• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Airplane seat space

About 7 months ago I booked my first ever holiday, which included my first ever flight. Ever since I booked it I have been worried about fitting in the airplane seat and getting the belt done up.

Well I have been away on my holiday now. It was really good by the way.

I thought I would share my airplane experience in case anyone else is having similar worries to those I was was. I am about a size 26. Firstly once we were at the gate at the airport it became clear I wasn't unusally big there were at least 3 or 4 people my size or bigger. This made me feel better that if I did need the extension belt I least I wouldn't be the only one on the plane that did. Once on the plane I fit in to the seat fine and the seatbelt did up with extra space. I was so relieved! the only issue I had ater here was that the tray did not come all the way down because of my big tum!! We had a meal on the plane and my tray came down enough for the meal to sit on. All in all it was tight but ok for the 3 hour flight.

On the flight back it was a different story, I could barely fit in the seat and the headphone jack plugged in on the inside of the arm so dug in to my leg very uncomfortably. The seatbelt did not even go near to fastening and the tray did not come down enough to use. It was clearly much less space and much less comfortable. Within the first 4 rows that I was in there were at least 4 people that could not get their seat belt done up. It is confusing why the space was so different because it was a package holiday so I had expected that the planes would be the same.

Hopefully I won't have to worry about this again if I get my surgery date soon but still think it's worth sharing my experience just in case it can help anyone else.

x

There is a vast difference in the size of the plane seats depending on the aircraft. I was 33 stone last time I flew and had the bruises for about a month after the holiday. The other thing was the chairs outside all the pubs and clubs, they are all the cheap plastic type. I have already broken a couple

I too had same experience first way was not too bad but the one home was tiny and i wanted to cry all the way home, i was twenty five stone then. The last time i flew that i can remember being ok with everything i was 19st 10lb im hope to be 17st somthing when i fly next month so i hopeing the flight will be enjoyable x

We fly long haul every year and airplane seats vary enormously. I think seatbelt ends fray over time and get shortened, older planes nearly always have shorter belts. And whoever decided that the INSIDE of seat arms was a good place to put headphone sockets and remote controls ought to be shot ! They make a huge difference to comfort - or rather the lack of !

Try and avoid the first few rows in the section as they invariably have solid seat dividers as opposed to raisable arms, which give you even LESS space ! I couldn't even get my butt into one of these seats last year and had to negotiate changing places with the couple behind. Could have been terribly humiliating but they were lovely.

I can't wait to fly next winter in comfort !!

Rose

Ah yes my WLS lovelies, I am sure you will be much more comfortable next time you fly!

There are some very questionable design choices made on planes though.
x

Its is amazing sometimes how they vary, i've been fortunate pre op not to need an extension but half of my body has leant over to the person next to me and i've had many a dig in the flabby bits from them.The trays would never be flat and i spent many a flight feeling so embarrased and uncomfortable. I'm due to fly to Spain with my pal soon and at 8 stone lighter i'm actually not going to worry for the 1st time in so many years as to who is sitting beside me. Roll on confident and comfortable flights for us all x

This is why I've never had a holiday abroad as I've been so scared of the embarrassment in case I couldn't fit in the seats etc. I'm saving up for my first ever holiday abroad at the minute, my whole family are coming with me to Corfu and I'm very much looking forward to actually going somewhere warm for once!!

We go with Thomas Cook and I am 5ft 3" and 17stone 11lbs. The seat belt just about reached although it wasnt very comfortable and agree about the ear phone jack sticking in the inside of your leg.

My hubbies is very helpful because my tray doesnt go done fully he allows me to put my drinks on his, cause if you laugh with your tray balanced on your wobblely bellie - the drinks spill..... LOL:eek:

I am an expert at walking sideways like a crab down the ailse now. With surgery on 24th May and hols booked for Nov I am hoping all these problems will be resolved.:):)

It does depend on the aircraft type that yr flying on... older planes such as 737's etc will not have the space that an A320 (for example) will have & I think that as we as a generation get bigger the designs & requirements on an aircraft also change. Most charter airlines operate several different aircraft so if you fly out one type it doesn't mean that you'll fly back on the same type home.

To get extra space its always worth asking when you check in if there are any bulkhead seats left, they're normally prebookable but if you don't ask you don't get. xx

Tip no1... there are websites where you can check the seat layout for each type of plane used by each airline. (Just because it's a 737 doesn't mean it'll be set up the same for a different airline...).

Tip no2... some seat layouts reduce from 3 abreast to 2 at the rear where the shape of the plane narrows. If you can pre-book your seat before flying it's worth booking these if you're a couple. And there's generally a bit more space between the window seat and the side of the plane.

Rose

Tip no1... there are websites where you can check the seat layout for each type of plane used by each airline. (Just because it's a 737 doesn't mean it'll be set up the same for a different airline...).

Tip no2... some seat layouts reduce from 3 abreast to 2 at the rear where the shape of the plane narrows. If you can pre-book your seat before flying it's worth booking these if you're a couple. And there's generally a bit more space between the window seat and the side of the plane.

Rose

Good to know about the aisles of 2 seats!

I had checked on the different sites about the planes used by my airline but they only really talk about seat pitch from what I could see and that was not my main concern it was the seat width that bothered me.
x

To get extra space its always worth asking when you check in if there are any bulkhead seats left, they're normally prebookable but if you don't ask you don't get. xx

I know that with my operator they said that if you are 'obese' you cannot book the extra space seats. Otherwise I definitely would have!
x

The main problem of pre booking in the crieria the airlines put on the seats with extra seats. Last year I was over 30 stone, had assistance to get to the plane and had to walk with a stick, I could not bend my leg properly. I was told by the pre booking clerk that I didnt fit the criteria. Lucky for me when we checked in they gave me a seat right at the front of the plane. The seat was tight but the arm rest moved and my daughted sat next to me so I could share some of her seat.
This year, hopefully, will be much better.
At the end of the day any pain or discomfort is worth 2 weeks in the sun

Good to know about the aisles of 2 seats!

I had checked on the different sites about the planes used by my airline but they only really talk about seat pitch from what I could see and that was not my main concern it was the seat width that bothered me.
x

There is a website that compares seat widths... I found it a couple of years ago but can't remember where. You could try Googling ? I know I was shocked at the variation. We were due to fly Jet Airways at the time and I was delighted to see they have the widest seats of any economy class. And yes, they were comfortable !

Rose

I fly quite often and I find it difficult getting into the seats but thankfully I normally only do short haul flights.

I have my own seat belt extension and this saves the embarrssment of asking a snooty size 0 for one. Also I never sit in the emergency seat row (although I would like to as they have more leg room) as if you sit in the emergency row seat they will move you as it is not safe apparently to have a person using a seat belt extension sitting in the way of the emergency. (dont get me started on that one). Also, if you sit there they will wait until everyone is seated and about to take off and then ask you to move!

As for the tablets, what I normally do is ask for my food on a tray and fill the space between the tray and my lap with my jacket/cardi or a cushion provided by them and that usually works.

Also I always sit in the window seat. Yes, it is more difficult to get in there but at least I can stay there and not have to move when the person inside me wants to go for a wander.

What a great website ! Thanks

Rose

Back