• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Alcohol post bypass

yorkshirelass74

Hi
i know that the protocol re alcohol post bypass is 1 yr, but i was wondering if anybody had some before. I am not a drinker at all, you can count on one hand he amount of times i drink in a year but my friend is having a night in a couple of weeks and was wondering if one or 2 glasses of wine will kill me, i am 6 weeks post op tomorrow,
thanks guys
xxx

Hi Mona
I had my first drink (vodka and diet coke) at 4 months post op, i sipped it very slowly having taken the fizz out of it and although it went to my head right away the effect disappeared just as quick. I'm like you only an occasional social drinker and so far i've continued as one without being able to consume as much as i did before though x

I was told no alcohol for 12 months.

The reasoning was that as obese people our livers have taken a battering and that alcohol is a gastric irritant and our new tums need lots of TLC.

When special occassions called for a drink I had fruit juice :(

Till the year was up :)

xx

I too asked this on another thread. Soooo many conflicting replies.... think ill just ask my surgeon lol xxx

each surgeon has his own views on alcohol post surgery.

My team advocate no alcohol for 12 months, but I have had the occasional glass of wine since about 6 months or so.

I've had the occasional half glass of wine, sipped very slowly (am having a nice glass of red right now !) I haven't tried any spirits yet though.

My hospital diet sheet says: "It is important to keep alcohol to a minimum as it is high in calories but an occasional alcoholic drink is acceptable. Avoid mixing spirits or cocktails with high calorie mixes such as cola, but use diet mixes, tonic or soda water."

I was 3 months post op and was on holiday but I only had vodka with loads of ice

last night i had a couple of brandy and diet cokes with friends went down fine but have to admit feel a bit rough this morning and that was only 2 drinks, x

My hubby will love this then he will always have a driver not a row that I drove last time, or his usual try of i'll drive there you drive back....sure he thinks im stupid

I tried wine about 2 months post op, I could only manage ½ a glass, and thats about my lot still. I can drink Vodka mixed with orange juice, but I have to have loads of ice and it lasts me ages.

Back