• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

some questions for post bypassers

joylouise

Hi everyone
Im wondering what to do about the works christmas meal, id like to go as if i dont ill look like a party pooper but am i gonna be able to eat anything? im 2 weeks post op now and did fine on the soup bit and struggling with the puree stage, cant imagine ever being able to eat 'normal' again??????

Its also my mother in laws 80th on thursday, and whoopdie do we are going for a meal (did you sence the sarcasm?) im going to have soup and say that im not feeling well but what does everyone drink at the pub? We cant have fizzy so diet coke is out and cant have alcohol. Any suggestions?

When can you have alcohol again? Im not a big drinker anyway as im normally the one driving but it would be nice to have something christmas/birthdays ect...

Alcohol is a tricky one, really probably you shouldnt have it at all, its up to you, just be very careful and dont have much as you will be a huge lightweight. I would see if they have any kids no added sugar drinks or have mineral water or tap water with some lime or something. Or have lots of ice and stir all the fizz out (but thats a personal choice thing you need to be careful with it)

You'll never eat as you did before but you should be able to eat 'normal' food after 12 weeks.

I was a big drinker pre op mainly sparkling wine. However, I couldnt drink wine after as it gave me the runs.

I can now drink vodka and orange, you are still quite early in your journey, could you not have plain orange juice with ice.

Or if you wanted say you have an upset tummy and just have water to go with the soup. xxxx

You didn't say when your christmas party is but if you will be around 6 weeks post-op or more then I say go - you'll be fine.

As for the 80th party and drinks. One white wine wouldn't hurt. But also I have found I can drink J2O's but that may not be the same for everyone as I can take quite a bit of sugar before dumping. How about a fruit juice and a water and mix them?

Thanks for the replies, i think i wrote it wrong, i wasnt planning on drinking alcohol at the 80th, or the christmas do i was just wondering when you can.

I know that ill never eat how i did before but can people tell me roughly what they can manage when they eat out? I know there will be some food i cant tollerate for a long time but are there some 'easy' options?

Everyone is different hun. I would say pasta is your easiest choice but some can struggle with pasta. I can now manage a starter, or a childs portion of main course or half an adults main course. I also can now manage all foods except fish (found I can manage chicken just today) but again, some people are far more restricted in what they can eat. It's simply a case of try it out and see how you are.

At your stage soup or mash the potato from a jacket potato, after you get on to 'normal' foods its hit and miss, try things out at home before trying them out incase you dont tolerate it. Im on soft foods at the moment and would still only do soup or potato really if I was out just so I know it would be ok, after that I will see whats ok at home and then go from there, but I dont go out much.

Im just short of 4 weeks out so I cant really help! I would imagine in a few more weeks though there would be a few things I would try if I went out for a meal. Jacket potato, anything with mash and gravy, soup....sorry lol....not much help :D XX

I was told no alcohol for a year - the liver takes time to recover from the weight loss.

We don't go out much - but last weekend went to a pub for Sunday lunch and I just ate what I could and left the rest - was horrified on a previous occassion when Mum-in-law said I'd had an op and couldn't eat much and I still got a large amount of food. I'd only comment if they asked if the food was alright when I'd left it.

I just ate my meat and left my veggies!! LOL

Just enjoy yourself

xx

Hi. I'm 4 weeks out and can eat fish easily, soft meat if its shreddable for example soft beef, super thin lamb etc. Chicken beats me, but all veg and cheese have been fine. I plan to choose salmon, or soup or similar at my meals. I think if its another 4+ weeks away you should be fine and can practice with whatever is in the menu in the weeks leading up to the meal.

I drink fresh orange in pubs BUT don't forget you cart eat with food so it might not matter anyway xx

You could do the traditional xmas dinner by having gravy pot and veg and shred your turkey up well, ask for extra gravy if you have to keep it nice and moist. As for alcohol i had my 1st drink about 3.5 months post op( vodka and diet coke) i only had two over the course of about 6 hours and that first one had me feeling as if i had drunk lots. By the time your meal comes along at christmas you will also have gained in confidence about food and not be thinking"i'll never eat again" so hopefully you will see something you like and will go for it. Good luck xx

The first few meals out I had I just had a childs shepherds pie, it is sloppy and yet tasty.
I was about seven weeks post op last Christmas and I managed a few well chewed nibbles of turkey, some mashed veg (carrot and turnip a la my dad...yummmmmm) some stuffing and some mashed potato with plenty of gravy and I LOVED it...I also had a sprout I think (I ADORE sprouts). Everyone expected me to be eating differently because they knew about the surgery, so they were very understanding. I did enjoy feeling more normal.
Good luck and have fun.x
Steph xx

I drink fresh orange in pubs BUT don't forget you cart eat with food so it might not matter anyway xx

You might want to be careful with fresh orange juice. Its rather acidic I believe and can cause irritation to your pouch. It's also full of sugars albeit fructose and might just cause dumping in some, In addition its just empty calories

Alcohol is definitely to be avoided for at least six months, a year if you can do without it, and make sure the first time you do try it, that you do so at home. You will feel a greater effect post op at first than you did pre op. I've seen post oppers make a complete plonker out of themselves drinking booze post op :D:D

By Christmas you will be on solid food and though your days of gut busting extravaganzas are gone, you should be OK to eat a small amount of Chrimbo dinner by then

i just told my work mates i refuse to pay about £40 for a night out where if i'm driving i will only be able to drink water (not done well with fruit juices personally) and won't be able to eat hardly anything from the menu other than maybe the starter lol

I wasn't told not to drink alcohol:confused:.

I had a few glasses of wine about 2 months ago - approx 3 months post op. I was a little tipsy, but nothing too bad.

I'm not a regular drinker, but if I'm out I'll have a few.

I drink sweet German wines - I used to love Asti - but it's a no-no due to fizz :(, or vodka with some sort of juice.

My first and only concern is this.......... You're going to be forking out around £30 for a 3 course meal for which you will have a bowl of soup, a bit of mash and possibly some gravy? (ps not many restaurants do mash so it will probably be whole pots) I personally would begrudge that, in fact i'm begrudging it on your account! To make life easier why don't you just consider gate crashing the disco that usually accompanies these things after? I can eat most things but have refrained the christmas do as i begrduge spending £30 on a bowl of soup, a bit of meat n veg and a pud (yes i can eat pud without dumping)....

As for drinking, water your OJ down, i tend to go for about 70% OJ, 30%Water...

Enjoy the party season xxx

I drink watered down apple juice when I'm out. I'm going to a Christmas meal, but since i know the restaurant owners very well, I'm going to ask them to do me a child's portion.

I'm also going out for a Christmas meal & have phoned the restaurant to explain I've had stomach surgery & could I have a childs main meal portion & I won't be paying £35 for it!

Julie i agree with you about the 'begrudging' bit. There wont be a disco after, i work in a small office and to be honest theres only a couple of people there i like anyway! I think im gonna just get out of it, not sure how yet but I have been thinking about it and sod them, ive been off work 3 weeks after my op and not one of them has rung or emailed to ask how i am.

xx

Back