• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

How long before you can drive or fly after op

I'm having my op next Tuesday 19th. A by pass. I was just wondering how long before I can drive my car again. How long did it take you to get back in the driving seat?

Also, how long before I can get a short one hour flight to Ireland?

I would have thought with a profile name like emerging butterfly the flying question would be quite an important one.... lol :cool::D

Hi

I am sure I read somewhere its up to 6 weeks before driving ( all depending on wot op ur having etc) , your carers should provide all this information for you anyhow ., also marg had her op and I think a week later she flew home to ireland.

All the best - MeJulie

i was told not to drive for 6 weeks but i did after 4 and was fine. although im now nearly 7 weeks and only drove that once... think i was testing to see if i was ok :) x

Mr Ammori told me as soon as I felt able to do an emergency stop then I could drive. Think I left it to just under 2 weeks post op and I felt fine.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Good advice about the emergency stop.

I would have thought with a profile name like emerging butterfly the flying question would be quite an important one.... lol :cool::D

:) Oh trust me the butterfly will emerge and fly in due course....just watch this space lol

I was told I could drive as soon as I could do an emergency stop - which was after 2 weeks as we needed to come home as my in-laws were looking after me and dad-in-law has dementia.

HOWEVER it does also depend what your insurance company says - and what ur surgeon says

After my knee replacement it was 6 weeks then another 2 were added cos I didn't have sufficient bend

So I'm afraid it's a case of doing as you are told or it invalidates ur insurance :(

Don't know about flying - sorry

Angela x

I flew home after four days. Can't remember much about the flight though!

Driving was about ten days when the wounds healed up a little.

U

U

Hi
I was told its 10 - 14 days, you are not insured for the first 10 days. you must be able to do an demergency stop.
this is for teh band dont know if teh bypass is teh same
x
helen

Good advice people. The pressure is off a little now s I dont have to go back to work for a few weeks so I can take my time getting back in the driving seat so to speak.

Hi in was told 6 weeks to drive and i flew a 4 hour flight in 8 weeks after open bypass and was fine all the best jeff

Driving it all depends on the type of surgery, i was told by my surgeon it would depend on my insurance company, but to be honest, theres no way i'll be driving two weeks after an open bypass....

I've said it before and i'll say it again, you dont realise what abdominal muscles you're using until they're a bit delicate xx

ps as for flying the only flying i'll be doing is off the handle if the kids drive me nuts post surgery lol x

Back