• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Cautionary tale re alcohol

chivasgirl

Hi there. I have a friend who lives in East Timor who introduced me online to a friend of hers, who she went to a party with on Saturday night. Tracey, my friend, and Elvira, the new friend, had a great night. Tracey spent all of Sunday in bed with a hangover. Elvira spent Sunday in hospital with alcohol poisoning.

Elvira had 4 beers. She is 8 months out of surgery and has had no other problems at all.

I'm just under 2 weeks out of surgery, so alcohol hasn't even entered my mind, but it will in the future. This has made me think to be a bit more careful than I might have been and to really take it easy. 4 beers isn't alot, not considering what I know others have consumed in one evening... Take it easy girls and guys!!!

Flipping heck
thats not good but then again 4 beers now and I am anyones lol so it will be a cheap night out after my band x
Is it more with the bypass or both ?

I would have thought the bypass is more dangerous to drink too much - the changes to the plumbing are what cause the issues I think because the alcohol goes into your liver much quicker - or something like that!!! The band just restricts the amount of larger food you can get through doesn't it, in one go, whereas the bypass is complete replumbing of your digestive system... I think this warrants further research, so I am going to start looking at medical reports etc if I can find anything.

Don't want to do this to scare anyone - my virgin wine account has £200 in it at the moment and I'm hoping to order some top notch wine for Xmas time! - but I do think it warrants mentioning.

Which opp had Elvira ?

I was on the understanding that you can't drink fizzy pop/alchohol??

She had a bypass. I think it's recommended not to drink fizzy drinks, although I don't know for how long. I have read an interesting article in Bariatric Times about alcohol. Happily forward the link if anyone wants it, pm me.

Hi again... I'd like to read about it please if you can forward it to me?
I hope she is feeling better now?

My son asked me yesterday how I would cope not having diet coke as that is all I drink through the day... I said I would have to learn to go without or let it go flat to drink it. I've read in a few places about fizzy drinks, but as i've not had the opp yet I don't know how true it is. x

I was told no alcohol or fizzy pop for 12 months after my bypass

Im a bander...been over 16 months since my operation. I have fizzy drinks, but let them go flat a bit first, also dont drink them too cold as they come back up really quickly.
I certainly cant drink the quantities I used to and prefer water now - didnt think I would ever say that!

I'm not a drinker anyway as I'm a whimp and don't like the taste of it and can't cope with hangovers lol. Good to know though. I used to live on fizzy drinks especially coke/pepsi but not had any since my op and only drink plain water now. Thought I'd be on flavoured but it tasts too sweet for me.

I know this has got nothing to do with alcohol - but due to the pain i have (post-op) and not sleep well (waking up anywhere from 3 - 4.40am with pain) i asked my GP if i could have a sleeping tablet to get a good sleep and she said i could only have one (crushed of course). So i did that on the Monday night - but due to the tennis i stayed up until the match finished, my husband got my tablet crushed put it in a teaspoon of yoghurt (still yuk) and from walking to the stairs from the kitchen (and i don't live in a mansion) i started to feel woosy!!! Got upstairs lay on the bed and the next thing i knew it was 6.15am - Gary said he came upstairs about 1 min after me to find me asleep on the bed!!!! So just be careful the new plumbing really works in some strange ways and i'm glad i asked my GP's advice because if i hadn't i would have taken 2 of my tablets and STILL been sleeping!!!!

I was told no alchol or fizzy stuff for 12 months I confess I have been out a couple of times since my op and had a drink(vodka) Got tipsy quicker but also sobered up quicker

Back