? I have been told no alcohol for a year? some say 6 months some say 3 months I am confused as to why when we have all had the same op? very strange

I agree Lisa, I have an appointment with Mr ammori in december I will ask him when I go see what he says !! x

i agree best thing to do but I often wonder why they give us diferent time limits...I was told 4 weeks fluids then puree I did 10 days fluids and could not take anymore and am now happily on puree lol I just listen to my body when i feel ready and like they say try a little at home if it don't agree leave it a while before trying again, your body knows what it can take and can't. Good luck on your journey hun xxxx

I havent tried alcohol yet as I too was advised to wait 1 year.

I think if you do decide to have a drink it would be a good idea to try something at home first, and avoid anything fizzy.

I havent been told a time limit, the dietician just said becareful if you have alcohol as the effects of it will not take much at all....I will ask though at my next appointment. Thanks for yr replys x

It is very confusing, think we have to use our own judgement as well as advice from our own surgeons. However, I went out a couple of weeks ago with the full intention of having a couple of vodkas and am still waiting to have them now!! I really just didn't feel like it at all, how wierd is that??? and I haven't touched any since. I do take my own blackcurrant juice to the pub and buy bottled still water and so far i'm happy with that. Never thought I would say that though...

I'm no expert, but apparently it's the strain on your liver that's the worry. Not to metion the "cheap date" effect.
I'd stick with soda (perhaps!!)
love
Sandra

Sam, Lisa, i'm guessing Mr Khan and co say wait a year for what is actually a very good reason......

Optimal weight loss is in your first year is it not? Alcohol gives your body no benefits only empty calories and probably a sore head..... I'm thinking if you want to have a 'festive' drink with friends then go for something low in cals like vodka or gin and use a flat mixer. Pace yourself with water or cordial in between your drinks so that you don't have as many cals and also don't get sloshed too quickly xxx

Thank you for your advice, and yes it was just the festive drink with a few friends and soda I have ben told is a no no as I cannot have carbonated drinks..SO i think I will ask advice if unable to then it's not the end of the world..Thanks again to all. x:)

The other problem is addiction transfer from food to alcohol. There have been 1 or 2 members here who have experienced this and it is not a good way to replace the support that food gave you.

Moderation is the word.

John

The other problem is addiction transfer from food to alcohol. There have been 1 or 2 members here who have experienced this and it is not a good way to replace the support that food gave you.

Moderation is the word.

John

Good point John, a scary thought to change an addiction from food to booze......

I think i'll stick with my choice of clothes shopping as my new addiction when i get my operation :):):)

Back