• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help with protein plzzzz

Kirabear

Hi All

Had my bypass a week ago and am struggling with getting the fluids down

My main prob is the protein, I really don't like the Fortimel drinks they give me as Im not a lover of milkshakey drinks.
I am drinking some but its making me feel sick.
The Fortimel have 20g of protein per bottle....
Anyone got any ideas what I could have instead....bear in mind im still on liquids for another 3 wks
Thanks in advance :)) xx

Mandi xx

Chicken soup, mushroom soup, cheese sauce. You'll have to sieve the bits out of the soup though. You can also have beef consommé soup. I wouldn't worry too much about protein while your on liquids. Just concentrate on getting the fluids in. I used to have sugar free ice lollies and tip tops when I struggled to drink :)

Ohh paula thats a good idea, the tip tops :) will give them ago.

Cant have cheese sauce at the mo, only allowed tea, Coffe, Soup , Oxo and Sugar free squash x

My dietitian recommends a pint of milk a day in the early wks as that is where you will get most protein from because you cannot eat enough food just make milky tea. The pint also counts towards your 2 litres a day liquid goal

Can u have yOgurt? Asda doing a yogurt made by danone/danio for 50p each. Hered the thing its a size of a muller lite 180g? Each 100g gives you 15g protein! I'm 12 mnths post op struggling to get protein in. Picked these up sunday, they're very nice tasting but super thick u can hold pot over ur head it won't come out! Will help for puree I guess but not sure if can water down with milk? Or if you'd want to! But may help u in few weeks. Sainsburys do them 85p each or 2 for £1. Tescos they're 89p each.

Bovril? Make ur own broth or stew for family try just the broth for yourself orr make your own in milk pan?Boil a chicken thigh with onions/herbs as if making stock and drink that?

You can add water or milk to anything that seems too thick. That will help with fluids. Like Paula says don't worry about getting maximum protein in these first few weeks, you will be able to get more and more by the time you are eating properly but if you concerned you can get your liquids and protein in one go with protein water - flavoured water with added protein, type it in to google and you can buy it online. I've never had it but lots of people on here use it and love it. Good luck x

Skimmed milk.

Sugar Free Crusha Milkshake with skimmed milk.

Make the above into strawberry or raspberry milk lollies. :D Yum :D

hi.. its been brought to my attention that whilst afore mentioned yogurts are jam packed with protein the sugards are something to be careful of for dumping etc.. Theres a layer of fruit compote at the bottom I avoid, I figure this is where the sugar etc.. is, however be careful if trying :) Ive eaten 4 since Sunday and so far so good, but sayign that I dont eat the fruit bit and theres no "natural" version of it. :)

I tried one scooter and I dumped. Same thing happened with Perle Du Lait yogurt too. I was in work when I dumped on that one, which was a tad embarrassing lol. Sliming into a bin wasn't the most attractive thing for my workmates to witness :-/

oddly enough Paula, Ive tried every other kind of yogurt and I cant keep it in. These things, theyre ok so far.. however should they make me like that theyre out the window.

Im surprised to be fair that Ive been ok on them as cant even do natural yogurt, and Ive dumped on random things and carry my own bin round with me for the eventuality, but they like me at the moment and I like them :D indeedy

Last time I dumped at work, full scale panic stations ambulance and flashy lights

Weight watchers toffee an vanilla yogurts are good, I haven't dumped on them at all they are both less than 6gs sugar which my provider recommends for yogurts. X

oddly enough Paula, Ive tried every other kind of yogurt and I cant keep it in. These things, theyre ok so far.. however should they make me like that theyre out the window.

Im surprised to be fair that Ive been ok on them as cant even do natural yogurt, and Ive dumped on random things and carry my own bin round with me for the eventuality, but they like me at the moment and I like them :D indeedy

Last time I dumped at work, full scale panic stations ambulance and flashy lights

Oh no!! Have you tried petit filous? I'm ok with them :)

I tried one scooter and I dumped. Same thing happened with Perle Du Lait yogurt too. I was in work when I dumped on that one, which was a tad embarrassing lol. Sliming into a bin wasn't the most attractive thing for my workmates to witness :-/

Oh dear, poor you :( I take it dumping doesn't give you enough time to get to the loo then? So if trying something new should we try it at home first? Although some people have said something I dump on one day, I may not dump on another day :confused: Just thinking ahead about this wedding I'm going to in July and still worried about eating (and dumping)! :eek:

Last edited:
Oh dear, poor you :( I take it dumping doesn't give you enough time to get to the loo then? So if trying something knew should we try it at home first? Although some people have said something I dump on one day, I may not dump on another day :confused: Just thinking ahead about this wedding I'm going to in July and still worried about eating (and dumping)! :eek:

It all depends which end it come out of lol. If its the nether regions, I usually have a bit more time. If its coming up and out its very quick. But that's just me. Sorry if that's TMI :)

Just stick to the basics at the wedding. Meat and veg etc if its a sit down do and avoid the puddings just incase. You can always take some snacks with you. Dumping is weird. As others have said you can be fine with something one day, then not the next. Once you've experienced a dump, you'll know the warning signs to look out for :)

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions :))
I managed to find a choc favoured fortimel so all good and getting 20g of protein in each one x

Back