• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Can you still drink alcohol?

Suwiexx

Are you able to drink alcohol after a bypass? What types can you not drink anymore I'm not a big drinker but I do like to have a bottle of wine at the weekends or a stick to cider shandy will I never drink these again?

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

I have been told 12 months but again, different hospitals offer different advice. I can't see shandy ever being ok as lemonade is fizzy. They will be a no no. After bypass you can feel the effects up to seven times faster and it can take up to 10 times longer to come out of your system. Be careful. x

I was told no for the first year x

I haven't been told anything about alcohol yet. Do you think it would be silly and out the question if I had a little sip on Xmas day. It's my birthday but if I can't it no great loss. I'm having op 9th dec x

i was also told for a year anything fizzy will be a nono but i wont say yes but be carefull

amy_m said:
I haven't been told anything about alcohol yet. Do you think it would be silly and out the question if I had a little sip on Xmas day. It's my birthday but if I can't it no great loss. I'm having op 9th dec x

Amy you will probs find you don't even fancy a one by then.

I know I won't but my friends tend to push. Lol sounds terrible I know they don't actually know about surgery so I think I'll just mix my own and not put any in lol x

am 7 weeks out and went out sat night and never wanted a drink, get so full drinking water never mind booze x

I am not a drinker at all but do like a Baileys at christmas , i am wondering if that will be a complete no no , acholchol and sugar , anyone out there tried it ?

I would be scared of Bailey's!! All that sugar! and you will only be 3 months post op. Do you really want to risk dumping on Christmas day? And pobably feeling drunk form it?
Up to you, you're an adult after all.

Anything fizzy is out although I have had the odd sip of champagne gone nearly flat here and there.
Wine is ok but I feel the effect after just one glass. I can never have more than one glass per evening. Cheap date me ;-)

Oh no I only drink Asti or fizzy sweet wines. I know the opp is more important but when you say I can never ever drink my favourite drink again or any other it does make me think can I actually do this?

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

Depends on what's more important to you, I gladly forfeit fizzy drinks for health, a new life and a slim body. What a small price to pay.

Depends on what's more important to you, I gladly forfeit fizzy drinks for health, a new life and a slim body. What a small price to pay.
same here, i drink lager for england, but thats a no no, bye bye booze :) not touched any alcohol for about 6/8 weeks now x

I am not sure about them, I was told the reason for no fizz is there is not enough room in the new stomach for the gas. I do know some Banders use fizzy drinks to shift food that is stuck. Not sure if this is recommended though.

Hey Marie , my thoughts exactly, looks like a no bailey or booze christmas , can't say i am bothered in the slightest , like i said not a drinker and never have been. Shame i have not had the shame attitude to food ( up until now that is , so loving my Bypass).

Back