• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Aftercare what aftercare??? The Hospital Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura.

I am less than happy with many aspects of my aftercare with The Hospital Group.
I know there are threads on it already but I wanted to know a couple of things, who has complained and how they have gone about it and what has it achieved?
I am so pleased I had my surgeon Prof McMahon and I was also very impressed indeed with my advisor Lisa, but now I'm on the other side it's up to other people to send me appointments ect and this is not happening.
I have only seen my surgeon once since my op and that was because I rang up and told them I needed to see him, I had to do the same this friday gone and was assured I would get a phonecall that day but surprise surprise nothing again, hmmm this is getting familiar now.
So I'm 4 and half months post op and have seen him once it's unacceptable, combined with the early days of dietician problems but I think they have sorted that now as it seems much improved.
It's a disgrace that they have pocketed 11k and pretty much abandonned me since I had it done.
Can someone please advise me on what I can do other than a letter or email that will just be ignored.
Has anyone actually got anywhere doing this?
Thanks from frustrated Laura.

Last edited:
Hi Laura

I have also used the hospital group. My op was one week ago and before the op (and before they got any money out of me) they were on the phone every few days. Since the op nothing. I even called them the day before my op to see about transportation and left a message but 8 days on no one has called me back. unfortunately your comments have confirmed my thoughts that their aftercare is rubbish.

They must be regulated and therefore I would complain to them in writing advising that you will take your complaint further if you do not receive a written response to your complaint within 14 working days. If you do not receive a response tell them you intend you write direct to the regulator.

Keep me informed as I have an awful feeling your views will be mine in a few months time!

Vicky

I am so sorry you are having problems. I have seen this many times from people on here. If you have a signed agreement, that is a legal document and they are legally obliged to give you what both sides have agreed to. You should be seen far more regularly than you are. I would complain in writing and send it special delivery or recorded for confirmation.

Hi Laura

I had my band done with THG in May, and yes my aftercare has been non-existent and I've had to chase them up all the way.

The hospital staff were great, as was the surgeon Mr Siggurdson, but I never received any calls after both of my surgeries (had band fitted 25/5/09 and then port replacement op on 16/7/09) to check if I was ok and I've only has 2 dietician chats where I should have had one per month.

I've literally had to beg for a bandfill on 22nd October...I've already paid for this in my package.

I wish that my year with them was over TBH as I, like you and Vicky have been left to my own devices...thank goodness the folks on here have been so helpful :sigh:

I haven't persued a complaint due to other issues going on in my life atm (I don't want the stress) so can't advise you there but I wish you lots of luck if you do :hug99:

Sorry you have had such poor aftercare Laura, it must be awful to just be left to your own devices. There have been lots of threads about this organisation and the poor aftercare people have received, I haven't heard that anyone has persued a written complaint as yet. If you think they would ignore a letter if it were me I would take my contract and go and see the Citizens Advice Bureau to get them to help draft a letter or at least to offer some advice on what you could do to rectify the situation.

Good luck x

Hi well i have not let it go and have shouted from the tree tops .No easy task thou and i am in the process of getting my after care extended and unlimted fills for that time period .I will keep you posted on the process and if they keep to the letter and phone call promises but i have to give them the chance to put right the wrong and we will see keeping my fingers crossed .If they do not i will be taking things further at the end of the day it is a legally binding contract and by law they have to fufil it or pay the consequences watch this space .:sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh::sigh:

as said before in previous posts about these robbers, watchdog would love this story and expose them for what they really are x

Liz's idea is actually a fab one - go on to the BBC website and look for WatchDog - there is an email address and a special complaints form. If you all do it then they will deffo pick up on the story. I personally would threaten them with legal action

Thank-you all for your replies I appreciate knowing I'm not alone.
Although I'm sure my experience is not serious enough for Watchdog I have emailed but I think some on here do have cause to complain to them and it would be followed up.
They can be emailed at [email protected]

I would like to again say that i no way shape or form can I criticise my advisor Lisa, my amazing surgeon or any staff at Leeds Nuffield.
It is the aftercare staff, follow up appointments system and one dietician who I beleive has now left.
The dietician I am in touch with now has kept all telephone appointments and seems very good indeed but those early days when I really needed to speak to someone, I didn't get phone appointments that were kept or replies to emails asking for help for days on end ect...
Reading some stories on here my experience isn't half as bad but it touches a nerve when you just KNOW they don't give a toss about your aftercare.
Good luck everyone, please update if you hear anything or to tell me of anymore aftercare nightmares. Thanks again. x

Laura I have to take all I said about the Hospital Group above back. Got home from work today and there was a message on my answermachine from Lindsay, a senior nurse in the London office of THG.

Appointment for dietician in the post for 17 October and first fill on 7 November. She was lovely and admitted they have had their problems in the past but have a new team and are trying their best to get it right now.

Give her a ring, I am sure she will sort out any issues you have.

Hey everyone,

I've just got back from my op with THG and while I was there they had details on what to do if you have a complaint. I'm not sure any of you would want to take the route they suggest (if you're now cynical, and I certainly wouldn't blame you!) but this is the info if you want it.

Suggested that firstly you contact:

Director of Customer Services,
THG
Stoney Lane
Bromsgrove
B60 1LY

If you don't get a response or don't like the one you do get then the regulator is the Health Quality Commission:

CQC National Correspondence
P.O. Box 1258
Newcastle-upon-tyne
NE33 5AU
phone: 03000 61 61 61
email: Expose Email

Hope this helps?

Thanks

Just a thought - can you complain to the Quality Care Commission? And/or come to that, Trading Standards? Seems to me as though you need to hit as high and as hard as possible! So sorry to hear of yet more disgraceful neglect. Good luck to you all xx

Just a thought - can you complain to the Quality Care Commission? And/or come to that, Trading Standards? Seems to me as though you need to hit as high and as hard as possible! So sorry to hear of yet more disgraceful neglect. Good luck to you all xx

This thread is from 2009 girlygirl1 !

LOL thank you for that! Even so the information given may still be of help to current patients.

I googled 'THG complaints' yesterday, because there seem to be so many people here less than delighted with the level of care received. Lots of posts came up. Many 2012 posts include details of ongoing legal action. Interesting.

I think it's the same with everything, good and bad stories.

I am only early days but have no problems with THG. My pre-op appointments were great and my post op have been as well.

I have emailed and had responses back for a few things within ten minutes each time.

Same here Wobbly...

Girlygirl I realise you don't mean any harm (quite the opposite) but you are constantly posting negative comments on THG. It's making me nervous to be honest although I have nothin but good experiences with them so far. I'm still in the early days and bricking it now that they will be rubbish should anything go wrong :(

Seriously though I lost the will to post recently, it's all doom and gloom in new and old threads by you.

Can't see from my phone if you're a fellow bander, pre op or post op but I wish you luck whatever stage you are in. Please try to be a bit more positive :) x

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I also must say my experience with THG has been great. My aftercare has been really good, dietician appointments and band fills have all happened as planned.
Lilypersian
xx

Actually I believe my first comment on THG was made yesterday, and it was made in direct response to what had been said in older posts. I do not instigate any topics here; I merely reply to existing posts. I am sorry indeed if anything I have written has upset you or anyone else. If you look at my other posts you will find lots of congratulations and good wishes offered in respect of all types of WLS.

I had never heard of THG until I started to read the many posts about it on this site. I had absolutely no prior knowledge of this or any other provider. I always post in support of others. Surely it is not wrong to sympathise with people who are going through a bad time?

Actually I believe my first comment on THG was made yesterday, and it was made in direct response to what had been said in older posts. I do not instigate any topics here; I merely reply to existing posts. I am sorry indeed if anything I have written has upset you or anyone else. If you look at my other posts you will find lots of congratulations and good wishes offered in respect of all types of WLS.

I had never heard of THG until I started to read the many posts about it on this site. I had absolutely no prior knowledge of this or any other provider. I always post in support of others. Surely it is not wrong to sympathise with people who are going through a bad time?

Many of your posts DO offer support for others BUT you do have a tendency to post on the threads of people who are struggling; for example, stats about their chosen surgery failing - that is not supportive at all!

Can you confirm which surgery you have had, it doesn't show on your stats but i'ts useful to know 'who' is offering 'support'.

I may have this wrong, but it is my understanding that girlygirl has not had wls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back