• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The fizzy drink debate :)

Roch

Shrinking away nicely :)
Hi all, i was just wondering how many of u have a diet fizzy drink occasionally and let it go flat with lots of ice in it.
Please dont condemn me :) as i have been craving some fizz badly more than any other cravings and yesterday on my birthday i had a diet coke in a very tall glass with loads of ice, and waited till i was de fizzed and thoroughly enjoyed it, and drank it over an 90 min period.
I dont go out very often, so it would be maybe a couple of times a month, and would like to be able to drink something more than a bottle of water when i go out and i dont really drink alcohol, what do you drink when u go out as its so hard when u r in a pub or club so all ideas would be truly appreciated pls :)

Can fizzy drinks really stretch your pouch, is there proven data on this and if had in moderation like a glass every few weeks would i really be doing harm to my pouch and my losses, as if i would be obviously it would not be worth it and i would not have it.

Ty and take care luv Roch xxx

Roch, I do have to admit that I have done exactly the same. It is just occasionally and I don't think it will do any harm as all the fizz is gone.

Hopefully someone will be along later that can tell us some more.

I waiting till about 10 months post op, and i had champagne... mainly as im getting married next month and wanted to make sure id be okay with a glass on my wedding day...

I drank it fizzy... it didnt hurt, it was fine!

Since then i have had it once more and braved a sip of my oh's fizzy pop once.

I dont do it often... three times since my op.

I personally think if it little and not very often it should be okay.

stretching your pouch can and does happen... however, like a normal tummy, it can shrink back a little also.

.x.

My surgeon and company both said some fizzy drinks are fine in moderation and that there is no evidence of pouch stretching. I have had maybe three half glasses since my operation and have had no ill affects.

I thought the problem would be sort of overflow. Imagine pouring champagne into a shot glass. It would bubble over and hence if a by passer or bander drunk it it would overflow and 'come up'. I guess if you sip sip sip and only do it occassionally it would be okay. I don't have nmy operation until Wednesday morning so I can only guess. I shall be so pleased if I am able to tolerate a bit of fizzy now and then. Wish me luck for Wednesday

Fizzy xx

Interesting post.

As you know Roch, I only drink plain water when I go out (yes I am know I am anal about some things). However, I just wanted to say that I got used to it. Fizzy drinks was the hardest thing for me to give up and I missed them like hell for about two months but I got used to it. For me, and I dont want to be sound goody two shoes or anything, but I find that fizzy drinks make you want to drink more and more and it is easier for me to substain rather than to have to limit myself. But it is different for everyone. Personally, in all the books I have read about surgery I have read nothing concrete to say that gassy or fizzy drinks stretch your stomach.

I have the odd can of pepsi max and it goes down a treat!

I tried some diet coke for the time yesterday, only about 50ml, I just fancied some. I didn't wait for it to go flat :rolleyes: but sipped carefully and had no problems at all. I wouldn't make a habit of it but it was nice for a change.

Cuppa xx

Had diet coke/pepsi for months occasionally just sip it with lots of ice, no problems but won't allow myself to have it every day as I used to drink gallons of it.

M

I've not tried fizzy drinks as I'm paranoid of undoing all my good work by stretching my pouch. I'm also a bit anal about the 30 mins wait to drink after eating etc. I've swapped my addiction from fizzy to latte's. That might change if we get some hot weather in summer though as in the past fizzy drinks were the only thing that would quench my thirst.

I have not had fizzy coke but have had sparkling water lemon and lime flavour I usually leave it to go flat but have had the odd sip when it has been fizzy but scared my pouch will stretch otherwise i would have the odd glass of diet coke when out xxxx

i have the ocasionall glass of sparklin flavoured water, i sip it not ulp it and its been fine, ive only just started to have it not tried cola or other fizzys like that though....................kath x

As you know i'm pre op and i love my diet coke/pepsi max but have slowly weaned myself off that and more squash instead! I too worry about the stretching of the pouch, but more importantly for me fizzy pop gives me gas, i wonder where the hell those massive burps come from then i realise it's my stomach. No way i want that strength of rumble in my little tum post op!

Good post Roche xx

I haven't tried any fizzy drinks, i don't want the pain of trapped wind , so i stick with water or squash , on the odd occasion i go out i ask for squash , not been a problem so far .

I've heard there is something in pepsi and coca cola that can harm the staples, how true that is I don't know but so far I've avoided it like the plague.
hugs
Sandra x

I was told by a weight loss surgery dietician you shouldent drink fizzy drinks as over time bit by bit it stretches your pouch ,you wont notice at first ,like after a year or so .

Im presuming thats only because of the gas

Last edited:
Back