• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Advice

Hi everyone

Over the last month or so, my weight loss has been really inconsistent. I'm finding myself putting on weight, loosing it, putting it back on and haven't moved much over the month. It's disheartening seeing the numbers go up on the scales. An example, I put on 3lbs last week and only lost 1lb as of today.

Basically, I eat three meals a day and one snack. I'm finding it easier to eat solids now (it has stopped hurting!! :D) so I've been able to up my calorie intake to around 800/900 a day. Everything I'm eating is low in fat and healthy as it can be.

I've increased my activity levels by walking and doing 30 minutes most days on the cross trainer. I never gained when I was on the liquid diet so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong now that I'm on solids. Feel like I haven't had much support from The Hospital Group people.

Breakfast is always wheatabix with skimmed milk. Lunch baked potato with low fat spread cheese and salad. Dinner varies from mince to children's ready meals (low fat, low salt etc). I'm only eating what my dietitian has suggested I eat so I'm following the guidelines accurately.

Advice and reassurance please. :(

first of all can i say the childrens ready meals although say low fat, low salt etc... are higher in fat and sugar than most adult ready meals.
Is your protein over 60g?
1. aim for between 800 and 1200 calories a day.
2. have 60g and over protein per day
3. aim for meals which are below 5g of fat per 100g and below 5g sugar per 100g.
4. aim for 2lt (2000ml) fluids per day... ie tea, coffee, nas squash, options hot choc, water etc.

if you are already doing all this then just tell me to shut it.

also what maybe helpful.. is do a food diary... to help with counting the calories and the protin log your food also on my fitness pal

let me know hun xx

Raynebubble said:
first of all can i say the childrens ready meals although say low fat, low salt etc... are higher in fat and sugar than most adult ready meals.
Is your protein over 60g?
1. aim for between 800 and 1200 calories a day.
2. have 60g and over protein per day
3. aim for meals which are below 5g of fat per 100g and below 5g sugar per 100g.
4. aim for 2lt (2000ml) fluids per day... ie tea, coffee, nas squash, options hot choc, water etc.

if you are already doing all this then just tell me to shut it.

also what maybe helpful.. is do a food diary... to help with counting the calories and the protin log your food also on my fitness pal

let me know hun xx

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if my protein is more than 60g a day but I've been drinking a lot of milk. Does consuming less than 60g really affect weight loss? My hair has been falling out so I guess that means I need more protein?

The ready meals I bought have 6g of fat. It's the main thing I look at when buying food, 7g of fat has been my limit when buying food but I can lower this to 5g if it'll help.

I'm getting a lot of liquids, my urine is always almost clear. I use that as a gauge of my hydration.

Hiya, I don't really look at the calorific value of anything but just have the healthiest option, just making sure i have like Rayne said, I eat 6 proteins a day, 2 fruit 2 veg at least, 2-3 carbs plenty fluid which think you already doing. You are doing really well, I would say try and have something different eacg day for meals e.g. weetabix 1 day, porridge another, yoghurt n fruit another, or whatever you prefer, but keep changing them around, as for ready meals ok now and again, usually aftre Sunday lunch I save enough veg for 3 or 4 days so i just have protein to add to it then you don't have to worry bout what veg you can have cos its already just to heat up, also its fresh veg and you know what salt nfat or sugar is in it then. Its worth a try just to get you started again. Keep going cos you doing excellent. xx

You are doing well. as Chrisa has suggested move things around a bit... the calorie counting works for me but not everybody does it... the protein is important for weight loss... so if you can try and up your protein. eggs, babybel lights, mini pepperami's, chicken, beans etc.
Pre-op i rarely ccoked fresh as couldnt afford it.. but now i do... as Chrisa does..her veg lasts a couple of days... i make meals now and freeze it... so much better than ready meals.. and you know what is in it.
How about saving the ready meals for when you have a busy day and dont have time to cook... and on other days try a bit of cooking. You can eat anything... some things just need tweaking.. ie using low fat stuff, lower sugar etc.
I buy a lot of the sainsburies and iceland party chicken skewers etc.. as they are easy too cook, taste nice and low in fat and sugar...and also high in protein x

Ooh the hair loss... im 6 months post op next week and my hair has been coming out for about 5-6 weeks now... i hve between 60 and 90g protein a day. was told for the first year the nutriunts, vitamins, prtein etc concentrates on the insides of our bodies.. ie making us healthier.. once our insides are sorted out then.. the protien etc will start concentrating on our hair and nails. so the hairloss is temperary.... it does seem quiet drastic as im too scared to brush my hair.... but i just keep telling myself that it will stop and whats a bit of hairloss to being mordly obese... or in my case severely morbidly obese as per my doctor x

Last edited:
I used my fitness pal today and I've only consumed 35g of protein so far (I've had my 3 meals and a snack for today). I'm going to look through the recipes forum to get some ideas on what to cook. I'm going to spend an hour or so and plan my meals for the next 7 days.

There's a lot of things I don't eat including sea food and I'm bored of eating pretty much the same stuff all the time.

I get the results of my blood tests tomorrow so I'll see what the doctor has to say then I'll head to the shops and get some protein shakes.

Hi
Eating the same foods can help you lose weight, sounds crazy but if you google it you will find all the studies on it.
Think i might give it a go.

Kim

if i have a day where i havnt had enough protein... i have an extra snack which is most days of some cheese about 35g in weight and i cut that into tiny bits and nibble with a bag of snack a jacks x

if i have a day where i havnt had enough protein... i have an extra snack which is most days of some cheese about 35g in weight and i cut that into tiny bits and nibble with a bag of snack a jacks x

I have a weak spot for cheese and don't trust myself around it. Cheese for me is like chocolate for others lol.

My GP told me today that my blood tests came back fine. Have healthy levels of everything but my B12 is very high because I've just had the injection. She said I shouldn't need B12 again in 3 months because my levels were fine before the injection. Quite surprised actually considering I was consuming very little calories during the mushy stage due to pain I was having but all is now well!

I get some tummy pain at night when I'm going to sleep, not too much intense but it's uncomfortable enough to disrupt my sleeping. Told the dietitians (they called today) and my GP, they just said to keep an eye on it and see if I can find anything that triggers it. Got pain killers in the mean time.

Dietitian pretty much echoed what everyone else has said here. I should vary my diet a little and eat more crunchier foods, ditch the weetabix and stock up on bran flakes and shredded wheat. I popped in to Morrisons and found that the protein shakes is £15 a tub, which is just stupid and I'm not paying that so I'll just try eat more protein rich foods. :D

Milk will get you your protein in so get enjoying those latte's. Much cheaper than the powder! You can always boost with extra spoon or two of marvel!

I had the sane worries as my loss has been very much the same.

A doc at support group said to me this week yoyp dieting for years and going on extreme diets means my body will be saying 'you ain't doing this to me again' lol. Since then I feel better.

He said concentrate on the positive changes and not the scales. As ultimately the changes will be what create the overall success.

We will get there! :)

Fuffs said:
I had the sane worries as my loss has been very much the same.

A doc at support group said to me this week yoyp dieting for years and going on extreme diets means my body will be saying 'you ain't doing this to me again' lol. Since then I feel better.

He said concentrate on the positive changes and not the scales. As ultimately the changes will be what create the overall success.

We will get there! :)

I'm going to try stay away from the scales for a good while! I shouldn't really be disheartened at a few pounds gain now and again, I've lost so much already so I should focus on being happy with that.

I guess I was in a crappy mood and seeing the gain on the scales just made me feel worse.

Popadopalous said:
I'm going to try stay away from the scales for a good while! I shouldn't really be disheartened at a few pounds gain now and again, I've lost so much already so I should focus on being happy with that.

I guess I was in a crappy mood and seeing the gain on the scales just made me feel worse.

I was the same last Friday. Did a whole thread about it too lol. It's natural. 3lbs seems like a massive gain as you look down at the scales. Well done for getting your positive focus back :) xxx

Back