• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice with protein in my diet!!

uglyduck16

Hi Everyone
I was told that I need 90g of protein in my diet every day. I was having these protein shots that helped me a lot, but then they changed them and I did not like the 'new and improved' version and I am now struggling a lot with my diet. Has anyone got any ideas of how I can get 90g of protein everyday?? There is no way I am getting that much - it is just impossible :(
Does anyone know of any supplements or anything out there that are low in sugars and fat (cuz otherwise I just dump!) that taste nice?? Or any ideas??!
Thanks for reading!

:party0011: :party0049: Xxx em xxx :party0049: :party0011:

Hi hun
I have the protein shakes from discount supplements in drinks or I mix a scoop with natural yogurt and it tastes great (strawberry flavour):p
I also eat baby bels and cheese slices, plus lots of beans and pulses as I am a veggie:D

I have to have 100gm protein a day because I have had a DS.

I get that without protein supplements because I find them totally unpalatable.

I have at least a pint of milk a day plus a milky coffee mid morning - I'm having whole milk for the extra calories and the fat to help with the constipation I can get with my painkillers.

I try to remember that 1oz of meat or fish is 7 gm protein - so I aim to have at least 3oz of that at lunch and tea - I dont do well with hard cheese but have Philly or something similar at suppertime. I also have at least one yoghurt a day, the big activa ones have 7gm protein and some of the M&S ones even more. I also nibble on nuts as they are high in protein.

Try Burgen bread or other seeded similar breads - burgen has 6gm per slice.

The pre-cooked crispy bacon is also high and I have heard Morrisons is high in protein but haven't been there for ages.

Eggs - scramled, mixed in mash, custard, rice pud etc - all boost protein

And adding milk powder to all the above, milk, coffee, soup, all adds extra protein

I've done this since I came off sloppies - I threw my out of date protein supplements away - Atkins bars are high some 16 gm low carbs and might help as long as they won't make you dump!! - and my blood proteins have always been tickety-boo

Hope this helps - bet you are getting more than you think

Good luck

Angela

Thank you for your replies! I think the problem also is that I am quite a fussy eater :rolleyes: I do like the babybells though, I have the babybell lights and I do try and drink a lot of milk. I drink skimmed milk as I find that I am sensitive to foods/drinks with a high fat content - even the semi-skimmed milk made me feel sick!! I am happy drinking skimmed though. I bought some of the unflavored whey protein powder today from Holland and Barrett, it was half price £12.99 - a lot cheaper from one that I ordered online and have been adding it to smoothies.
Angela - what is a DS??
Xxx em xxX

Hi

A DS is a Duodenal switch - another sort of WLS - basically a sleeve gastrectomy - biliopancreatic diversion (redirecting digestive juices) - and attaching duodenum (switching it) to about 100 cms from where the small intestine joins the large one. That gives a much shorter channel than with an RNY and hence more maladsorption.

It keeps the two openings to the stomach so "dumping" CAN be less of a problem though some DSers do dump - the biggest problem is the adsorption of nutrients - thats why we need the high protein diet - 100 gm a day to get whats needed by the body.

Hope this helps - it is done in the NHS - Mr Dexter does it and its done quite often in Liverpool and I know of one London hospital that does it - but a senior moment means I can't remember which one - oops ;)

Angela

ah right cool, I was just told about the band and the bypass and decided on the bypass as I would have been able to cheat the band to easily with ice-cream and I can't eat that sort of food now cuz of dumping!! :)
Thanks for your help,
Xxx em xxX

Good thread.

Back